Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Rubber rand on shoe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-22, 10:26 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Rubber rand on shoe?

I am thinking of replacing my old Shimano shoes. They’re beat to death.

I’d be using them Gravel and MTB. Probably 80/20 since I only use clipless on the mountain bike on my enduro suffering days.

For true clipless shoes, I’m defining that as no flex to almost no flex and with built in ratchets or Boa systems. So I am not discussing things that look like MTB or skateboarding shoes that happen to be SPD compatible. Similarly, I’m also not looking for as casual shoes that are also SPD capable.

Ok, with that out of the way, I have damaged the toe of so many shoes. Picking up a stick or rock and speed. Having to scramble up or down something I can’t ride. Picking my way up some loose hillside. Front pointing up some terrible loose stuff with baby skulls mixed in.

Ill be the first to admit that this is all self inflicted and that 98% of the damage happens while off the bike. But it IS in the pursuit of riding.

So does anyone make a solid serious amateur or modest racer type shoe with a toe cap? (Cat 3 shoes) I’m envisioning something like the front rand of a rock climbing shoe but without the wraparound tension of a full rand. I think this simple addition would add 5 years to the life of my shoes.

Shoe goo or Freesole may help but wouldn’t hold up as long, and definitely doesn’t stick as well once a pair is well used due to insidious dust.

Here is a very typical exposed front end of a very high quality cycling shoe

And here is the protective rubber that surrounds every climbing shoe on the market.

Can these two get together? 5.ten and Evolve, and Upclimbing and probably several other already make both types of shoes.
Old 10-16-22, 10:40 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I found that cyclocross spikes raise the front of the shoe a bit, and that can help preserve the toe section. Also great for traction in mud, of course.

The Giro Empires shown also have a modicum of toe box protection.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-16-22, 10:44 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Two thoughts - gluing down some tough leather to the toe with perhaps Barge Cement or covering the front of the shoe with 3-M 5200. I don't know how I would get a smooth, good looking finish with 5200 but it would last and protect. (You could go too thick and sand it smooth later.) 5200 is an adhesive we used to glue sailboat decks down to the flange of the hull. Once set, it is stronger than the inter-laminate bond of fiberglass. Those decks do not come off. I've glues sole rubber onto cycling shoes to make them cleat walkable and good floor friendly. I think that job is going to outlast the shoes. (Cleat bolts, straps, uppers ...)

The Barge approach should work. It would be far easier and when the leather is shot, you might be able to peel it off and renew. I'd cut and fit the leather, mask around it with tape, use powerful solvent to remove the original shoe gloss and leather dye and keep the masking tape in place until the Barge is applied and the leather stuck on. Edit: making the leather you apply the appropriate black is easy. Black shoe dye. Any cobbler will have if. One of those cotton puffs on a wire handle will apply it easily. (Probably comes with the jar.) Really easy, fast, dries fast and it's really black! (And will blacken all sorts of other things. Just don't get carried away, You won't be able to find your house in the dark.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-16-22 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-16-22, 11:38 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Two thoughts - gluing down some tough leather to the toe with perhaps Barge Cement or covering the front of the shoe with 3-M 5200. I don't know how I would get a smooth, good looking finish with 5200 but it would last and protect. (You could go too thick and sand it smooth later.) 5200 is an adhesive we used to glue sailboat decks down to the flange of the hull. Once set, it is stronger than the inter-laminate bond of fiberglass. Those decks do not come off. I've glues sole rubber onto cycling shoes to make them cleat walkable and good floor friendly. I think that job is going to outlast the shoes. (Cleat bolts, straps, uppers ...)

The Barge approach should work. It would be far easier and when the leather is shot, you might be able to peel it off and renew. I'd cut and fit the leather, mask around it with tape, use powerful solvent to remove the original shoe gloss and leather dye and keep the masking tape in place until the Barge is applied and the leather stuck on. Edit: making the leather you apply the appropriate black is easy. Black shoe dye. Any cobbler will have if. One of those cotton puffs on a wire handle will apply it easily. (Probably comes with the jar.) Really easy, fast, dries fast and it's really black! (And will blacken all sorts of other things. Just don't get carried away, You won't be able to find your house in the dark.)
I like the way you think. I’ve used Barge before to resole my own climbing shoes. It basically worked.

Amazon definitely has 1.2mm shoe rubber in sheets for cheap.

I could definitely do that. Knowing my luck, the buckles would break right after spending a bunch of time customizing the shoes.

I don’t think I’m being that weird or have that esoteric of a riding style. It definitely seems like something that ought to exist.
Old 10-16-22, 11:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
LG Granite is an spd shoe with a hard textured material around the toe box.
Old 10-17-22, 02:55 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
I used to ride with mavic crossmax elite and loved them and they wrap the foot well and can be fitted with bigger supplied studs. Great XC shoe

when they die, I tried shimano xc7 and did not like them, i settled for fizik terra atlas which are ok but the sole is not as aggressive a the crossmax but, they are OK to hike with if needed (3 punctures in one ride 5miles away feom home and no more spare tube for example)… as they have front stud threaded locations, I will be adding 2 front studs per shoes to deal with the local muddy rocky terrain.
Old 10-17-22, 09:32 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I'm riding Shimano XC5 MTB shoes (now the XC502) for gravel and I really like them. They're comfortable and very durable. Not nearly as stiff as my Bont Helix road shoes (ultra rigid), but that doesn't seem to matter. I would say they are medium stiff but flexible enough for me to stay in all of the time while bikepacking. I think the price is quite reasonable for the quality of the shoe.
Sounds to me like they may meet your criteria. Check 'em out:
LINK
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 10-17-22, 09:42 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Continued from above:
Here are my actual shoes after ~10k miles of riding and they are still going strong. No appreciable signs of wear inside or out.
Old 11-28-22, 05:36 AM
Sayemone

Bikes: '93 Trek 520 - '94 Ferraroli Elegante - '95 Sunn 5000- '96 Decathlon Rockrider 700 - '21 Chiru Vagus Ti

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have "old" Specialized Recon Mixed Terrain shoes.
Protection is great, carbon sole is stiff but flexible enough to hike-a-bike (not for too long) and the faux-leather is resistant.
One drawback is the outer sole where I have damaged some knobs.

Otherwise they're the most confortable shoes I have ever had, riding 12+ hours without pain. And I love their look!
They're not waterproof (mesh on top) though
Old 11-28-22, 10:57 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm not sure which model of Sidi that is in the OP, but I have Sidi Drako MTB shoes and they have a hard plastic/rubber protective cap on the front of them:

Likes For msu2001la:
Old 11-28-22, 12:18 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,060 Times in 3,810 Posts
I use the Bont Riot+ MTB for my gravel and MTB riding. It has some protection of the toe...

I have the road version of the Riot+, as well. My feet really like these shoes.
Old 11-28-22, 01:01 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Rolla
I found that cyclocross spikes raise the front of the shoe a bit, and that can help preserve the toe section. Also great for traction in mud, of course.
I love toe spikes for CX and MTB, but they do make walking in the shoes on hard surfaces very difficult. I wouldn't want to walk into a coffee shop in them, for instance.
Old 11-28-22, 04:08 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
My shimano shoes haven't had a problem with this (basically post #8)

I supposed I could put a rand on them like I do with my climbing shoes (Barge to the rescue!). Lord knows I have plenty of that climbing shoe rubber.

I do have cleats on the tips of shoes (CX style). Doesn't hinder me walking, reduces the wear, and of course makes the "hike a bike uphill" a piece of cake compared to not having them.
Old 11-28-22, 04:47 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
These have the most rubber rand I've seen I think https://quoc.cc/collections/gran-tou...39987142393879

Old 11-28-22, 07:13 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
I'm riding Shimano XC5 MTB shoes (now the XC502) for gravel and I really like them. They're comfortable and very durable. Not nearly as stiff as my Bont Helix road shoes (ultra rigid), but that doesn't seem to matter. I would say they are medium stiff but flexible enough for me to stay in all of the time while bikepacking. I think the price is quite reasonable for the quality of the shoe.
Sounds to me like they may meet your criteria. Check 'em out:
LINK
Great Thread !

Clipped_in I'm interested in the 'sizing' - what's your 'shoe size' and what size do you use in these shimanos?
From my experience with Shimano shoes over the years, sizing can vary enough to be a full size different between models; and I haven;t seen these in our area LBS...
Thx
Ride On
Yuri
Old 11-30-22, 09:52 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Originally Posted by cyclezen
Clipped_in I'm interested in the 'sizing' - what's your 'shoe size' and what size do you use in these shimanos?Yuri
I typically wear a 11.5 D dress shoe. I wear a 46.5 road shoe. Shimano shoes don't come in half sizes so I went with a size 12. They fit great! Roomy in the toe box but not too much.
Old 11-30-22, 01:36 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
I typically wear a 11.5 D dress shoe. I wear a 46.5 road shoe. Shimano shoes don't come in half sizes so I went with a size 12. They fit great! Roomy in the toe box but not too much.
Thanks... Last time I bought Shimano shoes, they were sized Euro (43,44,45...) not US...
Yuri
Old 11-30-22, 09:52 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Perhaps you could dip the toe in plasti-dip or some decent automotive bed covering to prevent getting torn up.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 03-23-23, 02:56 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I finally got something. I went with the 5.10 Kestrel, it's SPD, walkable, and a lot stiffer than I would have expected. I do like that they come with Stealth dot rubber. They would be totally appropriate on MTB days and I'm pretty sure they have what I need from a gravel shoe without the roadie look. I don't know, I kinda like my bright ballerina shoes.

I used my dividend at REI and 20% off, and a gift certificate I got for my birthday awhile ago. My total out of pocket was $8. Though I'm still not convinced on the BOA

They have less toe protection than I would have guessed from the pictures but it seems like a tougher material in that area. There are exposed threads at the toe that may eventually fray.

Since they are brand new and not dirty, now is a good time to give them a little protection with Shoe Goo. I'm optimistic that these will work with some minor work. We'll find out.
Old 03-23-23, 07:39 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm not sure which model of Sidi that is in the OP, but I have Sidi Drako MTB shoes and they have a hard plastic/rubber protective cap on the front of them:

This has got to be the nicest shoe I’ve ever seen. But at $500, currently $375 on sale, it’s a pretty tough sell.
Old 03-24-23, 06:00 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
This has got to be the nicest shoe I’ve ever seen. But at $500, currently $375 on sale, it’s a pretty tough sell.
The Dragon has similar, but not the same features as Drako and is a bit cheaper. FWIW, the Dragon is the nicest Sidi model that comes in the wider mega sizes. I like these two models in part for the replaceable treads. They are a nice plus since I like to wear my MTB shoes for multi week and multi month bike tours where I walk on hard surfaces and hike on rocks a lot since I hate to carry the extra weight of another pair of shoes. It sucks to wear out the treads on an expensive pair of shoes. Being able to replace them is a big plus in that situation.
Old 03-24-23, 08:17 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I paid $300 for mine in 2017. After 6 years of abusing them on gravel and CX training rides and races, they still work as good as they did the day I unboxed them.

If I ever manage to wear these shoes out (which frankly seems unlikely), I would have zero hesitation spending $500 on a new pair. In the arc of cycling expenditures, this one seems like a massive bargain.
Old 03-30-23, 09:42 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
These have the most rubber rand I've seen I think https://quoc.cc/collections/gran-tou...39987142393879

These look interesting!! Anybody wearing them? I have a pair of 9-year-old leather Dromartis that have been fantastic, but I am thinking about an alternative pair for a backup... These are a lot less expensive than the Dromartis...
Old 03-31-23, 06:26 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I have them, they are stiff and durable, not particularly breathable or light. Wider in the toebox with a tight heel. Mine ran a little small compared to Lake and Shimano. I'd size up 1/2-1 full size
Old 03-31-23, 07:26 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Thanks. Do you like/recommend them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.