Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting as workout

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting as workout

Old 02-14-23, 08:33 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Agree. 9-12 miles worked well. 16 was on the verge of too far. Much less than 10 was not far enough, except in winter. For a long time, I was >20, so I drove halfway and rode the second half - or only rode a couple of days a week.
Old 02-18-23, 08:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Ugh, I'm just not able to do distances like that regularly, especially with the pressure of needing to arrive on time and with the fatigue at the end of the day going home. Then again, I might feel differently if I weren't in NYC where things are so stressful. My favorite commute distance is about 6 miles. Currently it's 13 for me (each way) and I've done it only two or three times since I started this job on November 28. It takes about 15 minutes longer than the subway, my normal mode. I hope to increase my frequency of bike commuting as the weather improves, and it has started already.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-27-23, 04:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
So, @e0richt, how's it been going? Have you even been able to ride? It's been pretty gruesome over here in the top left-hand corner of California, interspersed with an occasional cold but gorgeous day.
Old 02-27-23, 05:37 PM
Derailed

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx; Hunter CX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
There is no law requiring you to take the most direct route.
You're certainly right about this but, somehow, in practice, it's simultaneously true that I've wished every commute I've had were longer, yet always been obsessed with finding the most direct way to get there.
Likes For Derailed:
Old 02-27-23, 08:39 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
@Derailed, that's just human nature.
Old 02-28-23, 06:47 PM
Puttis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually just start to take my bike to work. But it depends how far the ride is. A good start could be to go shopping for groceries. Start small and work your way up. Maybe add some work out at home or the gym if you want faster improvement.
Old 03-08-23, 07:32 AM
s.canos

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Commuting as a workout is great, saves money and time!
Old 03-16-23, 05:33 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I bike commute to work every day on a 14-mile route each way regardless of season or weather conditions. There are some hills in/out of town on mostly flat trail surface. I have my commuter bike for Spring/Summer months and a dedicated Winter bike with studded tires and fenders to boot. It takes roughly an hour and sometimes two when I'm battling the elements while maneuvering through 5 inches of unpaved roads. For example, yesterday I fought through 20-25 mph headwinds the entire route home even though the temp was 55 degrees and today, rain, sleet and snowy weather (Welcome to Iowa lol.) I store my lunch/snack and change of clothes in my Ortlieb bag, crank up my tunes and ride on. Don't worry about speed as long as I arrive in one piece.
Old 03-18-23, 03:07 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
When I was commuting, my route was 25-30 km depending on the exact route that I took. I did this 5 days a week for over 20 years except during our snowy winters in Montreal. I would also do a couple of longer weekend rides and often a mid week evening ride, so I was usually riding 7 days a week. One summer from early May until the end of July I was averaging 540 km per week and rode every single day during that period. I didn't have to train for racing, I just rode myself into great shape
Likes For alcjphil: