Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-23, 05:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If you think there is a market, why not be an entrepreneur and start a business selling only rim brake wheels.
As I understand it, that's pretty much the opposite of what his *sigh* was about.
Old 03-23-23, 09:20 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Most of the things that I think may be a waste of money, I have not actually purchased because I can't afford them.

I do have some Arsuxeo shirts. The pockets are a bit small or loose but the fit was okay perhaps because I am not as fit as WiFi.
Orange Arsuxeo Cycling Wear by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
Wosawe (another Chinese brand) are better and about the same price at 30USD for a jersey shorts summer set.
Wosawe Cycling Wear by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr

I have wondered about expensive brake pads. Some of the yellow ones named after a mountainous country came with a bike lately and they were goo, but about 40 USD a pair. Now that I have swapped them for my usual KingStop reds from aliexpress, which are 5 usd for two pairs,

Kingstop Brake Pads 2 pairs for 5USD

I am not able to tell the difference. Cheap Shimano ones were nasty though. And perhaps the yellow ones are kinder to rims or create less heat when going down Alps in summer. I won't be buying 40usd brake pads.

Last edited by timtak; 03-25-23 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Picture of brake pads
Old 03-24-23, 12:33 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yep, we are free to simply ignore new stuff if we don't like it. The older standards are supported pretty much forever in one way or another. It's still feasible to service a bike from 20+ years ago and it's usually cheaper.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
An exception. I stand by my observation that most online shops no longer carry high quality rim brake 700c wheels.
Lightbicycle, Yoelo, Winspace, Ican. They all have rim brake wheels and they are all high quality wheels.
Chain Reaction still lists Campagnolo Bora rim brake wheels.
Lots of high quality wheels out there.
Old 03-24-23, 07:16 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Not really. There are a whole bunch of wheels for which you can’t really buy any quality pre-built wheels like 27”, Schwinn sizes, 26” mountain bike, etc. Either curse the darkness or light a candle.
You also may have a higher standard when it comes to "quality" than I do, but both Velomine and Modern Bicycle, and I'm sure others, sell both 27" and 26" pre-built wheels. You have a couple choices of rims, and the Origin8 hubs that are on my Velomine wheels are surprisingly nice. The only downside seems to be that they almost all use straight-gauge spokes, but for the price I can live with that.

Last year I got an old Fuji with 27" wheels. I ended up buying 700Cs for it, but only so I'd have another wheelset that fit two of my other bikes. I was happy to see that if I wanted to buy brand new 27" wheels for it, I had several good choices.
Old 03-24-23, 08:42 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
You also may have a higher standard when it comes to "quality" than I do, but both Velomine and Modern Bicycle, and I'm sure others, sell both 27" and 26" pre-built wheels. You have a couple choices of rims, and the Origin8 hubs that are on my Velomine wheels are surprisingly nice. The only downside seems to be that they almost all use straight-gauge spokes, but for the price I can live with that.

Last year I got an old Fuji with 27" wheels. I ended up buying 700Cs for it, but only so I'd have another wheelset that fit two of my other bikes. I was happy to see that if I wanted to buy brand new 27" wheels for it, I had several good choices.
I'm not impressed with Velomine. Their wheels need to be re-trued after the first 100-200 miles. That indicates they didn't stress relieve their wheels and most likely they didn't equalize tensions either - both signs of a sloppy wheel build. Since I build wheels, it wasn't a big deal to finish the job they didn't do. If you're not familiar with wheel building, you will need your bike shop to finish the job.
Old 03-24-23, 09:05 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Lombard
I'm not impressed with Velomine. Their wheels need to be re-trued after the first 100-200 miles. That indicates they didn't stress relieve their wheels and most likely they didn't equalize tensions either - both signs of a sloppy wheel build. Since I build wheels, it wasn't a big deal to finish the job they didn't do. If you're not familiar with wheel building, you will need your bike shop to finish the job.
Yes, that's a known part of buying any machine-built wheels. You could say the same thing about most wheels shipped with bikes these days. I haven't bought a new bike in a long time but I'm told that shops don't routinely check true and tension on new bikes like they used to.

Your results may vary but my Velomine wheels were pretty good right out of the box. Naturally I did have my "wheel guy" go through them before I put them on the road. $40. He commented on what nice wheels they were for the price. Even paying my wheel builder the $40, they're still a great deal and the quality is more than acceptable.
Old 03-24-23, 09:47 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Yes, that's a known part of buying any machine-built wheels. You could say the same thing about most wheels shipped with bikes these days.
FWIW, I had a set of entry level Shimano RS-11's come on my new 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon. I rode those 4000 miles without ever needed to put a spoke wrench to them. Their demise was a matter of premature hub bearing failure which scoured the cups. Shimano replaced them free even though they were past the 1-year warranty.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-24-23, 10:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Yes, that's a known part of buying any machine-built wheels. You could say the same thing about most wheels shipped with bikes these days. I haven't bought a new bike in a long time but I'm told that shops don't routinely check true and tension on new bikes like they used to.
Honestly the shops didn’t routinely check wheels back “they used to”. I’ve often had to true, tension, and dish wheels that are OEM on 30 to 40 year old bikes at my local co-op. Going out of true is just part of riding but dish isn’t something that can really change due to riding.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-24-23, 11:46 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
According to the Shimano website, Claris is their entry level group. If we go to the Trek website and find their cheapest dropbar roadie with Claris,(unless I am mistaken) it's this Claris equipped Domane that Trek says is an awesome pick for your first road bike. I know that a savvy shopper that's not new to bikes might find some better deals. But for newbie Joe Shmo walking in the LBS door, this appears to be the typical baseline entry point to become a new roadie. $1200.00 bucks + the accessories.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...ris-r2000.html

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ode=blue_black
Seems reasonable to me if you are looking at premium brand bikes. Below that there are plenty of cheaper options out there, some worthy of consideration, some junk. Should Trek be offering cheaper bikes? Should Shimano offer a lower group tier?

I duuno? People often moan about the high cost of modern living, but my standard of living is way higher than my parents and there's was way higher than my grandparents. I realise that may vary in different parts of the world.
Old 03-24-23, 11:49 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Seems reasonable to me if you are looking at premium brand bikes. Below that there are plenty of cheaper options out there, some worthy of consideration, some junk. Should Trek be offering cheaper bikes? Should Shimano offer a lower group tier?

I duuno? People often moan about the high cost of modern living, but my standard of living is way higher than my parents and there's was way higher than my grandparents. I realise that may vary in different parts of the world.
Someone was trying to establish an entry level base. I was simply helping establish it.
Old 03-24-23, 11:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Someone was trying to establish an entry level base. I was simply helping establish it.
Fair enough. I thought someone was suggesting that Trek etc were promoting their higher spec bikes as "entry level".
Old 03-24-23, 12:05 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I’ve purchased vintage Campagnolo aero water bottles with cage for over $100 each.Not a waste to me but the water will be as hot as the ambient temps.
Old 03-24-23, 12:37 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The thread is making me think of this movie clip.

Last edited by seypat; 03-24-23 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-24-23, 02:21 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Going out of true is just part of riding .........
Really? If that's the case, the wheel build wasn't done right in the first place. I have never had re-true any of the wheels I've built and one pair has over 10,000 miles.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-24-23, 02:29 PM
Jeff Neese

Honestly the shops didn’t routinely check wheels back “they used to”. I’ve often had to true, tension, and dish wheels that are OEM on 30 to 40 year old bikes at my local co-op. Going out of true is just part of riding but dish isn’t something that can really change due to riding.
To be honest, I haven't bought that many new bikes in my life, and the last time I did it was a 1983 Trek 720, and then another one (an '84) for my girlfriend at the time. Truing and tensioning the wheels was definitely part of what they did for me, on those bikes. I toured a lot of miles on those wheels and never needed a thing.

I've heard other shop owners say they did that too, but for only higher-end bikes or by customer request. Most shops offer some sort of tune-up after a period of riding, don't they? Would they check then? We all agree that wheel truing and spoke tension is important. I'm wondering how that happens for the average Joe, or maybe a first-timer.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 03-24-23 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-24-23, 02:30 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Really? If that's the case, the wheel build wasn't done right in the first place. I have never had re-true any of the wheels I've built and one pair has over 10,000 miles.
Gonna call BS on that one. If we never had to true wheels, wheel truing wouldn’t be a thing.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-24-23, 02:36 PM
cyccommute 

To be fair, I haven't bought that many new bikes in my life, and the last time I did it was a 1983 Trek 720, and then another one (an '84) for my girlfriend at the time. Truing and tensioning the wheels was definitely part of what they did for me, on those bikes. I toured a lot of miles on those wheels and never needed a thing.

I've heard other shop owners say they did that too, but for only higher-end bikes or by customer request. Most shops offer some sort of tune-up after a period of riding, don't they? Would they check then? We all agree that wheel truing and spoke tension is important. I'm wondering how that happens for the average Joe, or maybe a first-timer.
Back in the day, it was supposed to be part of the bicycle preparation process when the bike came out of the box. Some shops did it during preparation and a number didn’t. Some did wheel checks on tune-ups but lots of bikes never went back for the tune-up. Most of the off-center wheels I’ve seen have been on bikes that probably went into a garage after a few rides and never saw the light of day until they were donated. Bikes that saw more use either got the problems corrected by the user or some mechanic or the wheels broke and were replaced.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-24-23, 02:53 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Gonna call BS on that one. If we never had to true wheels, wheel truing wouldn’t be a thing.
Call BS all you want. You seem to do that a lot and I don't have any way of proving I'm not BSing you. That's on you if you don't believe me.

If wheels need to be re-trued regularly, it could be due to a number of things - poor wheel build, abuse or inferior components in that order. It has nothing to do with re-trueing being "a thing" or not. The notion that one should expect that wheels need to be re-trued regularly is a myth that needs to be dispelled.

Last edited by Lombard; 03-24-23 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-24-23, 03:15 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

The notion that one should expect that wheels need to be re-trued regularly is a myth that needs to be dispelled.
Is it okay to expect that some wheels might need to be re-trued occasionally? That has been my experience. That said, lateral wobble is way less critical on disc brake bikes, and "meh - close enough" has been applied, on occasion.
Old 03-24-23, 03:36 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
To be honest, I haven't bought that many new bikes in my life, and the last time I did it was a 1983 Trek 720, and then another one (an '84) for my girlfriend at the time. Truing and tensioning the wheels was definitely part of what they did for me, on those bikes. I toured a lot of miles on those wheels and never needed a thing.

'83 and '84 would have been right around the time that Trek had a bit of a problem with wheel tension. In our shop in Baltimore, we were having to tension and true wheels out of the box.

When we asked the sales rep about it, he admitted that, thanks to the exponential increase in their sales numbers over those years, they'd had to farm out the wheel building to senior citizen centers in the vicinity of Waterloo, where the Trek factory was. So the low tension of your wheels might have a side-effect of arthritis.

The only other times I remember seeing woeful wheel tension were with my own bikes.

One was an Eco Pista, Bianchi's then brand-new economy track bike, introduced in 1983. Maybe they were in a rush to get that new line of cheap track bikes out the door. (More evidence of haste: someone forgot that the Eco Pista would be equipped with training-size tubulars, apparently. To make room, the underside of the fork crown was crudely cut away with a coarse half-round file before painting.) Broke several spokes on the front wheel, of all things, before I gave up and rebuilt it with new spokes.

The other was a first-year Specialized Langster fixed-gear bike---broke quite a few spokes in both wheels before rebuilding them. Also probably a rush job. One of the fork blade tips is welded at a canted angle, so I have to pull the front wheel to one side while tightening the axle nuts. Very annoying. They'd have given me a warranty replacement, no doubt, if I hadn't procrastinated for 14 years before going back to the dealer. (Three-year warranty on the fork.)
Old 03-24-23, 04:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Call BS all you want. You seem to do that a lot and I don't have any way of proving I'm not BSing you. That's on you if you don't believe me.

If wheels need to be re-trued regularly, it could be due to a number of things - poor wheel build, abuse or inferior components in that order. It has nothing to do with re-trueing being "a thing" or not. The notion that one should expect that wheels need to be re-trued regularly is a myth that needs to be dispelled.
I have a set of custom wheels built that needed slight truing after I hit a pothole hard enough to blow both tires, toss both my bottles out of their cages, and rotate the bar forward quite a bit. That's all they've needed in maybe 7-8000 miles. OTOH, all the C&V bikes I bought in 2020-2021 needed some truing. Make of that what you will. Absent something like that pothole, a well built wheelset may simply not need to be trued after thousands of miles.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-24-23, 04:28 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
I don't quite get the desire to disparage how other people choose to spend their money. Somewhere we've lost track of the idea that your waste of money isn't necessarily my waste of money. I'd never buy Rapha or Assos clothing and I don't spend my money on energy bars, most of which I consider inedible. But many people enjoy those things and consider it money well spent, and that's fine with me. On the other hand my wife spent $9,000 on a hand-built custom steel bike frame as a special present for me. I imagine most people here would consider that more than excessive!

There is some wisdom to that old saying "To each his/her own."
Brent

Old 03-24-23, 04:39 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by obrentharris
On the other hand my wife spent $9,000 on a hand-built custom steel bike frame as a special present for me.
WOW!!!! You got yourself a keeper, for sure.
Old 03-24-23, 04:47 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by genejockey
I have a set of custom wheels built that needed slight truing after I hit a pothole hard enough to blow both tires, toss both my bottles out of their cages, and rotate the bar forward quite a bit. That's all they've needed in maybe 7-8000 miles. OTOH, all the C&V bikes I bought in 2020-2021 needed some truing. Make of that what you will. Absent something like that pothole, a well built wheelset may simply not need to be trued after thousands of miles.
Well yes, if you hit a large enough pothole that blows both tires, there is a good probability the wheels will be out of true. That falls under "abuse" even though it's not intentional. Naturally, mountain bikers who do 3ft+ drops can expect wheels to go out of true.

But JRA, you shouldn't have to re-true unless the build was poor or the components were inferior.
Old 03-24-23, 04:48 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
WOW!!!! You got yourself a keeper, for sure.
I’m sure his wife is pretty cool too.
Likes For smd4:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.