Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NBD Wabi Classic

Old 05-05-20, 03:51 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
NBD Wabi Classic

I got a new bike! It's a Wabi Classic 42cm (because I'm short). It's currently set up on the freewheel; I've got too many messed up body parts to be able to comfortably ride a fixed gear.

So far, I've put about 100 miles on it, riding it everyday for the last week. The 46/17 ratio is a little spinny on flats but it keeps NYC bridges manageable. I might swap out the 17t for a 16t cog instead. It's a super smooth and nimble ride although it defitnitely doesn't feel as "solid" as my 23lb road bike. What can I say, I'm not used to riding anything under 20lbs. The frame only fits 650c wheels, I got curious and tried 700c - they don't fit.

If anybody has questions about Wabi or is vertically challenged like me and is curious about the 42cm size in particular, feel free to ask. I'm very happy with this bike and I recommend you check out Wabi Cycles if you're interested in a single speed.

Drive side

NDS

Front

Rear

Last edited by sdimattia; 05-05-20 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 10:32 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
I got a new bike! It's a Wabi Classic 42cm (because I'm short). It's currently set up on the freewheel; I've got too many messed up body parts to be able to comfortably ride a fixed gear.

So far, I've put about 100 miles on it, riding it everyday for the last week. The 46/17 ratio is a little spinny on flats but it keeps NYC bridges manageable. I might swap out the 17t for a 16t cog instead. It's a super smooth and nimble ride although it defitnitely doesn't feel as "solid" as my 23lb road bike. What can I say, I'm not used to riding anything under 20lbs. The frame only fits 650c wheels, I got curious and tried 700c - they don't fit.

If anybody has questions about Wabi or is vertically challenged like me and is curious about the 42cm size in particular, feel free to ask. I'm very happy with this bike and I recommend you check out Wabi Cycles if you're interested in a single speed.

Drive side

NDS

Front

Rear
is that a pearl white? That’s really nice. I just ordered mine in pearl white.

question, what saddle do you have on your bike?
Old 06-29-20, 10:41 PM
sdimattia

Originally Posted by jay4usc
is that a pearl white? That’s really nice. I just ordered mine in pearl white.

question, what saddle do you have on your bike?
It's actually Mineral Gray. When I first got the bike, I thought it was white. But it's got the slightest gray tinge which looks nicer than it sounds . . .

Regarding the saddle, it's an Ergon SM Sport. They make women and men's saddles. Reasonable weight and comfortable, I never found a need to change it so it's the one I stuck with for all my bikes. My butt has very little "natural" padding but I don't find it uncomfortable at all.

I've ridden my Wabi probably 1000 miles at this point. Got t-boned by a car the other week and it held up great. It has a small dent and some scratches now but that's to be expected. In other words, I love it!

Can't wait to hear what you think about yours!
Old 06-29-20, 10:51 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

It's actually Mineral Gray. When I first got the bike, I thought it was white. But it's got the slightest gray tinge which looks nicer than it sounds . . .

Regarding the saddle, it's an Ergon SM Sport. They make women and men's saddles. Reasonable weight and comfortable, I never found a need to change it so it's the one I stuck with for all my bikes. My butt has very little "natural" padding but I don't find it uncomfortable at all.

I've ridden my Wabi probably 1000 miles at this point. Got t-boned by a car the other week and it held up great. It has a small dent and some scratches now but that's to be expected. In other words, I love it!

Can't wait to hear what you think about yours!
sorry to hear about your accident. Wow I swear that color was white, surprised me when i read mineral gray. I would of gotten the mineral gray if it was available but they are sold out.

I have been shopping for a saddle as I know I will want to swap mine when it arrives. I was actually looking at the Ergon SM Sport and the Brooks C-17. I noticed the shaped of your saddle and had a feeling it was a Ergon. It also looks really nice on the bike. So the saddle feels good for 30+ miles?
Old 06-30-20, 02:58 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

Nothing wrong with Freewheeling them!

BTW i think a 46/16 is a harder spin than a 48/17, its been too long since I looked at the ratios. I rode them all starting with 48/17 then 48/16
48/16 was an absolute blast in South Miami. back in Ohio I went to a 46/16 then back to a 48/17, now I am on absoluteblack 50t to a 17 white industry freewheel.

No I never bought the Wabi, Kinda wished I did though. I sometimes (still) look at the Wabi thunder.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 06-30-20, 08:20 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Great bike, glad you’re ok.

I’m starting to think rumors of Wabi’s demise in this forum are just a bit exaggerated.
Old 06-30-20, 08:27 AM
sdimattia

sorry to hear about your accident. Wow I swear that color was white, surprised me when i read mineral gray. I would of gotten the mineral gray if it was available but they are sold out.

I have been shopping for a saddle as I know I will want to swap mine when it arrives. I was actually looking at the Ergon SM Sport and the Brooks C-17. I noticed the shaped of your saddle and had a feeling it was a Ergon. It also looks really nice on the bike. So the saddle feels good for 30+ miles?
I usually only ride 20-30 miles at a time but the saddle feels comfortable for that distance. I assume it would be fine for longer rides but I can't speak from personal experience. I'm doing a half century in September, although that might be a little too late by then

Ergon also makes a Gel version of the Sport SM. No noticeable difference between that and the regular. Maybe a tiny bit cushier but not worth the extra bucks IMO.
Old 06-30-20, 08:32 AM
sdimattia

Originally Posted by walnutz
Great bike, glad you’re ok.

I’m starting to think rumors of Wabi’s demise in this forum are just a bit exaggerated.
Thanks, I was more worried about the bike!

I don't think Wabi is losing popularity but, it also doesnt have the same huge base that some other fixed/ss brands do like Cinelli, Dolan, State, etc. Once you have a Wabi though, they are very nice bikes. I think also, the changeover of owners might have something to do with the supposed "demise". Never had a Wabi when the original owner was still in charge but the new guys are still making quality bikes now.
Old 06-30-20, 08:43 AM
sdimattia

Originally Posted by Metieval

BTW i think a 46/16 is a harder spin than a 48/17, its been too long since I looked at the ratios. I rode them all starting with 48/17 then 48/16
48/16 was an absolute blast in South Miami. back in Ohio I went to a 46/16 then back to a 48/17, now I am on absoluteblack 50t to a 17 white industry freewheel.

No I never bought the Wabi, Kinda wished I did though. I sometimes (still) look at the Wabi thunder.
My current ratio of 46/17 puts me at 66 GI, going to a 16t would give me 70 GI. I'm sure lots of people say 66 GI is low for flat NYC (which it can be), but it's low enough to get up bridges and big hills (if you're familiar with New York, think Broadway from 170th St to 96th St). Or maybe I just have weak legs, I don't know . . .

If you do eventually spring for the Wabi (Urban or Cross?) Thunder, you will not be disappointed! I wish they made a 42cm Urban Thunder, it seems like the perfect commuting rig.
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 06-30-20, 10:56 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Metieval

I’m from So Cali and everything is flat here so i went with the 46/16t and upgraded to the Deluxe freewheel. I’m not sure of the difference but am hoping it’s worth the upgrade. I was thinking of buying the white industries but it so damn noisy.
Old 06-30-20, 11:00 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

I usually only ride 20-30 miles at a time but the saddle feels comfortable for that distance. I assume it would be fine for longer rides but I can't speak from personal experience. I'm doing a half century in September, although that might be a little too late by then

Ergon also makes a Gel version of the Sport SM. No noticeable difference between that and the regular. Maybe a tiny bit cushier but not worth the extra bucks IMO.
thanks for the advice as I was considering the Gel. At the moment the prices are very similar including the Brooks C-17 priced at $80. May have to test both saddles out.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 06-30-20, 04:05 PM
sdimattia

I’m from So Cali and everything is flat here so i went with the 46/16t and upgraded to the Deluxe freewheel. I’m not sure of the difference but am hoping it’s worth the upgrade. I was thinking of buying the white industries but it so damn noisy.
I have the Deluxe freewheel on my Wabi. It makes a pleasant whizzing noise the is by no means "quiet" but I don't find it annoyingly loud either. I have no experience with other SS freewheels that I could reference though. If I do get the 16t freewheel, I'd stick with the one Wabi offers. No reason to spend lots more if I'm happy with the brand I have now.
Old 06-30-20, 04:30 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

I have the Deluxe freewheel on my Wabi. It makes a pleasant whizzing noise the is by no means "quiet" but I don't find it annoyingly loud either. I have no experience with other SS freewheels that I could reference though. If I do get the 16t freewheel, I'd stick with the one Wabi offers. No reason to spend lots more if I'm happy with the brand I have now.

Did they charge you as an upgrade for your deluxe freewheel? I’m running 19t freewheel on the other side instead of the fix cog. I didn’t upgrade the 19t and just left it as a standard freewheel.
Old 06-30-20, 04:38 PM
sdimattia

Did they charge you as an upgrade for your deluxe freewheel? I’m running 19t freewheel on the other side instead of the fix cog. I didn’t upgrade the 19t and just left it as a standard freewheel.
I actually bought just the frameset as I originally had a converted 1987 Trek road frame that I was using as a SS. When I finally sprung for the Wabi, I bought the frameset, compact drops, freewheel, seatpost, and wheelset. I already had the brakes, saddle, and crankset. The deluxe freewheel was on sale for $34 when I got it.

On the "Build Your Wabi Customizer" page, I think you can upgrade the freewheel for $10-15 as part of the build but Wabi has disabled that page due to low inventory. You could probably email them and ask what it'd cost to upgrade, they're very nice, helpful people.
Old 06-30-20, 04:42 PM
sdimattia

jay4usc I'm curious, what kind of handlebars did you set your build up with?

I'm currently running compact drops which I love but I rarely use the drops. Thinking about trying out some bullhorns with brakes on the ends . . .

When I originally tried out a 42cm frame a few months before buying, the flat bars paired with the 90mm stem was alarmingly squirelly and I felt like I was riding a child's tricycle. It was actually why I was hesitant to buy the bike right then and there. So, I definitely need the reach of either dropbars or bullhorns but I figured if I'm not using the drops very much then bullhorns wouldn't be too bad either.

Last edited by sdimattia; 06-30-20 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-30-20, 04:47 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

jay4usc I'm curious, what kind of handlebars did you set your build up with?

I'm currently running compact drops which I love but I rarely use the drops. Thinking about trying out some bullhorns with brakes on the ends . . .

i ordered the 42cm bullhorns. Like you, I wouldn’t use the drops and reason why I went with the bullhorns. I also went with the top mount brake levers bc that’s what I’m used to from my old bike but I was considering the end brake levers.

My freewheel upgrade was $15 and I’m sure it’s worth it.
Old 06-30-20, 04:51 PM
sdimattia

i ordered the 42cm bullhorns. Like you, I wouldn’t use the drops and reason why I went with the bullhorns. I also went with the top mount brake levers bc that’s what I’m used to from my old bike but I was considering the end brake levers.

My freewheel upgrade was $15 and I’m sure it’s worth it.
Hmmm . . . alrighty. I'll probably go ahead and order the bullhorns then soon. Let me know what you think of your new Wabi!
Old 06-30-20, 04:53 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Hmmm . . . alrighty. I'll probably go ahead and order the bullhorns then soon. Let me know what you think of your new Wabi!

Old 06-30-20, 04:55 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Like yourself I rarely used the drops on my Langster. After 11yrs I finally swapped the drops to Origin8 pursuit bullhorns with tektro barend brake levers.
The Langster has become my favourite bike for solo rides.......

Old 06-30-20, 04:58 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Like yourself I rarely used the drops on my Langster. After 11yrs I finally swapped the drops to Origin8 pursuit bullhorns with tektro barend brake levers.

sweet ride...is there an advantage of using barend brake levers over top mount?
Old 06-30-20, 05:01 PM
sdimattia

That is a gorgeous steed you got there!
Old 06-30-20, 05:05 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

sweet ride...is there an advantage of using barend brake levers over top mount?
Thanks......I think it comes down to personal preference.
I like the top mount levers when riding my Hybrid but when I'm on the Langster I'm usually in a more aggressive position with my hands in the Superman stretch so the lever are right where I want/need them.
Old 06-30-20, 05:08 PM
Speedway2

That is a gorgeous steed you got there!
Thanks.....but the classic lines of the Wabi are hard to beat!

Last edited by Speedway2; 06-30-20 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-30-20, 09:26 PM
Metieval

Do I love it yes! Was it worth it? probably not! I'd have been better of putting that money into a Wabi wheelset.

I have a 16t Dicta that is very smooth, but it happened over time, after every ride I would lay the bike on its side and let triflow seep into the freewheel. The Problem being, It then became an absolute must that it was lubed for every ride. It's a love hate thing, Thin lube is fast, but thin lube is crap for lasting very long. and it gets dirty. So the Dicta was replaced with a shimano 17t sf-mx30, which led me to buying the White industry freewheel. It's a Drag thing. The same drag that I can feel when a chain jockeys through the arm of a rear derailleur which makes singlepseeding so much fun. no I won't Fixie, lol

Crappy picture, but the lastest version, good enough for B group rides with a few hills thrown in. In groups I can do pulls, Or I can be the last in line, but It doesn't reallyt work anywhere else in the line up. Plus people jet jittery when you pedal stop pedal stop, just to maintain their pace. and my legs are like whaaaaa ya doing !>?!>!>********** It's my solo riding bike, but I am moving so letting it all go.

maybe some day I can get a SSCX bike. something with an eccentric BB to allow me more wheelset choices.

Old 06-30-20, 09:28 PM
Metieval

Thanks.....but the classic lines of the Wabi are hard to beat!

This! I've loved my ss ride, but.... Wabi are beautiful bikes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.