Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It seems inevitable……

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

It seems inevitable……

Old 02-13-23, 10:45 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
72 here. Until about 2 years ago, a motored bike was not in the picture. Life changes, for many reasons. I have vintage, Ergo 10, and now 1 road e-bike (rear hub 250watts max). There are classes of assist level to be considered, as well as weight and function (usage). The motored and standard road bikes can co-exist, yes...even complement each other. I have hills - an e-bike benefit is as the 'day off' rider that keeps my riding consistency high. I also ride muchly on public 2 lane roads and at times getting assisted up to about 14-15mph can be a confidence booster in traffic. And the 'greater range' of e-rides is 100% enjoyable.

We are a one car couple.
Love your Mother...Earth.
and do it with style

Across 60 years, the changes seem evolutionary, not revolutionary. It is a big cycling Universe, accept it all.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-13-23 at 10:56 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-14-23, 05:03 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Very interesting, they have great respect for age I read . I need to renew my passport from the Italian counsolette since I'm still permanent resident , not citizen since I just never get around to applying. Id love to travel a bit , but i just get a bit of anxiety traveling out of the country . So I guess it Wisconsin touring for the spring . It always amazes me reading about bikable cities, different food, life styles, etc
One of the good things about Japan is it is safe, you don’t have to worry about violence, crime, or theft, and the tap water is safer even than America. I live in Tokyo, and we travel often to Hokkaido or Okinawa, depending on the season. I love skiing in Hokkaido, but the summers are especially nice. The weather is comfortable, the scenery is spectacular, and the roads are wonderful for cycling. I’m planning on a one-week tour for late next summer. Hokkaido is most famous for its food, the seafood is famous, and it is also the source of much of Japan’s beef and dairy products. There are many good hotels, inns, and restaurants, and these are quite reasonable compared to America or Europe.

Okinawa is not as beautiful as Hokkaido, but the beaches and sea are much like Hawaii, but without the homelessness and crime. The food is not as good in Okinawa, though not bad, and the weather can be unpredictable. The sea is warm, the air is clean, and in the spring or autumn the climate is just right.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 02-14-23, 06:12 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I will be 77 in June. I've changed from longer rides and group rides to shorter fast paced rides either solo or with a couple friends that I trust. That suits my personality. And, I now get out more often. I have nothing against E-bikes but they don't interest me.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 02-14-23, 06:24 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I can see it... But really... Is this a Bicycle?

Not really, but as a guy who used to race off road motorcycles of various disciplines, I have to say it looks like fun and I could see buying one of those . It really does look like fun.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 02-14-23, 08:56 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
A bit off topic...how do you like your new Diverge?

I bought a 2022 Diverge Sport Carbon and now that I have changed some components I feel like it's really dialed-in. Very plush with the front stem suspension and big tires.

Re: the idea of an ebike...I took a nice 20 miler yesterday on the Diverge through the local countryside and encountered a 10-person bicycle chain gang going the other way at a pretty fast clip. I had to chuckle as there was one 'grey beard' giving it everything he had to barely hang onto the back of the pack. I thought 'that would be me unless I had an ebike!'

The new Diverge is wonderful. Partially no doubt to it actually being a correct size for me 🤣🤣 I’ve usually purchased used bikes that while being close to my size, were not quite right. And the ETap just ruined me as well, I had no clue how much nicer electronic shifting was until I took it for a spin.
I put a Selle Anatomica on it and 32c Michelin Power Road tubeless tires with this also being my first tubeless bike too. I have two wheelsets for it with the other wearing 38c gravel tires, this bike is going to see much use.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 02-14-23, 09:01 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
72 here. Until about 2 years ago, a motored bike was not in the picture. Life changes, for many reasons. I have vintage, Ergo 10, and now 1 road e-bike (rear hub 250watts max). There are classes of assist level to be considered, as well as weight and function (usage). The motored and standard road bikes can co-exist, yes...even complement each other. I have hills - an e-bike benefit is as the 'day off' rider that keeps my riding consistency high. I also ride muchly on public 2 lane roads and at times getting assisted up to about 14-15mph can be a confidence booster in traffic. And the 'greater range' of e-rides is 100% enjoyable.

We are a one car couple.
Love your Mother...Earth.
and do it with style

Across 60 years, the changes seem evolutionary, not revolutionary. It is a big cycling Universe, accept it all.
That Orbea is a beaut.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 02-14-23, 10:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
The few times during the year when I can ride often enough to keep my miles per week over 120 I feel invincible. If I only ride 40 miles a week I feel weak and old.
Old 02-14-23, 10:51 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I can see it... But really... Is this a Bicycle?

It's an electric motorcycle designed in Austria. It doesn't have pedals and there is no way you could confuse it with a bicycle. I'd love to take it for a spin.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-14-23, 10:51 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Not really, but as a guy who used to race off road motorcycles of various disciplines, I have to say it looks like fun and I could see buying one of those . It really does look like fun.
I'd hit it.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-15-23, 02:35 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I used to do a spin class with an 82-year-old guy who told me that his performance level stayed pretty high until he hit 77 or so, when his recovery times started getting longer. He was 30 years my senior and still easily outperforming me.

If I can't make it without help, I will get an e-bike, no hesitation. If I cannot handle roads, I will ride MUPs. If I cannot balance, I will get an e-trike.

So long as I enjoy riding ... why not?
I imagine that recovery time is highly dependent on testosterone levels, which are highly individual. Mine was pretty bad until I went on replacement therapy at 65. Finally last year I was able to string together two 40+ mile days without being a basket case for a week. I will look to improve on that this year, too.
Old 02-15-23, 04:15 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
When I can no longer ride a bike, I'll get a walker--maybe put a couple of tennis balls over the the legs so that I don't wear out the feet too fast. I will likely put some serious miles on that thing and by then, STRAVA will have “my gear” choices that make sense to us when we're too old to ride.

Last edited by Classtime; 02-16-23 at 07:40 AM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 02-23-23, 11:05 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
72 here, and don't think I'm quite ready for an e-bike yet. But all of the wind warnings we've had lately has me reconsidering! 30 to 40 mph winds are no fun! Too funny of a coincidence--have the news on as I was typing, and winds today may gust to 50mph.