Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring pics

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-22, 12:36 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Taking the ferry from Levis across the st Lawrence to Quebec City the other day.
Old 07-20-22, 10:43 PM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
What happened to your feet? Nice pictures.
Went for a wash on the wrong side of Bürdür lake, sticky blackish clay that took me 40 minutes to get rid of since I couldn't use my rationed drinking water .
Old 08-10-22, 11:39 PM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

What's happening in this thread? Nobody on tour, no pics? Anyway, I'm on a roll and I'm going to post about it.
Old 08-10-22, 11:46 PM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Some of my best, most exciting miles ever, in the Lesser Kaukasus. Despite the big dogs chasing me every half hour or so.

Old 08-11-22, 06:25 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts

hope he is with her ;-)
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 08-11-22, 06:45 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by CMAW
Mindblowing Cappadocia ...
Beautiful.

Looks a bit like the "badlands" area of Wyoming and South Dakota in the USA.
Old 08-11-22, 07:31 AM
djb

The place is a Turkish Delight apparently.
Old 08-11-22, 07:41 AM
djb

Some of my best, most exciting miles ever, in the Lesser Kaukasus. Despite the big dogs chasing me every half hour or so.
very cool landscapes, cool photos.
Being so wide open, if the weather goes bad, I'm sure it could be quite a handful, and little shelter.
Were those tires ok, I think I'd have preferred wider.
Are they 1.75, 2 inch?

Must have been really neat biking there.
Old 08-11-22, 07:44 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus;22606473 [i
hope he is with her ;-)
I swear the guy was making a video! Started up close and then kinda moved back and made a 360° movement with his phone .
Old 08-11-22, 08:02 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Originally Posted by djb
very cool landscapes, cool photos.
Being so wide open, if the weather goes bad, I'm sure it could be quite a handful, and little shelter.
Were those tires ok, I think I'd have preferred wider.
Are they 1.75, 2 inch?

Must have been really neat biking there.
It was only a day and a half up there and in case of really bad weather I could have found shelter in one of the shepherds summer camps, there were quite a few of them (hence the dogs). 2 inch schwalbe almotion in the back, front is a 40 mm GTR1 (bontrager) because I had a blowout earlier. Not great for this kind of terrain, true. Wish I could choose my tires in the morning, depending on what's coming, like you pick out a tie. But it worked, slow and steady when it got really bad.
Old 08-11-22, 12:55 PM
djb

It was only a day and a half up there and in case of really bad weather I could have found shelter in one of the shepherds summer camps, there were quite a few of them (hence the dogs). 2 inch schwalbe almotion in the back, front is a 40 mm GTR1 (bontrager) because I had a blowout earlier. Not great for this kind of terrain, true. Wish I could choose my tires in the morning, depending on what's coming, like you pick out a tie. But it worked, slow and steady when it got really bad.
I have yet to try Almotions. Ive ridden a lot on 2in Supremes 26in, and for those sort of surfaces you were on, wider would be better. As you say though, either due to frame limitations or just balancing how much rough stuff you'll be on vs manageable stuff, it's always a bit of a guess of how wide to go---carrying a certain amount of weight, I lean more and more towards wider nowadays.

Ive used some Schwalbe Hurricanes, inexpensive 2.1 inch with a flattish tread in center, dimples off center, and then some actual knobs on the sides. Worked really well in mixed terrain, and nice with a medium load similar to yours when going in softer stuff cuz the side knobs help a lot in those situations (they make 27.5 and 700 versions in 2.25 and 2.4in) .....BUT there is always a compromise to be made for traction, speed and comfort isn't there?

and as. you say, I've been fine getting by like you with slow and steady through bad bits, but hopefully those aren't too long.

tire talk aside, those areas you're biking through look really cool.
Old 08-11-22, 04:37 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
I swear the guy was making a video! Started up close and then kinda moved back and made a 360° movement with his phone .
I am willing to edit.......
Old 08-11-22, 11:25 PM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Originally Posted by djb
I have yet to try Almotions. Ive ridden a lot on 2in Supremes 26in, and for those sort of surfaces you were on, wider would be better. As you say though, either due to frame limitations or just balancing how much rough stuff you'll be on vs manageable stuff, it's always a bit of a guess of how wide to go---carrying a certain amount of weight, I lean more and more towards wider nowadays.

Ive used some Schwalbe Hurricanes, inexpensive 2.1 inch with a flattish tread in center, dimples off center, and then some actual knobs on the sides. Worked really well in mixed terrain, and nice with a medium load similar to yours when going in softer stuff cuz the side knobs help a lot in those situations (they make 27.5 and 700 versions in 2.25 and 2.4in) .....BUT there is always a compromise to be made for traction, speed and comfort isn't there?

and as. you say, I've been fine getting by like you with slow and steady through bad bits, but hopefully those aren't too long.

tire talk aside, those areas you're biking through look really cool.
Georgia is fantastic, bit of a hype destination in Europe recently. There's a flat portion in the north, it's called the beach, and the rest of it are mountains . So you have to be careful and take lots of time off, to enjoy the great food for example.
For wider tires I'm gonna need a new bike, maybe in a year or two - Fits Fatties Fine, but times change and you get older. Since a few years I've been toying with the idea to bring an extra tire for the front, a medium knobby Thunderburt, for this kind of situation. I' ve never done it (the weight!) and at some point always regretted it.
Old 08-12-22, 02:39 AM
djb

Georgia is fantastic, bit of a hype destination in Europe recently. There's a flat portion in the north, it's called the beach, and the rest of it are mountains . So you have to be careful and take lots of time off, to enjoy the great food for example.
For wider tires I'm gonna need a new bike, maybe in a year or two - Fits Fatties Fine, but times change and you get older. Since a few years I've been toying with the idea to bring an extra tire for the front, a medium knobby Thunderburt, for this kind of situation. I' ve never done it (the weight!) and at some point always regretted it.
Salut le belge, unless you're a Flemish speaker so maybe no French....I spent a few days in Belgium earlier this summer, riding over from the Netherlands. Ended up in Ghent where I was surprised people mostly spoke English (my first time in Belgium so no experience)

I have a different model of fatties fit fine, that can take up to 2.5 maybe 2.8 tires, a Troll, and that was the appeal for me.
But there are lots of neat bikes that can take wide tires now, and I'm probably a lot older than you, so really like the wider comfort thing.
And wider and low pressures works pretty good for different terrain, within reason and to a certain extent anyway.
Old 08-12-22, 08:54 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Cool, Ghent is maybe the best city to spend some time in on tour. We're a small country, invaded by everybody with a half decent army, so we speak our foreign languages.
Old 08-12-22, 09:11 AM
djb

Cool, Ghent is maybe the best city to spend some time in on tour. We're a small country, invaded by everybody with a half decent army, so we speak our foreign languages.
On your last comment, that is exactly why I rode into Belgium--I went to drop in on my grandfathers kid brother who went there in '44 and stayed there, but unfortunately buried soon after in a small Canadian military cemetery near a tiny town not far from the Dutch border.
And oddly enough, it's only about 60kms from Paschendale where my grandfather left a leg back in 1917......weird eh? nearly 30 years apart, thousands and thousands of kms from Canada and the two brothers go through all that ugliness in almost the same place in Belgium....but at least my grandfather came back.
cheers
Old 08-12-22, 09:44 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

It's less weird (but just as sad) when you think of it as one war with a pause in between, as some historians suggest.
Old 08-12-22, 09:50 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Salut le belge, unless you're a Flemish speaker so maybe no French....I spent a few days in Belgium earlier this summer, riding over from the Netherlands. Ended up in Ghent where I was surprised people mostly spoke English (my first time in Belgium so no experience)
How else would they be able to communicate with their fellow countrymen in the South?

I agree. Bruges might be prettier but it has a bit of the same issue as Venice, that the ratio between tourists and inhabitants takes the soul out of the City. Ghen it much more a real living city while it also has really old stuff and canals.
Old 08-12-22, 10:10 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Stadjer
How else would they be able to communicate with their fellow countrymen in the South?
I admit ignorance on my part, I just assumed everyone spoke both Flemish and French and didn't realize English was so widely spoken.
I was wrong.
Old 08-12-22, 10:31 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Originally Posted by Stadjer
How else would they be able to communicate with their fellow countrymen in the South?.
This is just a sarcastic and pretentious comment that has no place in this thread.
Old 08-12-22, 11:37 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I admit ignorance on my part, I just assumed everyone spoke both Flemish and French and didn't realize English was so widely spoken.
I was wrong.
Besides the fact that many Walloons don't speak Dutch, the country is mostly divided by language and having to speak the other's language is not power neutral which makes it complicated. So in the younger generation they often speak in English to eachother because that doesn't carry any political or historical weight. But English is getten spoken by most everywhere, France, Germany, Spain and Italy still not at the front but also moving in that direction. Flanders has always been close to the Dutch in proficiency despite being much better in French than the Dutch.
This is just a sarcastic and pretentious comment that has no place in this thread.
It was a bit sarcastic for good humour, but if English can lighten up the language issue a bit I'd genuinely like that. I didn't want to make it heavy either but I notice from your reaction it still is. For me it's just something that is particular to and interesting about Belgium, which is very dear to me. .
Old 08-17-22, 06:32 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
15 days, 1500km, Spain, Extremadura, Castilla la Mancha, Castilla Leon

Last edited by str; 08-17-22 at 06:45 AM.
Likes For str:
Old 08-17-22, 07:16 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

You can get Estrella Dam and Mahou in Georgia! And I was trying so hard not to think about Spain .
Old 08-17-22, 10:12 AM
str

You can get Estrella Dam and Mahou in Georgia! And I was trying so hard not to think about Spain .

have you been in Georgia? cool. great place.
Old 08-17-22, 10:14 AM
str

15 days, 1500km, Spain, Extremadura, Castilla la Mancha, Castilla Leon

Likes For str:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.