Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Curious: what is a gravel bike?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Curious: what is a gravel bike?

Old 06-02-22, 09:29 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts

It's a durable bike that ya ride on Gravel...

Now the big question is,

What size Gravel?

Most Gravel Bikes are continually looking like older Mountain Bikes... Ha
Old 06-02-22, 09:39 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
[QUOTE=pdlamb;22525906]"What's the roughest road you'd consider riding on a gravel bike before you go to a mountain bike or fat bike? Bushwhacking, single track, double track, old road that's not maintained, gravel road that sees a road grader every election year, rail-trail, or something else?"

I ride my gravel bikes everywhere I used to mountain bike. Granted I never did downhill or anything like that, but any singletrack is certainly fair game. Where I live it's very steep, gnarly and rocky. I just pick good lines (most of the time
Old 06-02-22, 10:27 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
... 25mm tires at 120psi.
Biggest. Misconception. Ever.

Are there really that many riders out there bouncing around so much that they don't think, "hey, maybe I should let some air out of these rocks under me?" :baffled:

I run my 25mm tires at 95psi. I'm 190 lbs. Just because it says '120psi max' doesn't mean you do it!

anyhoo.

Last edited by superdex; 06-02-22 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-02-22, 10:32 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
There are steel bikes, aluminum bikes, titanium bikes, magnesium bikes, carbon fiber bikes and wood or bamboo bikes. Gravel bikes? Think Fred Flintstone. (And with that, I'll go away.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-02-22, 10:33 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I just weighed my touring bike after I set it up tubeless today. It is about 30 lbs, which is 6 or 7 pounds heavier than my steel "gravel" all-road bike, which probably accounts for my preference. (It also makes me wonder whether I should try a weight weenie gravel bike.)
Old 06-03-22, 01:46 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
If you do mnt bike trails with switch backs check for toe overlap. My new much more expensive gravel bike Ibis MX ( size 55 ) sucks at 180 turns :/ It's like almost a freaking road bike. My feet keep hitting the front tires on switch backs. My small 2021 Giant Revolt adv 2 ( about 2000 cheaper ) does not have this problem.

I think I might keep my Giant now. I had planned to sell it to offset the cost of the new bike but now I am thinking the Ibis MX is great all round bike that can do some gravel not so much mnt bike trails.
Old 06-04-22, 11:59 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
If you do mnt bike trails with switch backs check for toe overlap. My new much more expensive gravel bike Ibis MX ( size 55 ) sucks at 180 turns :/ It's like almost a freaking road bike. My feet keep hitting the front tires on switch backs. My small 2021 Giant Revolt adv 2 ( about 2000 cheaper ) does not have this problem.

I think I might keep my Giant now. I had planned to sell it to offset the cost of the new bike but now I am thinking the Ibis MX is great all round bike that can do some gravel not so much mnt bike trails.
I ride mountain bike trails with switchbacks all the time on my gravel bike which has toe overlap. Not an issue with good technique.
Old 06-04-22, 12:00 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I think the limit on my gravel bike is no switchbacks. And no rock gardens either. But there is one, mostly singletrack, trail near me that takes me about an hour to do on my gravel bike and about 20 minutes on my mountain bike. It's too bad, because it would cut the distance out to the state forest down by a lot, and I wouldn't have to ride on the big road out of town. Granted, the big road out of town has 10' wide shoulders, but it's closed for crashes a couple of times a month. It happens so often the fire department has pre-printed signs that say "Route 322 closed"

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-04-22 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-04-22, 09:32 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by KJ43
I ride mountain bike trails with switchbacks all the time on my gravel bike which has toe overlap. Not an issue with good technique.
While sure you can and so did I do it, it was much more fun on my Giant Revolt adv 2 with no toe overlap. I think for road bike it's not that big of deal, on gravel/mnt that does a lot of switch backs I think it's a design flaw.

On level or down hill you have momentum to carry your speed if you foot touches. While going up a steep technical section at 2 mph then a 180 switch back is not the time you want to hit the front tire.
Old 06-04-22, 09:38 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think the limit on my gravel bike is no switchbacks. And no rock gardens either.
Funny you should say that. Just the other day I tried a rock garden with my new gravel bike at slow pace picking my lines and sure enough I still tagged my side wall and blew my tire off :/ Glad I had co2 with to remount the damn tire.

I tried previously with my Giant and 32mm gravel king slicks and cut my sidewall. I just figured those practically road tires. I thought my new Ibis MX gravel bike with Maxxis Rambler 700c x 40mm would handle it much better. The tires look almost like mnt bike tires to me compared to the slicks. guess not ha-ha

My mnt bike ( 2022 blur with factory tires ) I just blow through the rock garden not paying much attention to the lines at all.
Old 06-05-22, 06:57 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

While sure you can and so did I do it, it was much more fun on my Giant Revolt adv 2 with no toe overlap. I think for road bike it's not that big of deal, on gravel/mnt that does a lot of switch backs I think it's a design flaw.

On level or down hill you have momentum to carry your speed if you foot touches. While going up a steep technical section at 2 mph then a 180 switch back is not the time you want to hit the front tire.
Lots of mountain bikes have had toe overlap as well over the years. We can agree to disagree on this one. It's not a design flaw...it's a technique issue.

If you keep having issues I'd work on developing your pedaling technique.
Old 06-05-22, 07:20 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
Lots of mountain bikes have had toe overlap as well over the years. We can agree to disagree on this one. It's not a design flaw...it's a technique issue.

If you keep having issues I'd work on developing your pedaling technique.
I believe toe overlap has actually been pretty uncommon in MTBs.

The only time it came up was in the early days of 29ers when head tube angles were still really steep, and top tubes were still kinda short. (and even then it was not common and only an issue in the small sizes) That got addressed pretty quickly because unlike road bikes, it really is a big issue for mountain bikes.

I don’t think it is an issue for riding dirt/gravel roads, though.

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-05-22 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 09:05 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I believe toe overlap has actually been pretty uncommon in MTBs.
I'm not trying to overstate it and lots is probably hyperbole, but I was mountain biking for over 30 years and its has popped up on a few of the bikes I've owned over the years. Tires and cleat position are part of the equation as well.
Old 06-06-22, 06:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts

Nothing in the Hakka geometry table would make me think it would excel at 180 turns. A lot in the Hakka geometry table would make me think it would be very similar to a road bike.
Your Giant has a longer wheelbase, slacker head tube, and more trail. It makes sense it would have less toe overlap.

Based on comments in this thread, you are trying to force a square peg into a round hole and knocking the square peg for not fitting.
The Ibis seems capable of doing more than 'some gravel'.
Old 06-06-22, 07:06 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think the limit on my gravel bike is no switchbacks. And no rock gardens either. But there is one, mostly singletrack, trail near me that takes me about an hour to do on my gravel bike and about 20 minutes on my mountain bike. It's too bad, because it would cut the distance out to the state forest down by a lot, and I wouldn't have to ride on the big road out of town. Granted, the big road out of town has 10' wide shoulders, but it's closed for crashes a couple of times a month. It happens so often the fire department has pre-printed signs that say "Route 322 closed"
Wow. Well, it's cheaper than the $75,000 light signs. Still leaves me thinking, "How much money could the schools get every year by hiring an extra cop to write speeding tickets?"

Back on topic, what is it about the singletrack that slows you down that much if it isn't rock gardens?
Old 06-13-22, 09:13 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
I bet if Strava ran a data analysis on all the miles in their database done on so-called gravel bikes they would see that 95% of those miles were on pavement. Personally for me it is a lot of work to get to good gravel riding, it takes 1+ hours in the car each way. So I'm yet another 95%-er.

Anyway, in practice most people are using gravel bikes as road bikes with occasional gravel riding thrown in. Kind of like how SUVs today are doing 99%+ road miles. There is nothing wrong with that, but to me it doesn't make a lot of sense to own two different bikes when two wheel sets will do the job.
This isn't a new phenomenon though. I grew up in the 1980's and went to college in the 1990's. Every kid I knew from middle school and beyond owned a mountain bike. College freshmen at my large state university all needed bikes for transportation - and every single person I knew had a mountain bike. Most/all of these bikes had front suspension forks, super aggressive knobby tires and triple cranks. I'd wager that less than 5% of them were ever used on an actual trail.

Looking the part was definitely part of it, but also MTB's were more durable and more comfortable than any of the road bikes available in those days. I think gravel bikes are playing this role now. Unless someone is looking to get into racing or has a specific interest in road-specific riding, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a gravel bike as a "road bike" for them. They're just way more versatile, and they also work pretty great on pavement.
Old 06-13-22, 10:34 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
My gravel bike is my go anywhere bike. It's slower than my road bike and less capable on the trails than a MTB. Yet I can ride my gravel bike from my front door and ride straight up the mountains and back. At least here in LA that's how we ride them. In fact amongst my riding buddies, we constantly switch back-n-forth, road/off-road. If anything, I consider gravel bikes more of our durable crash bikes, because at one point you will fall or wipe out. If you don't ride your gravel bike like that, you might as well stick with a road bike and be a trailer queen.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-17-22, 03:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Gravel bikes is all about drop bars and wider tires...You can take any rigid forked MTB or a rigid forked Hybrid, put drop bars on it, convert it to 1x drivetrain, slap some 45mm gravel tires on it and...Voila you got yourself a gravel bike.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-20-22, 10:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Gravel bikes is all about drop bars and wider tires...You can take any rigid forked MTB or a rigid forked Hybrid, put drop bars on it, convert it to 1x drivetrain, slap some 45mm gravel tires on it and...Voila you got yourself a gravel bike.
...but then I have a slack front end high bottom bracket 1x bike. My gravel bike is a relatively steep front end, has a low bottom bracket, and is 2x.

Its almost as if you are just babbling. Someone may like the gravel build you described, but many wont. There is no singular style.
Old 09-20-22, 12:37 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If a converted MTB is what you want, then go for it.

But it will ride differently than most bikes sold as Gravel Bikes.

If you are talking about new mtbs, then you are looking at very different geometries and gearing.
Old 10-11-22, 05:55 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
If a converted MTB is what you want, then go for it.

But it will ride differently than most bikes sold as Gravel Bikes.

If you are talking about new mtbs, then you are looking at very different geometries and gearing.
Yeah I agree. I have had a rigid mountain bike that has had drop bars on and off since the late 90s or so. I almost exclusively considered it a mountain bike. It saw very little gravel road use and even less pavement. It did see plenty of single track, much of it fairly technical. I definitely didn't consider it a gravel bike. Then at some point I finally did do a mixed surface tour on it that included quite a bit of pavement and gravel roads. I still don't consider it a gravel bike, but I guess some might.
Old 11-29-23, 05:48 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 258 Posts
I think of gravel bike as a bike I can comfortably ride and control it well while riding on gravel, and from that point of view, a lot of different “types” of bikes qualify.
I use carbon frame road bikes with 23 or 24mm tires on gravel, titanium road bikes with up to 28 mm tires (but usually 25 mm), steel frame and mountain bikes with 26” tires about 2” wide. All that I need to do is know the condition of the trails and weather. If we have a possibility of rain on the day of ride, 23, 25, 28mm tires are bad choices for gravel. I’d take one of my “mountain” bikes for a ride with wider tires. Some trails have ruts that are dry and could present a little problem with control when riding thinner tires (1” or less). As long as I account for the conditions, just about anything works well. The only bike which I avoid on gravel is a mountain bike with full suspension… seems needlessly slow.
I tend to routinely tinker with my bikes to change components as and when I think the change might help me ride better. Someone mentioned earlier that a gravel bike must have a drop bar (paraphrased), I have not found it to be necessary for me. I have used a bike that I put together with various bits and pieces, using an inexpensive but good Al frame - it now fitted with a mountain bike like handle bar with a small rise and angled slightly towards the rider, has a single chain ring (39T, I think), a good ranged cassette in the rear, 12-34T), the brake/shifter allows me to change one or as many gears as I need without multiple actuations (XTR, brake lever acts as a shifter) and the whole bike simply works as I intended. I imagine that this bike would not fit the now popular definitions of any specific class but it serves many purposes for which I build, admirably well. [Some time ago I posted a photo of it in thread about a cheap frame.]
Old 11-30-23, 08:26 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
@alan_K, that's a pretty big jump between 28 mm and 2 in tire widths. My impression was that a gravel bike would be somewhere in the middle. So, two questions. First, can you describe the routes you'd ride with each? What's the surface like -- e.g., sand, dirt, pea gravel, etc.; flat or %grade, or any other relevant information? Second, is the bike you ride a binary choice, i.e., if it's too much for the 28s, it's time to pull out the 2" MTB?
Old 11-30-23, 08:03 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
@alan_K, that's a pretty big jump between 28 mm and 2 in tire widths. My impression was that a gravel bike would be somewhere in the middle. So, two questions. First, can you describe the routes you'd ride with each? What's the surface like -- e.g., sand, dirt, pea gravel, etc.; flat or %grade, or any other relevant information? Second, is the bike you ride a binary choice, i.e., if it's too much for the 28s, it's time to pull out the 2" MTB?
My routine bike paths are a mix of packed dirt and some small gravel (rocks mix) on the edges and holes here and there. There are some grades but nothing major, may be around 5-6%. We have rolling hills but overall elevation difference between two point of my ride is only about 800 ft. When the dirt is dry, I do quite well with 25 and 28 mm tires, even 23 mm tires don’t seem unmanageable but I have to watch the dry ruts. When the ground gets soft, thicker tires on mountain bikes work better for me than road bikes with thin tires. I do have multiple bikes and wheel sets - tires on for mountain bike wheels range between 1.5” to a max of around 2”.
In winter, I use widest tires I have that are studded with tungsten carbide studs.
Old 12-08-23, 08:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I both understand why this thread is stickied while also questioning why this thread exists and is stickied.
It's largely of no benefit at this point, but as soon as it comes down, someone will question what gravel exists as a category, and/or claim its all marketing hype, and/or claim any bike is a gravel bike.

This site consistently attracts the lowest common denominatior.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.