Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket Lug - common crack location?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-23, 12:42 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts

1989 Panasonic Mountain Cat
NDS chainstay at the bottom bracket.
Is this a location anyone has seen develop a crack?
I’ve had 2 TIG welded frames crack in this area. One a 25ish year old RockHopper. The other a couple of year old Gunnar CrossHair I had purchased new. Gunnar repaired at no cost to me.
This Panasonic I bought last year to use as my dirty road camper/tourer for 2023. While cleaning and frame savering I noticed this hair line on the lug that won’t scrape off. My thumb nail will catch on it.
When I flex the rear triangle it does not look too change. I suppose I could remove the paint….

So now what? Ride and keep an eye on it? Try to convince my wife I should buy an even older StumpJumper for sale an hour away for $500?
Contract Assenmacher to replace the lug? He’s not painting last time I checked, so I’ll have to rattle can it after….
Thanks.

In the wild this fall….

PS - this frame is spaced 130 mm for rear hub. As received it had a 130mm wheel installed. I upgraded to a different set and changed the hub to 130. White Industries has spacers to do that. They are great to work with.

Last edited by mrv; 02-25-23 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-25-23, 12:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Not a framebuilder but I'd guess replacing the bottom bracket is probably harder than building a frame from scratch. Now I have broken chainstays (behind the bridge; not at the BB. The bike rode OK with the broken chainstay. So if I were you, I;d just ride it and keep an eye on the crack. (If it does go, you will have that bridge keeping things together, at least for a while so I don't think you have anything to fear unless big time descents are in your future.)

Now,if this were at the front end of the bike, I'd take a much keener interest in that crack, mark the ends and watch carefully for growth.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-25-23, 01:20 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Not a framebuilder but I'd guess replacing the bottom bracket is probably harder than building a frame from scratch. Now I have broken chainstays (behind the bridge; not at the BB. The bike rode OK with the broken chainstay. So if I were you, I;d just ride it and keep an eye on the crack. (If it does go, you will have that bridge keeping things together, at least for a while so I don't think you have anything to fear unless big time descents are in your future.)

Now,if this were at the front end of the bike, I'd take a much keener interest in that crack, mark the ends and watch carefully for growth.
- big time descents are hard to come buy in the Lower Mitten!
I do have a couple of far-ish from home treks planned for the late summer - Katy Trail in Missouri, and some rail-trail stuff a few hours away in Michigan. Worst case I'm pulling out a credit card at a bike shop near the Katy trail. Or my wife comes and picks me up and we make a mini-vacation of it.
Keeping an eye on it is my first thought. When I had BB-cracks before, the shifting went wonky first. Neither time was I far from home though.
Old 02-25-23, 01:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Your crack is on the non-drive side so even if it fails, your gears ought to work pretty well.

Those big Lower Mitten climbs - I lived at the summit of Ann Arbor' s mountain for two years. In those days I was superman and could make that massive ascent on my 42-17 fix gear.
Old 02-25-23, 01:30 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

ouch: $250 for a BB replacement: https://www.assenmachers.com/about/2...rame-pg171.htm
- not a lot for a repair - just a lot when I can get a beautiful refurbed Peugeot Orient Express for $500 - and I think it's the exact same frame!

Old 02-25-23, 07:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
1- The scratch doesn't look like the typical cracks that happen to a lugged BB, much more like a simple scratch from a sharp pointed something. So I suggest riding the bike and just keep an eye on this to be sure.

2- Replacing a BB shell is a big effort and one that many builders won't seek out. Replacing BB shell on a French frame? - Bike Forums Is a thread on this that just happens to be current.

3- I sold Panasonics for a bunch of years back in the day. Perhaps one of the better production bikes WRT joining quality and consistency that I have handled. Andy

4- $250 is what I would consider a low price for a shell replacement. I suspect Matt A isn't doing this to make "real" money... Andy
Old 02-25-23, 07:52 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart;[url=tel:22812490
22812490[/url]]1- The scratch doesn't look like the typical cracks that happen to a lugged BB, much more like a simple scratch from a sharp pointed something. So I suggest riding the bike and just keep an eye on this to be sure.

2- Replacing a BB shell is a big effort and one that many builders won't seek out. Replacing BB shell on a French frame? - Bike Forums Is a thread on this that just happens to be current.

3- I sold Panasonics for a bunch of years back in the day. Perhaps one of the better production bikes WRT joining quality and consistency that I have handled. Andy

4- $250 is what I would consider a low price for a shell replacement. I suspect Matt A isn't doing this to make "real" money... Andy
thanks for your feedback - much appreciated. When I picked this up I was pretty geeked to get a lugged made in Japan frameset. I’d like to get a lot of miles on it.
Old 02-25-23, 08:05 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
I am 88.5% sure that is not a crack, just a scratch.

The Beatles weigh in:
"Rocky said, Doc it's only a scratch"
"Speaking words of wisdom — Let it be"

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 02-26-23, 05:18 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I am 88.5% sure that is not a crack, just a scratch.

The Beatles weigh in:
"Rocky said, Doc it's only a scratch"
"Speaking words of wisdom — Let it be"

Mark B
Me too, I checked also on my bikes. Not scratches ofpaint on the bottom bracket
Old 02-27-23, 05:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Cracks almost always happen at the transitions from one tube to another. Something probably got stuck in the wheel and pushed into the bb shell and scratched the paint.
Likes For unterhausen: