Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So what’s up with Cinelli?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So what’s up with Cinelli?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 06:25 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
"True" vintage Cinellis, i.e. before Columbus got them are really, really hard to get, and can get as expensive as used bikes can get. I remember stories that they were impossible to order from during lead-ups to the Olympics, because all the track athletes would jam them with orders for their track frames, which were reputed to be the best in those days.

Current Cinellis are owned by Columbus, i.e. the bike tubing guys. They seem like perfectly fine bikes, and they certainly aren't one of those brands that some giant conglomerate bought to slap on generic frames (vis: bikesdirect brands), but they just aren't quite as exciting as they were when they were actually owned by the Cinelli family.

I've personally seen a few new Cinelli Vigorelli road bikes and a couple track/SS bikes here (Seattle)

that said, they do make some attractive bikes at good price points. that on-sale $399 touring bike frame on their US site is looking a bit tempting...
Don't forget, Cannondale, Masi, Haro, Nishiki (this company always was a decal company), Diamondback, Raleigh, Schwinn, Mongoose, GT, Fuji, Rene Herse, Holdsworth...the list goes on and on. In regards to Cinelli, they are no longer owned by Columbus, the brand name was sold to Gruppo S.r.l. in 1997, so technically Cinelli is also a decal company, but like Cannondale and a very few others they have stayed close to the original roots, in fact you can buy a brand new Supercorsa. Supposedly the Gruppo company kept the Supercorsa true to its heritage due to its dream like ride, so it still uses Columbus SL tubing which I think they first started using in 1963. At some point some of the Supercorsas used Reynolds 531 in the early 60's as well, not sure what differentiated the two, why did one use Columbus SL and the other Reynolds 531, maybe someone with more knowledge than me can answer what that was all about. if you want to buy one, which you can only get as a frame and fork, but Adrenalin Bikes can put whatever components you want on it; see: https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/stor...ategoryID=5807 I've bought my Lynskey bike from Adrenaline Bikes and they are extremely knowledgable and great to deal with.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 06-26-20, 08:07 AM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Don't forget, Cannondale, Masi, Haro, Nishiki (this company always was a decal company), Diamondback, Raleigh, Schwinn, Mongoose, GT, Fuji, Rene Herse, Holdsworth...the list goes on and on. In regards to Cinelli, they are no longer owned by Columbus, the brand name was sold to Gruppo S.r.l. in 1997, so technically Cinelli is also a decal company, but like Cannondale and a very few others they have stayed close to the original roots, in fact you can buy a brand new Supercorsa. Supposedly the Gruppo company kept the Supercorsa true to its heritage due to its dream like ride, so it still uses Columbus SL tubing which I think they first started using in 1963. At some point some of the Supercorsas used Reynolds 531 in the early 60's as well, not sure what differentiated the two, why did one use Columbus SL and the other Reynolds 531, maybe someone with more knowledge than me can answer what that was all about. if you want to buy one, which you can only get as a frame and fork, but Adrenalin Bikes can put whatever components you want on it; see: https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/stor...ategoryID=5807 I've bought my Lynskey bike from Adrenaline Bikes and they are extremely knowledgable and great to deal with.
Gruppo is the parent company of both Columbus and Cinelli. They are, in effect, one and the same. Cinelli steel bikes are almost certainly made by someone else and are certainly not up to their former standards. I know because I just had a bad experience with a custom Cinelli Supercorsa frame. After three tries to get it right, they are refunding me my purchase price. I ended up buying a new-old-stock 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa made with Columbus SLX through my local bike shop, Mellow Johnny's (owned by Lance Armstrong). I just picked it up yesterday and will go on my first ride later today. I believe some of these are still available from Adrenaline Bikes, but they are very limited in colors and sizes. You have to call to get availability. Note that for these Cinelli's sizes are measured from center to top of the top tube, not center to center. Their price is $1999 plus shipping. I had mine built with the stuff from the first bad (rust) SC frame, Campy Super Record.

Old 07-20-20, 03:32 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts

Whole bike. Unfortunately, after waxing the chain I removed the bike from the stand - clamped gently by seat post in Park 10.2 stand, leaned it up against the bike rack. But the wheels ended up sitting on the legs of the rack and the bike slipped back into the main pole of the rack. Did not think much of it but noticed some blue paint from the rack and some dirt and thought the hit had nicked the decal.

Washed the spot with some alcohol and quickly realized the spot was not just dirt. Performed the coin test and it was fine until an area of ~1-2 mm over that spot. The damn bike had cracked. A bike that I have had in ridable form for less than a week. Argh. 2 rides.

So now, I have a cracked bike frame. My fault 100%. Bad luck. Attempted to contact the Cinelli USA people through the suggested e-mail (info@cinelli-usa.com) but turns out that is a dead link. That is one thing that is up (or down) with Cinelli-USA.

Ended up contacting the distributor for Cinelli USA and was basically called a liar. He said that the damage must have come from some pressure being applied to that spot (not sure what he thinks would make such a small spot). A distributor calling new customers liars is what's up with Cinelli-USA.

Honestly, initially, if they had said that crap happens and recommended a good place to get the spot repaired and sent me some decals to cover the area, I would have been fine. Not looking for anything here. This was 100% my fault. But calling me a liar and telling me that they have frames being ridden by racing teams and having them crash and their bikes are fine and saying that he himself clamps the top tube and nothing happens, now makes me worry that the frame is somehow defective. Confusing customers and making them doubt Cinelli products is what is up with Cinelli-USA.
Old 07-22-20, 04:02 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by kansukee

My SC with 11 spd Campy.
Beautiful high flange hubs. Looks like they could be Curtis Odom.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 07-22-20, 04:12 PM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Beautiful high flange hubs. Looks like they could be Curtis Odom.
That’s exactly what they are 🙂
Likes For kansukee:
Old 07-22-20, 04:14 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by kansukee
That’s exactly what they are 🙂
You do know Curtis Odom is a forum member. I have a few of those hub sets laying around.
Old 07-27-20, 01:38 PM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
I had no idea. Do you have any plans for those hubs or are you open to parting with any of them?
Old 03-17-23, 03:36 PM
curiousabe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 28 Posts
[QUOTE=Johnk3;21404384]
Originally Posted by aclinjury
That price is actually a tad lower than when I was asking a US distributor of Barco (which I believe I got quoted for $3900). XCR tubeset back about 3 years ago was $600, so now it's $888 eh.

The base price for Barco's TIG welded XCr frame with a stainless steel curved traditional fork, and one paint color is 2620 euros. You get a choice of brushed stainless or polished finish, and internal or external rear brake cable routing for the same price. Direct mount brakes adds 120 euros, the Viva fork with carbon steering tube adds 250 Euros, the name plate and Italian shield, extra paint colors and shipping (170) each add something adding up to 3330 euros. I don't think I could have spent any more on the frame if I tried. It's a total bargain. I just got the completed bike back from my LBS this afternoon. I will post some photos of the finished product soon.

I have direct mount brakes on the front and back. The Viva fork with the carbon steering tube is their own invention. You can also get it with a steel tube for 100 less.

Cicli Barco also offers a lugged XCr frame with stainless lugs for about 140 Euros more. They have 6 different stainless lug styles for the fork.
Damn, Im looking at cicli barco custom frame right now and the XCr frames have a starting price of 4000 eur ;(
Old 03-17-23, 04:22 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
In the past Cinelli made frames of Neuron,Foco and Genius tubing, those can be found on ebay but those are nearly 2000$
Old 03-17-23, 04:23 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by curiousabe
Damn, Im looking at cicli barco custom frame right now and the XCr frames have a starting price of 4000 eur ;(
XCR is like the Reynolds 953,it is martensic stainless steel so expect it to be in this price range.
Old 10-23-23, 11:57 AM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
XCR is like the Reynolds 953,it is martensic stainless steel so expect it to be in this price range.
Except, unlike 953, there is no seam. So there's that.....
Old 10-23-23, 12:46 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Ungaro
And has very different properties, so there is that...

Last edited by vespasianus; 10-23-23 at 06:48 PM.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 10-23-23, 01:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
And seamless does what exactly vs rolled and seamed?

...and lets not reference some claim from 30 or 40 years ago about Columbus Cromor or whatever.
Old 10-23-23, 01:51 PM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
And seamless does what exactly vs rolled and seamed?

...and lets not reference some claim from 30 or 40 years ago about Columbus Cromor or whatever.
Well, I'm no metallurgist, but Xcr is cold-drawn from a billet, instead of rolled and joined along a seam. Have I done a side-by-side ride comparison? No. Wil the properties of the two be different? Probably so. Buy and ride what you like.
Old 10-23-23, 02:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Well, I'm no metallurgist, but Xcr is cold-drawn from a billet, instead of rolled and joined along a seam. Have I done a side-by-side ride comparison? No. Wil the properties of the two be different? Probably so. Buy and ride what you like.
Ok, so no actual info on how seamless would be better than seamed.

Here is a chart with numbers, what is a 'worse' number that exists due to the seam?
...or is the seam basically invisible once the tubing has been butted and there is no downside?

Old 10-23-23, 02:13 PM
Ungaro

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ok, so no actual info on how seamless would be better than seamed.

Here is a chart with numbers, what is a 'worse' number that exists due to the seam?
...or is the seam basically invisible once the tubing has been butted and there is no downside?
A "worse" number appears to be the hardness. Even a metal bike can be too harsh. Like I said, buy and ride what you like. Seems that 953 is your thing, and that's just fine.
Old 10-23-23, 03:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

A "worse" number appears to be the hardness. Even a metal bike can be too harsh. Like I said, buy and ride what you like. Seems that 953 is your thing, and that's just fine.
You are confusing 'hard' with 'stiff'. They are very different in this context.

I don't have a 953 frame, and no it isn't my thing.
Old 10-23-23, 06:03 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,766 Posts
SLX is my thing. Thankfully my Super Corsa is made of it.
Old 10-26-23, 08:39 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
Late to the thread here. Original Cinellis (pre the Columbo buy out) are very much the "Ferrari" of the bike world - handmade, Italian, Iconic.

Cinellis in my experience ride a bit more harshly than a comparable Masi or Nago. The selection of tubes and the seat cluster may have something to do with that.

I have no opinion on the current issue Cinellis, at least the marque is still out there !

s/n 1183 below. The 2nd pic is a very rare "Ridotto" with smaller wheel size. BTW Cinelli serial numbers are ... meaningless.

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 10-26-23 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-27-23, 06:22 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by mpetry912
Original Cinellis (pre the Columbo buy out) are very much the "Ferrari" of the bike world - handmade, Italian, Iconic.
Ahem...So are "non"-original(?) Cinellis. I assure you, my 1989 SC is also handmade, Italian, and iconic. And in some ways, better than the "original."

Last edited by smd4; 10-27-23 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-27-23, 08:04 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Cino says your was "before the fall"

I will buy lunch for the first person who can identify who that is in the 2nd pic

/markp

Old 10-27-23, 08:24 AM
smd4

Cino says your was "before the fall"
Is that the same Cino who put his name on a Centurion?
Old 10-27-23, 10:10 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Originally Posted by hazetguy
Luigi Valsasina (maybe spelled Valsassina)
i like sushi.
Winner Winner Sushi Dinner !

Meet me at Kashiba in Seattle and it'll be my treat

/markp

Old 10-27-23, 10:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I was going to guess Luigi or Mario
Old 10-27-23, 11:26 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 369 Posts
Winner Winner Sushi Dinner !

Meet me at Kashiba in Seattle and it'll be my treat

/markp

Helen Keller makes sushi?...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.