Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

CR vs ML2032

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

CR vs ML2032

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-23, 04:54 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
CR vs ML2032

I've purchased rechargeable coin cells (ML2032). I hadn't realised at the time that they store only a third of what's in a CR2032 (65 vs 220mAh). So, on the one hand, rechargeable cells are good for the environment, perhaps good for the wallet as well (300 cycles as stated by the manufacturer'), and it more or less solves the "problem" of finding replacement cells at a reasonable price in a foreign town (shocking in some places). OTOH, it means 3 times the replacements, and carrying a charger (about the size of a thumb drive).

Based on experience and Garmin's data sheet -- on a Cr2032, speed/cadence/HRM sensors are supposed to be good for one year @ 1h/day. That would be 350 hours of autonomy. Switch to a ML and nominal autonomy falls to 100 hrs, or about 2 weeks on tour.

For a minute I thought I'd ditch rechargeable and go with standard cells, but finally decided that I'll stick to the plan. If someone else has converted to rechargeable, I'll read with interest.
Old 02-23-23, 05:32 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Some years after using wireless speed sensors, I gave up, since the batteries have about a 1 year life. All I really care about is distance ... a wired sensor has a battery lifetime of >5 years. However, I often break the bike apart for travel, so I installed bullet connectors on that wire and the dynohub wire...easy to break apart without removing the sensor base from the handlebars.