Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Yates getting traded

Old 09-20-22, 08:55 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Yates getting traded

from Ineos to .. AE, right? Ooof. Not sure how I feel about that!
Old 09-20-22, 10:10 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 444 Posts
Our Adam signed the contract, so he clearly feels OK about it.

Maybe he'll make a good super domestique for Ayuso.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-20-22, 11:36 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Traded? Not really a thing in professional cycling. Ineos wanted him to take a big salary reduction so he looked elsewhere
Old 09-20-22, 01:47 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
In the post-Froome era, Ineos has spent a TON of money on seeming great talent. And yeah, they've had some pretty good results with Bernal and Carapaz and Thomas, but considering their bankroll and their ambition, they have been falling short. I appreciate that they are trying to cultivate young talent, rather than only buying established stars, but clearly all this reshuffling reflects their frustrations about results.

Shorter - Yates was never going to be their ticket to glory. I totally understand why they gave him a lowball offer.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-20-22, 04:54 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Ethan Hayter
Old 09-20-22, 06:56 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
lateral move. he can super dom, be the featured rider on a weekly stage race such as the tour de suisse and hang close enough in the first half on the gt’s that if the
main guy (tadej, ayuso, almeida, et al) goes down, yatesie can step in and likely manage a top 4-10 finish. between he and brandon, not a bad 2nd or 3rd or 4th option to have.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-20-22 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-20-22, 08:46 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

in a totally unrelated note, praying ayuso rides the giro. pretty please with azucar on top.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-21-22, 12:56 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

So, is it really great or really tough to be a Simon or Adam Yates - an incredible cyclist with other-worldly talent compared to 7 billion others, but overshadowed by the half-dozen or so others who are just complete genetic freaks?
Old 09-21-22, 01:44 AM
diphthong

maybe it's just me but it seems like in the last 4-5 years, gc and classics guys have a shorter, truly elite, competitive shelf life.
it was already so with the sprinters since the (glory) days of cav, super mario, petacchi, zabel, etc. possibly evidence of a
cleaner peloton. riders like both yates, roglic, gthomas, bernal and (to a certain extent) carapaz, seem like yday's news.
how long do the current, white jersey eligible candidates stay relevant? are they toast by the ripe old age of dirty thirty?
is ayuso put out to pasture as an old man by the social security/pension age of 25? sagan and gilbert had a decent run.
that valverde guy bettered even they. gesink, majka and a few other warhorses are still around but likely not for much longer.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-21-22 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-21-22, 02:03 AM
diphthong

ineos has pidcock, sheffield, ganna, sivakov, tgh, dvb and hayter along with picking up arensman. that's a fantastic young core.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-21-22 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-21-22, 05:35 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by MinnMan
So, is it really great or really tough to be a Simon or Adam Yates - an incredible cyclist with other-worldly talent compared to 7 billion others, but overshadowed by the half-dozen or so others who are just complete genetic freaks?
Yes, it is. They can commiserate with Poulidor and Kaiser Jan and feel disappointed while looking back over their palmares few can rival.

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
maybe it's just me but it seems like in the last 4-5 years, gc and classics guys have a shorter, truly elite, competitive shelf life.
it was already so with the sprinters since the (glory) days of cav, super mario, petacchi, zabel, etc. possibly evidence of a
cleaner peloton. riders like both yates, roglic, gthomas, bernal and (to a certain extent) carapaz, seem like yday's news.
how long do the current, white jersey eligible candidates stay relevant? are they toast by the ripe old age of dirty thirty?
is ayuso put out to pasture as an old man by the social security/pension age of 25? sagan and gilbert had a decent run.
that valverde guy bettered even they. gesink, majka and a few other warhorses are still around but likely not for much longer.
Thomas is yesterday's news. I'm stunned Ineos carried him at the cost they did this year and wouldn't for Adam next year. Though G sure did have a good showing as plan C or D for La Vuelta to earn some of that paycheck. It must have been subsidized by some Cymru consortium.

Bernal would, I think, still be today's news if he hadn't taken that bus. Similar for Roglic if he could stay on his bike. I think Carapaz may be in the sweet spot for what you're talking about.

Sagan and Gilbert, plus Golden Greg who fell like a stone from contention and even moreso than them from commentator mention, are getting long in the tooth now though not quite Valverde-esque. I think Gesink and Majka are close to what the Yateses might be if they hang around.

Last edited by slcbob; 09-21-22 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-21-22, 07:39 AM
MinnMan

It's a tough game all around. I was sort of impressed that Carapaz pivoted so ably at the Vuelta from being a GC contender to hunting stages. Thomas, for being yesterday's news, hung tough this year to be a GC podium contender.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-24-22, 09:46 AM
diphthong

It's a tough game all around. I was sort of impressed that Carapaz pivoted so ably at the Vuelta from being a GC contender to hunting stages. Thomas, for being yesterday's news, hung tough this year to be a GC podium contender.
not a shabby "plan b" for carapaz at all. don't know how that actually played out on the team bus and in meetings with tgh, rodriguez and sivakov still high up on the
gc during most of the vuelta and with him going to ef next season. didn't watch as much of the vuelta as i wanted (just 5 min daily stage highlights with the occasional
30-min blast) so didn't get a chance to see it play out on the road with team body language/reactions/team cars speeding up to carapaz asking him what he was up to and
didn't see anything in the press. wondering if carapaz had a certain amount of "eff it" (no new squad pun intended) rogue attitude and went for it, knowing he'd have freedom to fly being
so far down and that the team/sponsors would still be happy with a win or three.

anyway, ef gets the realistic gc contender for the grand tours that they've lacked for a few years and ineos gets younger and can develop hayter along with taking their chances
with sivakov, tgh, tpiddy and arensman in the gt's.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-24-22 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-24-22, 02:15 PM
MinnMan

not a shabby "plan b" for carapaz at all. don't know how that actually played out on the team bus and in meetings with tgh, rodriguez and sivakov still high up on the
gc during most of the vuelta and with him going to ef next season. didn't watch as much of the vuelta as i wanted (just 5 min daily stage highlights with the occasional
30-min blast) so didn't get a chance to see it play out on the road with team body language/reactions/team cars speeding up to carapaz asking him what he was up to and
didn't see anything in the press. wondering if carapaz had a certain amount of "eff it" (no new squad pun intended) rogue attitude and went for it, knowing he'd have freedom to fly being
so far down and that the team/sponsors would still be happy with a win or three.

anyway, ef gets the realistic gc contender for the grand tours that they've lacked for a few years and ineos gets younger and can develop hayter along with taking their chances
Bernal is the wildcard.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-24-22, 03:36 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

That must have been harsh for you to have such a meager ration of your most beloved GT.

I don't recall there being any sense of Carapaz gone rogue. I think there was a big sigh as he fell off the pace early (one less GC contender for Ineos) and, after that, as there other folks fell off, too, they were just happy to have some results.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-24-22, 08:04 PM
diphthong

Bernal is the wildcard.
helluva joker to have in hand. would love to see him do the giro/vuelta double (body and form willing) vs the pressure cooker that is le tour for his return.
no pressure tho. for the giro, select hayter or tgh or sivakov, et al as the protected rider and let bernal just set some mountain tempo and see how the legs/form go.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-24-22 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-24-22, 08:07 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by slcbob
That must have been harsh for you to have such a meager ration of your most beloved GT.

I don't recall there being any sense of Carapaz gone rogue. I think there was a big sigh as he fell off the pace early (one less GC contender for Ineos) and, after that, as there other folks fell off, too, they were just happy to have some results.
s'life. work/life priorities usually align for most viewing time for the giro on this end. tdf is hit or miss. vuelta is generally not at a good time for me but give it the old college try.
Old 09-24-22, 08:14 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by slcbob

guess i was just trying to stir up drama/get other opinions as to whether there was umbrage or not since my coverage of the vuelta wasn't the best this go round.

thinking your lad yatesie might have slotted into fourth or fifth had his "viral load" been that of ayuso's (or less).

ineos took quite the squad to the vuelta. if carapaz hadn't refocused/recalibrated after the initial disappointment of un jour sans in the first week, woulda been slim pickings for them. agreed on your results analysis.
Old 09-28-22, 01:01 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Traded? Not really a thing in professional cycling. Ineos wanted him to take a big salary reduction so he looked elsewhere
Maybe it is a thing.

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/i...rance-success/
Old 09-28-22, 02:47 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Wow. Pick on my English, why don't you!!!!

You all know what I mean!!!
Old 09-28-22, 03:49 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

That's VERY interesting. At least the first few lines of it before the Outside Mag pay wall whacked me.

It's nice to see something in the headlines besides MVDP and knock knock gate.

Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
Wow. Pick on my English, why don't you!!!!

You all know what I mean!!!
Oy vey. Tough crowd.