Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Yosemite National Park bikes only day

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-22-23, 09:29 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

It’s my understanding from watching a couple of videos that the announcement concerning the dates for this comes without much warning. I’ve searched around Google for exactly where I would find the announcement but have come up blank.
Does anyone know exactly how I can find this info as soon as they post it?
Old 03-22-23, 09:58 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
I haven't heard of a Yosemite Bikes Only Day.

Are you thinking of Tioga Pass Road (Highway 120), which is closed in Winter until all the snow is removed?

With the snowpack this year, it probably won't open to vehicles until early July.

You can cycle Tioga Pass Rd. when it's closed at your own risk, but it's not good weekdays when the snow removal crews are working. Weekends in June are ideal times. Sections of the road will be covered in snow, but they are passable on foot if you're cautious. Wet snow avalanches are a possibility, especially later in the day.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-22-23, 10:02 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
They announce the Tioga Pass bike day the week of, not really giving me enough time to plan a visit. Just Google Tioga Pass opening. I'm not sure if there's a way to receive alerts.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-22-23, 10:16 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
May in most years but this has been a doozy of a winter.
THe entire Eastern Sierra should make for some epic Spring and Summer rides with the record snowpack.
Old 03-22-23, 10:24 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
I once rode from Mono Lake into Yosemite. The elevation had me stopping every 1/4 mile to gasp for air and let the heart rate drop. The pass is about 10,000' if I remember correctly. I train at sea level.
Old 03-22-23, 10:47 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I once rode from Mono Lake into Yosemite. The elevation had me stopping every 1/4 mile to gasp for air and let the heart rate drop. The pass is about 10,000' if I remember correctly. I train at sea level.
Yes, Tioga Pass is just a bit shy of 10,000 feet. Many years ago, I rode with two buddies from Crane Flat to Tioga Pass Resort, and stayed there for two nights. TPR is a great base camp, if they ever open up again.

The first morning, the buddies got up before dawn to climb Mt. Dana. I rode down to Lee Vining for a hearty breakfast at Nicely's Diner, then rode back up. The buddies stumbled back to the cabin, exhausted, and asked me to go back down to Lee Vining to buy sandwiches. So I did. I was younger then.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-22-23, 10:52 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Mt Dana isn't such an epic hike, but 10k up to 13k elevation made it slow (& tough) for me and my fiancé. Great views that day.
Old 03-24-23, 05:25 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You can ride a bike around the lower valley at any time. You don't need to wait for a bikes only day. You will not have a lot of conflict with vehicles as I remember from doing it about 15 years ago. The upper part of the park was definitely not bike friendly. There were no bike paths there so you are competing with RVs and similar vehicles on a narrow road. I'm not shy riding roads but we decided to instead go to the lower valley and ride there. It's not a long ride though - 12 miles total. About 15 years ago I went there in mid-July and they had just opened Tioga Pass about a week earlier. There was lots of snow at the edges of the road. Who knows when it will open this year as there is a record amount of snow.
Old 03-24-23, 07:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

You can cycle Tioga Pass Rd. when it's closed at your own risk, but it's not good weekdays when the snow removal crews are working. Weekends in June are ideal times. Sections of the road will be covered in snow, but they are passable on foot if you're cautious. Wet snow avalanches are a possibility, especially later in the day.
A few years ago in Glacier. 13 cyclists were stranded above the slide for hours until a path could be plowed. Their mistake was being up there late in the day.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-24-23, 10:20 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by indyfabz
A few years ago in Glacier. 13 cyclists were stranded above the slide for hours until a path could be plowed. Their mistake was being up there late in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwarMtC2CVo
Yeah, there’s a spot like that on Tioga Pass Rd., as you’re climbing out of Tuolumne Meadows. There’s a big scary sign that reads “avalanche danger, no bikes”. As if.

There’s another similar avalanche spot on the downhill towards Lee Vining. But that’s usually clear by the time they open that section of road.

Old 03-24-23, 11:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
Biker395 knows details very well and took me along once. It was indeed short notice but well worth it.
Old 03-25-23, 04:28 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
9,941 so pretty close. funny how once past the big turnout looking back down towards mono lake/lee vining, it got slightly easier. epic climb that is a must-do. prob better to try and hit it this year in september after labor day and before october arrives.
Old 03-25-23, 09:29 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
9,941 so pretty close. funny how once past the big turnout looking back down towards mono lake/lee vining, it got slightly easier. epic climb that is a must-do. prob better to try and hit it this year in september after labor day and before october arrives.
Another tip: There's a predictable wind that blows from the pass down to Lee Vining in the afternoon, so it's an easier climb in the morning.

One more: It's a ripping fast descent to Lee Vining, but watch for rocks on the road.

Stats: 12 miles, 3200'

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-26-23, 12:42 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Another tip: There's a predictable wind that blows from the pass down to Lee Vining in the afternoon, so it's an easier climb in the morning.

One more: It's a ripping fast descent to Lee Vining, but watch for rocks on the road.

Stats: 12 miles, 3200'
it would seem so.

definitely a ripping descent with potential rocks in the road in the saddlebag lake turnoff area.
Old 03-27-23, 10:02 AM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Did it one year along time ago. We were staying in Mammoth Lakes and I don't remember how we find out but drove to the Tioga Pass entrance and rode to Tenaya Lake and back.
The road was plowed but lots of snow everywhere else and closed to traffic.
It was really spectacular.
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 03-27-23, 10:22 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I found some photos from my June, 2003 trip to Tioga Pass.

2003 was a low snow year. This year will have much more snow.

Old 03-30-23, 12:32 PM
madscycles

Bikes: Canyon road // Salsa mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
But how 'bout them mango margs and bison burgers at mono mart post-tioga climb grind?