Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I think the bus rack is harmful to my front brake

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 08:57 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Any other bike/bus commuters out there experience this? Like the title says, I think the spring tension arm that secures the front wheel is wreaking havoc on the front brake. I having to adjust them like every two days or listen to this awful screeching noise. It's getting to the point where I'm considering converting to a disc brake up front- but I don't have the slightest clue where to begin.

So anyone have any advice on how to keep the bus rack from bogarting my brake or feel free to point out any online resources (educational or parts) so that I may attempt to convert the front brake?

N+1 would solve this, but it's not in the budget (and won't be for some time ).
Old 09-02-11, 09:44 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I use the bus racks every day with my bike. It has cantilever brakes, and the bus holding lever doesn't touch them and they work fine. Are you putting it so high up the tire that it is in contact with the brake? I have fenders on my bike so I always put the retaining bar right in front of the end of the fender, nowhere near the brake.

I saw a complete cable disk brake set on Nashbar.com once for well under a hundred dollars but I'm not sure how to convert. I would certainly need new hubs that are set up to attach a disk.