Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22, 01:11 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Years ago at a startup I worked for, we were having one of those Friday afternoon parties Biotechs used to have, inspired by Genentech's "Hohos". The CEO said something like, "People say one way to tell whether you like the company you work for is whether you'd keep working there if you won the lottery."

I said, "I think the way you'd know is if you bought the company."

CEO's smile got distinctly less genuine.
For me, such winnings would just make me a bigger malpractice target than I already am. F that.
Old 07-30-22, 02:09 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'd say that my Dad would roll over in his grave if I hired somebody to do that, but he was cremated and his ashes are in a box on a bookcase in his old house, so.....
My dad moved to Florida, when he got tired of shoveling snow. He was 75.
Old 07-30-22, 02:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
My dad moved to Florida, when he got tired of shoveling snow. He was 75.
When I, the last of 6 kids, moved out, Dad finally got the snowblower we'd been asking for for years. There's a lot to shovel there. But he never wanted to move anywhere else, having spent so many years making the yard so beautiful.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-30-22, 02:56 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
That would be fun! But, need a lot of real estate.
And, of course, it won’t go DDWFTTW.
Old 07-30-22, 02:59 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am back from my ride. I was going to title it "Bait and Switch" because at the start, the ride leader and a few of the other riders wanted to do a shorter and flatter ride. I said I was really hoping to do the longer and hillier ride as promised, but it seemed I was outnumbered so I agreed to do the shorter one.

During the ride, I noticed my RD was acting up. It would not want to go to the biggest cog in back, but also did not want to go to the 2 or 3 smaller cogs in back.

I am a-frayed I know why. After lunch, I will disassemble and find out if my fears are correct.

FWIW this is the new R8000 shifter and I would estimate it has about 2500 miles on it.

Update:

As expected, the RD cable was frayed inside the shifter. I am angry and disappointed. This happened to me on BOTH 6700 equipped bikes, I had figured the newer R8000 would give better cable life but apparently not. This has happened to me SO MANY TIMES that I am starting to think this is not necessarily a design defect by Shimano but user error and/or user over-use. The area I ride in certainly is quite rolling, so I do shift the RD quite frequently.

Comments?? Suggestions?? I know going electronic would solve the problem, but reminder that my bike is set up for rim brakes and external cables, and the latest generation wireless shifting from Shimano and SRAM do not support this, I believe....plus I am thrifty and don't feel like coughing up $3K for a new groupset (the R8000 full groupset was $1K).

Sigh.
Old 07-30-22, 03:03 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Update:

As expected, the RD cable was frayed inside the shifter. I am angry and disappointed. This happened to me on BOTH 6700 equipped bikes, I had figured the newer R8000 would give better cable life but apparently not. This has happened to me SO MANY TIMES that I am starting to think this is not necessarily a design defect by Shimano but user error and/or user over-use. The area I ride in certainly is quite rolling, so I do shift the RD quite frequently.

Comments?? Suggestions?? I know going electronic would solve the problem, but reminder that my bike is set up for rim brakes and external cables, and the latest generation wireless shifting from Shimano and SRAM do not support this, I believe....plus I am thrifty and don't feel like coughing up $3K for a new groupset (the R8000 full groupset was $1K).

Sigh.
This thing lasted, like, three months, right? To me that says installation error or defective part.
Old 07-30-22, 03:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
This thing lasted, like, three months, right? To me that says installation error or defective part.
Yes. But I have had the same exact problem with Shimano 6700 shifters for the past decade. It's possible I installed the cable incorrectly but I follow the instructions exactly. I am open to suggestions but I think I may just be cursed.

Will post in "Mechanics" to see if they have any insight. Expectations set on low.
Old 07-30-22, 03:44 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,719 Posts
Add this to my horrific experience with the Healthcare industrial complex. Today I get an email notification that stomach biopsy results are ready in my patient portal. Odd, I thought. They already gave me those results after I called and twisted their arm. This was on Tuesday the 26th. After brow beating them to suggest some treatment plan before my follow up appointment 16 days later, they suggested probiotics. When l logged in and read the letter on the portal, IT WAS DATED THE 20TH. 6 days sooner than my call. They either don't care, their office procedures don't emphasize high level of customer service or their portal email technology sucks. A 6 day head start on this issue is potentially 6 days of quicker relief.
SMH
Old 07-30-22, 03:48 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Yes. But I have had the same exact problem with Shimano 6700 shifters for the past decade. It's possible I installed the cable incorrectly but I follow the instructions exactly. I am open to suggestions but I think I may just be cursed.

Will post in "Mechanics" to see if they have any insight. Expectations set on low.
your shift cables are treating you like the Healthcare industrial complex is treating me. There's a word for it but the filter won't like it.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 07-30-22, 04:07 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Cutting your housing with a bad tool? Not using a ferrule on the shifter end?
Old 07-30-22, 04:11 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Update:

Sigh.
I know for a fact I mentioned that that happened to my R8000. Shimano wants you to go Di2 or pre-emptively swap the cables. Yes it's a cop-out on their part but SRAM comes with bigger issues.

I was meaning to go Ekar at the end. Had it all planned with a shop in Boulder to do the work.
Old 07-30-22, 04:12 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts

Someone in the road forum said they had really short cable life with Shimano. I don't remember what generation their shifter was but they seemed to think it was normal. I have the 6600 on the Gunnar, the one where the cable exits the shifter at the top of the hoods, and the cable lasts many thousands of miles. The shifting is a very light touch, hardly any effort. Is yours like that or do you have to push hard to shift?
Old 07-30-22, 04:12 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

I can't wait until I'm back posting quality post ride reports as in the past.
#MarigoldJacket
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 07-30-22, 04:13 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

It's probably a combination of the volume you ride and the amount of shifting you do on your beloved hills instead of the flats I used. I can't imagine it's installation error.
Old 07-30-22, 05:03 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I can't wait until I'm back posting quality post ride reports as in the past.
#MarigoldJacket
I’ll bet. I hope the day happens soon. You deserve a break from all of the medical crap.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 07-30-22, 05:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Update:

Sigh.
I'm running hydro R8000. I had to replace a fraying RD cable earlier this year, but I think that it had 8k+ miles on it. I probably got somewhere around that on the non-series shifters on the Domane, too.
Old 07-30-22, 05:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Last night, I was attempting to adjust the saddle on the Litespeed down just a couple mm. I loosened the clamp bolt with no real issue, moved the saddle, and tried to re-tighten it. It felt strangely NOT like it was tightening then suddenly *SNAP* and the damn thing broke. I popped out the non-wrench side, and it was a keyed seatpost bolt. Thing is, it doesn't look like the fitting was made for a keyed bolt, so it had kinda made its own slot. But not being keyed means that it had also turned at some point(s) in its life, so it just pushed the metal out of the way, resulting in flaring the fitting a bit.

Grrrrr. Previous owner had put in the wrong seatpost clamp bolt and just gone ahead and tightened it. I'm amazed it worked, but it also explains why the thing didn't feel like the usual clamp bolt where it gets progressively harder to turn before essentially stopping. BUT, it should be fine with a new seatpost bolt, this one with the key filed down, since I couldn't find one without a key. Oh, I suppose I could spend $40 buying one of Campagnolo's glass seatpost bolts. Right.

So, the Litespeed is Hors de Combat while I wait for the replacement. BTW, I ordered two, because I could have sworn I ordered two the last time I needed one but an hour's fruitless searching was, well, fruitless. Of course, the Litespeed is what I really want to ride tomorrow. I guess I'll have to make do with the Canyon. Oh, poor me!

Old 07-30-22, 05:16 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I must say, running is one eff of a lot simpler than cycling. Picked up a new pair of shoes on Friday, installed the tri-geek laces, and now they're good-to-go until spent. No weird malfunctions or maintenance issues. No upkeep. No flat mid-soles.
Old 07-30-22, 05:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I must say, running is one eff of a lot simpler than cycling. Picked up a new pair of shoes on Friday, installed the tri-geek laces, and now they're good-to-go until spent. No weird malfunctions or maintenance issues. No upkeep. No flat mid-soles.
Yeah, but nobody's going to buy your 27 year old running shoes to build up a new set of running shoes with all the modern componentry.

Old 07-30-22, 05:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Waiting for darkness to descend on the Chinese Lantern Festival.

Old 07-30-22, 05:58 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Cutting your housing with a bad tool? Not using a ferrule on the shifter end?
Good questions but no. The cable breaks inside the shifter where there is a tight turn. It’s before it even gets to the housing.
Old 07-30-22, 06:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Mrs datlas took Heidi to the Jersey Shore today so it’s a quiet evening alone with Jackie.
Old 07-30-22, 06:18 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Good questions but no. The cable breaks inside the shifter where there is a tight turn. It’s before it even gets to the housing.
I wonder if Jagwire or some aftermarket cable would be superior? I used to buy aftermarket cables for the motorcycles and they were way better than o.e.m.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-30-22, 06:20 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Good, but increased drag anywhere will cause it to break there.
Old 07-30-22, 06:46 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3170 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,153 Posts
Update:

Sigh.
How about 10,000 for a whole new bike?
Likes For seedsbelize2:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.