Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any old guys here doing strength training?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any old guys here doing strength training?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 09:22 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Recently started to do body weight squats on Saturday mornings. Last week I did 4 sets of 200. This week I'm shooting for 5 sets.

I'm going to have to figure out how to add some weight as I'm doing a *LOT* of squats to get to the hard ones at the end.

Just started going to beginner yoga, too, to help with flexibility issues. I can lift and carry my bed - but I can't get OUT of it these days without some yoga-based stretches. LOL
Old 07-29-23, 09:52 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

I had the good luck to find a newer Total Gym to replace the gym that didn’t make down to Florida with me! Had to add some more weights to make it worthwhile to use! Plus, with heavier weight I don’t have to count as high when I’m doing my reps! I’m a bit over on the 400lbs weight limit…
With all of the old injuries the Total Gym allows me to do a lot of different exercises that would cause problems with free weights…
Old 07-29-23, 10:10 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
I have been adding to my, “Land Mine”, equipment. Can’t find any pictures right now, but, will add some later as I start using it.
All unsupported lifting, so, I’m really pushing with the Total Gym to build a good solid base and core.
Just turned 69 and am living alone, ‘cept for, Max, the cat, I can’t afford to get hurt!
A lot of old injuries are making their presence known!
You can do a lot with the Land Mine accessories and should be very effective, quickly!

Last edited by billnuke1; 07-29-23 at 10:18 PM. Reason: !
Old 08-08-23, 11:32 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
My current strength workout grew from the PT I needed as I was recovering from being hit by a car in Nov. 2021; I had a lot of injuries from that, but the worst were a broken shoulder and 5 of the ribs beneath it, 4 fractured vertebrae and a broken ankle (surgically repaired with 2 screws).

I do upper body exercises; curl, overhead press, bent butterfly, bench press, pull down, etc. Squats, hamstring strengthening and calf raises (I figure my legs are getting enough strength from cycling, I mostly want the extra weight through my spine). And, some core with leg raises, crunches, planks, bird dog and push-ups.

It takes just about a half hour, so I can get it done at lunchtime (I do IT work/WFH) and I’ve been sticking to a Mon./Wed./Fri. schedule.
Old 08-09-23, 10:33 AM
Bluejohn

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I try to barbell squat 3x a week to keep my legs conditioned as it's pretty hilly where I am - I keep it fairly light but push the reps higher so that as my quads fatigue other muscle groups have to step up and compensate. Usually go with 225lbs for 100 reps in 5 sets of 20 which is enough work but doesn't leave me sore and affect my ability to ride my commute the next day.
Old 08-09-23, 11:32 AM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I’ve been doing all bodyweight at home. No barbells or dumbbells, just a weighted vest and pull-up bar.

I have it down to 12 minutes, 3-4 days a week. It’s so fast and relatively easy, I pretty much never miss a workout. And that’s the key.

Good results for sure, I turned 55 this year

Likes For CyclingBK: