Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

bar width?

Old 03-19-14, 05:21 PM
Trackliche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Think of bike fitting (including bars) this way: Decide on the shape (lengths, angles, etc) that you want your body to make, then form the bike under that.

Sort of like this:

Yes please: The TRON Light Cycle | DudeIWantThat.com

-TC
Old 03-19-14, 07:19 PM
jmikami

Bikes: Veloforma for my primary.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
So, every rider should know, not what stem length and angle they like. They should take note of how far they like their hands behind the front axle. That is where steering happens.
While this sounds like a much easier way to measure, I always thought that it was more a measurement from the bottom bracket to the saddle to get proper leg position, then from the saddle to the bars to get basic bar position. The axle would only be a good spot to measure from once you have figured out the first part, by itself it does no good. And movement from one bike to another causes this process to start over unless the frames have the same specs. However, I would agree that hand position relative to axle is important for handling and is a driver for getting a proper frame fit and is the reason that you should really pay attention to top tube length so that your hands are in the best position relative to the axle. With standard size bars and frame angles along with proper frame fit this almost always means a 10-12 stem for the typical racer and you are set to go.

I understand your thoughts that it doesn't matter how long the stem is, it is all about hand placement so a 13/14 stem with a short bar is the same as a 10/11 stem with a long bar. I am going to be very relieved when I just get over this hurdle and can go ride my bike. Thanks for the extra info to ponder as I figure out my new bars. I will post a pic in the bike section when all done ... hopefully in action.
Old 03-19-14, 08:24 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I'm not a Scatto owner, but I will add that for a lot of more normally sized riders (I'm 5'10" with typical arm/leg/torso lengths) the currently in vogue lo-pro frames with a big-reach/drop sprint bar yields a shortish stem and a lot of spacers. On my road bike I ride a slammed 120mm stem with Pro Vibe 7S bars, but on my Dolan it's 100mm flipped upside down stem on top of 25mm of spacers to my Easton EC90. So a Scatto would actually make sense in my case. Anybody wanna donate theirs?
Old 03-19-14, 08:35 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
on my Dolan it's 100mm flipped upside down stem on top of 25mm of spacers to my Easton EC90. So a Scatto would actually make sense in my case. Anybody wanna donate theirs?
It would totally make since for you- on the 57cm Dolan
Old 03-19-14, 08:38 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
It would totally make since for you- on the 57cm Dolan
I think I'd be right there with a down-flipped 120 on my 55. But the wife will never go for it...

I like the Easton anyhow. I enjoy not being up-to-date.
Old 07-22-22, 10:50 AM
Bisexcycle

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
I was a disciple of Rory O'Reilly, a long time ago. One of the tenets was huge gears. I raced, for a while, in a 114 inch gear. And I once beat a very competent racer to the line while standing up and throwing my bike back and forth like a road sprinter. The fellow who I beat made a comment to the effect that he'd never seen that before and never expected to see it again. And I put that down in print just to show Carleton that he doesn't know everything.

WRT to the OP, I argue that you are worrying about a whole lot of nothing. When I was young and fast, I used 42 cm bars, just like on my road bike. That worked fine, just like it did for about a zillion other "endurance" track riders. Later, when I wasn't as young and wasn't as fit, and tried to hide it as short distance rider, I used 38 cm bars, just like all the other short distance guys. That worked fine too. Hmm...

Short version: the width of your handlebars just isn't going to make a difference in your results. Find a pair that feels right to you (don't tell your girlfriend I said that) and then train your ass off. That's all there really is to it.

Well in the end racing results doesn't matter. But I thought narrower bars would be better for long distance. It's certainly true for Time trial and hour records. Also 114in ya must of have had beast legs. Were you also able to get the cadence up in the big gear?