Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

tip for emergency chain tool with detachable handle?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

tip for emergency chain tool with detachable handle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-22, 10:59 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
A bit hefty at 76g, but this is compact, cheap & well made:

https://www.amazon.com/Pedros-Six-Pa...s%2C147&sr=8-4

I have one (Blackburn?) that great- alloy, small, works well, but not made for years.

And yes, have used it multiple times on the road and trail.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-19-22, 11:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Fix It Sticks chain tool. The mountain kit has the chain tool in it. This is what the tool looks like. It’s really quite small.

Like drlogik, I have never broken a chain in 45+ years of riding. I have had to repair someone else’s chain but never my own.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-19-22, 11:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I bought one of these, but have since misplaced it, and never got to try it..
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-19-22, 11:36 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts

I have this little multi tool that includes a chain tool. Have only used it once, on a friend's bike when he broke his chain on a ride. Folds up very small
Old 02-21-22, 12:38 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I am always confused by this question. In over 450,000 miles of road riding over 50+ years, I have NEVER needed a chain tool. I must be doing something wrong?
In only 35,000 miles, I've never personally needed a chain tool, but I've been on three rides where someone in my group did. Two of those times were caused by chain suck that ended up bending links that needed to be removed to get a straight chainline. And one time was a single broken link only 5 minutes into the ride (and nobody had a chain tool nor quick links, so their ride was over before they properly warmed up). On those 3 occasions I personally wasn't carrying a chain break tool, nor quick links, but after witnessing those 3 events, I now carry a multitool with chain break, and quick link(s) in the saddle bags of ALL my bikes. It's such a simple tool to have on hand, so why not? It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it (within reason).
Likes For Riveting:
Old 02-22-22, 06:18 PM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Because I already carry a bit ratchet and a bit holder, I like the fixit-sticks chain tool.
I liked this picutre because it gives great scale ideas. Never thought the Knipex 125 is as small as standards Schwalbe tire lever.

Oh I almost forgot ... I was wondering what to have the spare hanger for. I mean I had once mine broken off and sure enough bought 2 spares at once, but when I thought of that (and struggling to fit it all in the saddle bag) ... when I bang off a derailleur it would have been so mangled I can't really mount it back on even with new hanger, can i?
Old 02-22-22, 10:44 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Because I already carry a bit ratchet and a bit holder, I like the fixit-sticks chain tool.
Who makes the little ratchet?
Old 02-23-22, 02:54 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
fix it sticks chain tool. the mountain kit has the chain tool in it. This is what the tool looks like. It’s really quite small.

like drlogik, i have never broken a chain in 45+ years of riding. I have had to repair someone else’s chain but never my own.
$50+ !
Old 02-23-22, 07:54 AM
am8117

Ok, just found this one, looks like it can be taken apart and so the handles can be substituted by sticking through an ordinary allen keys!

It's under $20 and comes with spare 11sp link.

https://www.connexchain.com/en/produ...hain-tool.html
Old 02-23-22, 07:55 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Troul
$50+ !
Well, $60 for the mountain bike tool kit but how is there are lots of multitools out there that are just as expensive and a whole lot less user friendly.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-23-22, 07:59 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by am8117
Ok, just found this one, looks like it can be taken apart and so the handles can be substituted by sticking through an ordinary allen keys!

It's under $20 and comes with spare 11sp link.

https://www.connexchain.com/en/produ...hain-tool.html
The problem with tiny chain tools is that you need a lot of leverage to push out a modern pin and they don’t provide much. bboy314 suggested the Park CT-5 above. Someone at my co-op thought this was the most durable chain tool around and was in a position to declare that was the tool we would all use. We break chains several times per day and that tool just plain hurts to use. The one you suggest is even smaller and has less leverage. As many have pointed out, you are unlikely to use it but when you do, you’ll probably regret it.

Old 02-23-22, 08:13 AM
am8117

The problem with tiny chain tools is that you need a lot of leverage to push out a modern pin and they don’t provide much. bboy314 suggested the Park CT-5 above. Someone at my co-op thought this was the most durable chain tool around and was in a position to declare that was the tool we would all use. We break chains several times per day and that tool just plain hurts to use. The one you suggest is even smaller and has less leverage. As many have pointed out, you are unlikely to use it but when you do, you’ll probably regret it.
I don't know why the manufacturer web did not have a better picture, but just in case - there's an actual handle, but I was more getting at the fact i can remove both the handle and the lever and use it with whatever I stick through that I already carry. If someone e.g. carries Knipex pliers they could hold the whole tool with it. I can hold an allen key in a small rag for handle.

I do not really care for ease of use as much as being compact and of course it should not outright look like the chain will break the tool instead. It is for emergency use, not for workshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
connexchaintool.jpg (52.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-23-22, 08:15 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
My experience has been that all multi-tool chain tool attachments are feeble and will break after 2 or three uses, except for the Cool Tool which was superior.

The Park CT-5 is the weight and size of a small multi tool on its own but is robust enough for regular use.
Old 02-23-22, 08:16 AM
am8117

Chain link pictured for scaling, Also the tip seems replaceable which is a nice plus I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
connexchaintool2.jpg (118.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 02-23-22, 08:21 AM
am8117

So the lever has its sleeve part for extension and the chain link is meant to be stored underneath the main chain "well". I'll try to get my hands on this to see how feeble it is, but at least the design looks like someone gave it some thought. After all it is standalone chain tool, not part of multi-tool to be able to say +1 function.
Attached Files
Old 02-23-22, 09:23 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I've carried a Park CT-5 for years. It's quite small and fits easily into my tool roll. If you are really short of space, you could toss your tire levers .
Old 02-23-22, 10:24 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I've also typically traveled with the park due to its strength, and started doing so after breaking a cheaper one, its what I have in my touring kit. Had a chain where the pins were peened to make it stronger, to break it I had to put a wrench on the park tool for extra leverage and a pair of pliers on the post and it held up fine, but that can be the one upside to some of the bigger multi-tools, they have the leverage for tougher chains. For my other regular use bikes I have the crank bros multi-tools to have less to lose in a more compact space.
I haven't seen a broken chain on any group ride for quite a few years now. The new chain tech seems to be a lot stronger.

Yes, the CT-5 doesn't have enough leverage for my 11-speed chains. (It worked fine on 10 speed Campagnolo, though.) I used an adjustable wrench to hold the handle, then the pin finally moved with a lot of finger force on the tiny lever. Ouch.

So I got a Park Tool CT-3.2. Cast steel body, long lever arms. So much better. It's not too practical for touring though.

Well, $60 for the mountain bike tool kit but how is there are lots of multitools out there that are just as expensive and a whole lot less user friendly.
Wow, that looks like it has lots of leverage:

9 ounces (250 grams)? 5.5 inches by 3.5 inches case. It's a bit big, but the tools are all organized and won't rattle around, and there's lots of leverage and control with all the tools.
I might get this for long solo rides way out in the country.

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-23-22 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-23-22, 11:51 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Odd seeing people complaining about how hard it is to break "modern" chains. I've broken a dozen chains ranging from 8-speed to 11 (Shimano, SRAM, and KMC) with my Topeak Hexus X, not a single one was any trouble. Did a couple HG901 Dura-Ace chains recently and a SRAM PC-1130 just last week, every pin came out easily.
Old 02-24-22, 09:31 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Who makes the little ratchet?
A bunch of folks make little bit-driver ratchets: Chapmans, Klein, SwissTool/Victorinox, Wadsworth. That particular one is made by Wera.

Last edited by tcs; 02-25-22 at 01:32 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 02-24-22, 09:33 AM
tcs
Palmer

I ran across this one the other day, the 'KMC Portable'.

Nope, don't own one & don't really know much about them other than just reading the marketing literature.

Last edited by tcs; 02-24-22 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-24-22, 09:39 AM
tcs
Palmer

I gave up on chain tools and went with the ShelBroCo 'all Powerlink' chain.

I miss Sheldon.
Old 02-24-22, 09:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

...aaaand there's the Topeak Ninja C that stores inside your handlbars:

Old 02-24-22, 10:18 AM
tcs
Palmer

I've carried a small chainbreaker tool for lo this past half century...and used it once, on someone else's bike.

If you're riding a fixed gear, single speed or IGH bike, you don't have the luxury a derailleur bike provides of shortening the chain to get rid of a broken/bent link. You'll have to carry some small length of compatible replacement chain in addition to the chain tool.
Old 02-24-22, 11:30 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
...aaaand there's the Topeak Ninja C that stores inside your handlbars:

probably one of the better $15 investments I've done as of recent.
Old 02-24-22, 12:48 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Odd seeing people complaining about how hard it is to break "modern" chains. I've broken a dozen chains ranging from 8-speed to 11 (Shimano, SRAM, and KMC) with my Topeak Hexus X, not a single one was any trouble. Did a couple HG901 Dura-Ace chains recently and a SRAM PC-1130 just last week, every pin came out easily.
Ah, now I get it. Thought you meant you've broken a dozen chains while riding. Wondered what the heck you were doing!

The chain breaker on my multi tool works quite well all in all. Still got a parks solo one eventually after my old one finally broke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.