Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What frames these days for an uberclyde (350lb+)?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 02:50 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Long time lurker here. Bought a Surly Long Haul Trucker back in the day based on advice from this forum, about 10 years ago now. Busted up my first frame, bought a second. It's a great bike but I want to get another adventure/road bike to supplement the first, in case of mechanical issues, and I'm thinking it would be silly to just own a fleet of LHT's (the new one being a Disc Trucker of course, since the LHT is legit discontinued).

So what's good these days?

Criteria:
  • Steel
  • Disc brakes with thru-axle
  • Triple Crank support
  • non-lugged seatpost clamp (don't want to crack the seatpost with my weight!)

What's good out there?
Old 07-11-22, 05:56 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Kona Sutra?
Mine, aside from the rear wheel which has since been upgraded, is holding up fine (2 tours now) and I've been north of 350 for the past two years...
Old 07-11-22, 06:12 AM
Rotten

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
Had an email conversation with Fairdale bikes about rider weight limit just a couple of weeks ago or so.
I was interested in the Fairdale Weekender frame and fork for a build but ended up going another direction.
Anyway here's the quote from the email, "You are looking at approximately 355 lbs for maximum rider weight and gear."
As a superclyde rider myself I have had great luck with 4130 steel bikes. When I lose the weight I switch over to my cf bike.
Old 07-19-22, 11:32 AM
lurch0038

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Disc Trucker 2015 Maroon version and at my top weight I was 420lbs!! (down to 290 now...WOO HOO!!)
I did upgrade the wheels to 48 spoke Velocity Chukkers when I first bought the bike but after that so far the bike has been flawless.
I just wore out the Schwalbe marathon rear tire so this bike has some miles on it.
I completely expect that something will fail but if I havent destroyed this bike I am certain that no one will.
IMO you cant go wrong with a DT.