Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Salsa Warbird brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-23, 09:24 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Salsa Warbird brake upgrade

I have a 2019 Salsa Warbird with TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes. It's pretty nice, but I have been having issues with cubital tunnel syndrome in my right arm (getting tingling in my pinky and ring finger). The mechanical levers aren't too hard to pull, but I think having a lighter pull action would help. Was thinking TRP HY/RD calipers, has anyone tried these on a Warbird? The rear caliper is inside the rear triangle, and I've read good things about the HY/RDs, but also that there might be clearance issues for bikes like the Warbird on the rear. Anybody with a Warbird try these?

Dave
Old 01-22-23, 11:28 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Juin Tech, and some others with the same design, also have cable hybrid brake calipers that are smaller than TRP's. Both 2 and 4 piston versions.
Old 01-24-23, 05:54 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Juin Tech, and some others with the same design, also have cable hybrid brake calipers that are smaller than TRP's. Both 2 and 4 piston versions.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look at that too. Would the feel be similar to a full hydraulic system?

Dave
Old 01-24-23, 06:13 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Not as easy to pull as a full hydraulic, sort of in the middle. It really comes down to these most common brakes, note that there are some other off / no name brands out there.

Cable Only Options
  • Avid BB7
  • TRP Spyre/Spyke
  • Paul Klampers
  • Growtac (newest on the market)
Cable Pull Hydraulic (hybrid)
  • TRP HY/RD
  • Juin Tech / Yokozuna / + a few other clones
Full Hydraulic
  • Too many to list.
Don't think just because it's hydraulic it's better. A lot of people, myself included, like Paul Klampers more, but they are expensive and weigh more. I haven't tried Growtac. Full hydraulic should have an easier lever pull though, more like an on off in my experience.

Last edited by katsup; 01-24-23 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-24-23, 07:39 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I have a 2019 Salsa Warbird with TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes.
Dave
I too have the TRP Spyres - a nice reliable brake that can be dialed-in using the adjustment screw on each side.

I also have a full hydraulic SRAM brake system on a new gravel bike. The full hydraulic SRAM is an easier pull effort to get the same stopping power - and greater stopping power is available if needed. Not a gigantic difference, but noticeable.

HOWEVER, one annoying quality of many (most?) full hydraulic road brakes is that the calipers ARE NOT ADJUSTABLE like the Spyres. The only way to stop the disc from rubbing the brake pads - and creating an intermittent singing sound as you ride along - is to physically loosen the bolts that hold the caliper to the frame and try to tweak it. And/or you can tweak the disc using an adjustable wrench.

It took me several attempts to rid the front wheel of my new gravel bike of the disc sing. And if your wheels are not built robustly, the disc might start singing all over again when you stand and rock the bike while climbing - or hit a pothole.

I've read good reviews of the TRP HY/RDs and the Juin Techs. I don't know if these systems have caliper adjustment mechanisms. With these brakes you can probably reuse the levers, housings, and maybe the cables you already have. Make sure you get the proper mounting hardware.

Good Luck!

Last edited by jlaw; 01-24-23 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-24-23, 07:54 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
I've read good reviews of the TRP HY/RDs and the Juin Techs. I don't know if these systems have caliper adjustment mechanisms. With these brakes you can probably reuse the levers, housings, and maybe the cables you already have. Make sure you get the proper mounting hardware.

Good Luck!
I've had Juin Techs on two gravel bikes, including my current bike. I like them a lot. They do have a caliper adjustment screw.