Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Caf / DeCaf electrolyte tabs/drinks?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 05:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

what's your preference?
Old 01-06-19, 06:12 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I was using caffeine Nuun, Gu and blocks but with my normal coffee consumption I felt like it was impacting my sleep.

Now I only use caffiene in Gu and am careful about when I’m consume it, typically only hard workouts, races or towards the end of long rides.

Old 01-06-19, 06:15 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Water and a bottle of gatorade or two depending on the ride.
Old 01-06-19, 08:16 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I use EmergenC in one bottle on almost every ride, and uncaffeinated Gu, if need be. For some reason, I can't find the caffeinated version, or I would use it.

Old 01-06-19, 08:53 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I like the NUUN hydration tabs. Been using them for. Some time. Coffee is a must in the morning first thing. But as I get older no caffeen after 5pm or I won’t get to bed before 10.

Anyways one bottle with NUUN and second of plain water. Clean water is very useful if you need to squirt out a road rash of if somebody needs an emergency refill plain water is better than a mix. Also sometime when a really hot ride is over cool water over your head is awesome. Wouldn’t do that with a mixed drink.
Old 01-06-19, 09:38 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm usually decaf - with very rare exceptions. I usually have two cups of coffee in the morning, cold-brewed in the summer. If it's a really early and especially long ride, I might have a touch of caffeine - via Mexican Coke or one of those caffeinated GU things. In these cases, my sleep deprivation and energy expenditure from riding negates any negative impact from the caffeine.

I'm a night owl anyways, but if I have coffee after around 2PM, I'm up until at least 5AM. No joke.
Old 01-06-19, 09:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My favorite electrolyte powders are in single serving Mylar tubes -- easy to store in seat bags, jerseys, etc. Drip Drop ORS is the best, priced about the same as NUUN. And Propel is almost as good and cheap, only $3 or less per carton of 10 packets.

Occasionally I'll add a packet of Picot antacid, containing citric acid and sodium bicarb. Theoretically helps. Dunno. Doesn't hurt. Costs a buck for a carton of six packets at Dollartree.

I add very little salt to food, never really developed my family's taste for excessive salt. So I'm not worried about the added sodium in electrolytes and the antacid packets.

I love my coffee and I've switched from a potful a day from a French press to two cups a day from an espresso maker. Probably the same caffeine. My usual pre-workout beverage, along with oatmeal, yogurt and banana.

My favorite road fuel is Clif mocha gels with caffeine. Tasty and cheap, about a buck each. No digestive problems. It's the only gel Kroger carries locally so it's easy to find if I run out. Which I just did this evening. On a hard 30 mile workout ride like today's I'll eat a couple of Clif gels.

I don't eat much in carbs and sweets unless I'm working out, so I've noticed my threshold for bonking is a bit less forgiving now that I've lost weight. If I feel just a bit peckish I'd better respond pronto before the bonk hits. Before losing 10 lbs of mostly belly fat I could go longer without eating and not bonk. But with less body fat I can't do that now.

I've always liked various power, energy and protein bars, but just recently some containing sugar alcohols (usually maltitol) have given me ferocious gas. It's almost funny, as long as you're not following me. Occasionally I need to stand to pedal and wonder whether I'm getting a turbo boost. But it's a little uncomfortable at times. Some folks report painful bloating and diarrhea from sugar alcohols.

Seems to be worst with Think Thin 10g protein and fiber bars (I bought a few dozen holiday spice versions on sale after the holidays), and Detour 30g high protein bars. Less bad with Think Thin 20g high protein bars. Not sure why there's a difference since all three use maltitol.
Old 01-07-19, 03:46 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
I use NUUN in several flavors, but no caffeine, seems to upset my stomach on the bike.
I have the same problem with caffeinated gels too.
Old 01-07-19, 09:46 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hammer Fizz Cola
Old 01-07-19, 10:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Nuun workout caffeine. I'll drink coffee when I want that.
Old 01-07-19, 10:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts