Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

POP! Well crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 02:24 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
that is a very generous offer. very kind of you.
My wife is currently in home hospice care, so I appreciate all the help the nurses provide. Just thought I'd pay back a bit.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-11-22, 02:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,060 Times in 3,810 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
My wife is currently in home hospice care, so I appreciate all the help the nurses provide. Just thought I'd pay back a bit.
If VegasJen wants this wheel, PM me the cost for shipping and where to send money (PayPal, Venmo preferred). I'll pick up the cost for shipping.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-11-22 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-11-22, 03:09 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
If VegasJen wants this wheel, PM me the cost for shipping and where send money (PayPal, Venmo preferred). I'll pick up the cost for shipping.
Awesome!
Likes For big john:
Old 08-11-22, 05:14 PM
Esos1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, maybe not.
I have a Mavic rear wheel for Shimano 11 speed cassette (you would need a spacer for your 8 speed) that was only used indoors on a trainer. 20 spoke count with flat bladed spokes. No skewer. I can get a shipping quote, and you can have it for the price of shipping. Let me know.

This place is the best 😭 Bald Paul, you're renewing my faith in humanity
Old 08-11-22, 05:15 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Thanks for the help so far guys. The good thing is that this is not my only bike, so I'm not dead in the water here.
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Agreed. I just figured, based on her past posts, that she is the type to do much of her own wrenching. Of course, I still wouldn't recommend it considering the spokes and rims are probably on borrowed time as well.
I do. Mostly because there always seems to be more projects than money. I don't like playing the damsel in distress role very much. I prefer to be as independent as possible.
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
To the best of my knowledge, there are no bike co-ops in Las Vegas and VegasJen lives 50 miles west of the Las Vegas valley. There are few used wheels available on our local CL. There is a pair of Vuelta wheels on CL for $100 in North Las Vegas. That seems to be it for an affordable replacement.
Yep. Already been on CL and there are just a couple wheel sets available. The good news is that I still have three more bikes so I'm not lacking for bikes. I just don't like having a broke down bike sitting around. They have a tendency to never get fixed.
Well, maybe not.
I have a Mavic rear wheel for Shimano 11 speed cassette (you would need a spacer for your 8 speed) that was only used indoors on a trainer. 20 spoke count with flat bladed spokes. No skewer. I can get a shipping quote, and you can have it for the price of shipping. Let me know.

Nice wheel. I have never done a cassette so I don't know what's involved. Always up for learning something new though.
Originally Posted by csport
What is the model of the hub? You may be able to get away with a different hub which has similar dimensions. The most important one is PCD - diameter of the circle spoke holes are on. It affects the spoke length more or less on a 1:1 ratio. Flange offset is less important.

For example, many Shimano hubs have 44 or 45mm PCD. I was able to successfully rebuild a rim brake wheelset using Shimano T610 hubs to disc brake using M6000 hubs.
I'm really not sure. It's clear to me I really have no idea just how complicated all this stuff is. I was hoping to actually find the same Race Lite hub as what's broken. Given enough time, I'm sure I could. Eventually. But it really probably would make more sense to simply buy a complete used wheel that's ready to go.
If VegasJen wants this wheel, PM me the cost for shipping and where to send money (PayPal, Venmo preferred). I'll pick up the cost for shipping.
That is very generous of you.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 08-11-22, 11:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Nice wheel. I have never done a cassette so I don't know what's involved. Always up for learning something new though.
You'll need a Park FR-5.2 lockring tool, a chainwhip, and a 1" socket or open-ended wrench (or a medium/large crescent wrench). You put the FR-5.2 into the lockring, place the chain whip on a cog pulling toward the right/clockwise/righty-tighty, and unscrew the locking with the wrench going counter-clockwise/lefty-loosey while pushing the handle of the chain whip to keep the cassette from spinning backwards. Putting the cassette on just requires tightening the FR-5.2 with the wrench with no need for the chain whip.

The biggest issue in home bicycle maintenance is the cost of these specialty tools, but you will find these ones very useful as you will likely need to change cassettes every time they wear out. The FR-5.2 is also useful on most centerlock disk brake lockrings as well.
Old 08-12-22, 09:25 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

The FR-5.2 is also useful on most centerlock disk brake lockrings as well.
Except the ones that need a totally different tool - LOL
Old 08-12-22, 09:26 AM
VegasJen

You'll need a Park FR-5.2 lockring tool, a chainwhip, and a 1" socket or open-ended wrench (or a medium/large crescent wrench). You put the FR-5.2 into the lockring, place the chain whip on a cog pulling toward the right/clockwise/righty-tighty, and unscrew the locking with the wrench going counter-clockwise/lefty-loosey while pushing the handle of the chain whip to keep the cassette from spinning backwards. Putting the cassette on just requires tightening the FR-5.2 with the wrench with no need for the chain whip.

The biggest issue in home bicycle maintenance is the cost of these specialty tools, but you will find these ones very useful as you will likely need to change cassettes every time they wear out. The FR-5.2 is also useful on most centerlock disk brake lockrings as well.
Thanks for the primer. I'll look into the tool(s) for such maintenance. I never really gave much thought to gears wearing out before. Never really had a bike long enough, or put enough miles on one, to wear out gears.

But this repair is likely to be put on the back burner for a while. School is getting ready to start and we've been warned this is the busiest semester of the program. That and the money issue means that particular bike will probably be down for the rest of the year anyway.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 08-12-22, 01:56 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Except the ones that need a totally different tool - LOL
Yeah, I plan to avoid those if possible. Does anyone make a lockring compatible with both? I could see those selling well.
Old 08-12-22, 02:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Yeah, I plan to avoid those if possible. Does anyone make a lockring compatible with both? I could see those selling well.
I have the Wolf Tooth ones on my MTB, but I already had the tool for them. I haven't seen CL lock rings that will work with both tools, but I haven't really looked.
Old 08-12-22, 09:09 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
Looks like you have an excuse to buy a new bike
Old 08-13-22, 11:14 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Well, the lock ring that takes a cassette tool only works with 12mm thru axles. Once you step up to 15mm, you get the other type. The good news is you probably already have the tool for that as well if you have one for external bottom brackets.
Old 08-13-22, 03:03 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Well, the lock ring that takes a cassette tool only works with 12mm thru axles. Once you step up to 15mm, you get the other type. The good news is you probably already have the tool for that as well if you have one for external bottom brackets.
Ah, cool. I'm still on 6 bolt hubs myself, but it's good to know I'm ready for either type of centerlock as well.
Old 08-13-22, 11:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Thanks for the primer. I'll look into the tool(s) for such maintenance. I never really gave much thought to gears wearing out before. Never really had a bike long enough, or put enough miles on one, to wear out gears.

But this repair is likely to be put on the back burner for a while. School is getting ready to start and we've been warned this is the busiest semester of the program. That and the money issue means that particular bike will probably be down for the rest of the year anyway.
For the removing and replacing a cassette, with a couple of inexpensive tools, it's one of the most basic and easiest DIY and really only takes a few minutes. Then maybe a tweak on the rear shifting, which I think you already know how to do?. Take a look at cassette installation or such on Youtube for info. Find a Park Tool video if possible, you can be sure they're good whereas some of the amateur ones are, well, pretty amateur.

Good luck with your school. I graduated Nursing school in the late 70s, it's a tough course but can be a great and varied career. I also know what it's like to have a dead even or negative cash flow during those years. Tough duty all around.

Take the guys up on the free wheel - it will be an easy DIY when you find an hour to take a break on a Saturday afternoon. Remember, you'll need to get a spacer to fit your 8 speed cassette on that wheel, but they're available for free or cheap in bike stores or online.
Old 08-13-22, 11:32 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Camilo
For the removing and replacing a cassette, with a couple of inexpensive tools, it's one of the most basic and easiest DIY and really only takes a few minutes. Then maybe a tweak on the rear shifting, which I think you already know how to do?. Take a look at cassette installation or such on Youtube for info. Find a Park Tool video if possible, you can be sure they're good whereas some of the amateur ones are, well, pretty amateur.

Good luck with your school. I graduated Nursing school in the late 70s, it's a tough course but can be a great and varied career. I also know what it's like to have a dead even or negative cash flow during those years. Tough duty all around.

Take the guys up on the free wheel - it will be an easy DIY when you find an hour to take a break on a Saturday afternoon. Remember, you'll need to get a spacer to fit your 8 speed cassette on that wheel, but they're available for free or cheap in bike stores or online.
Thanks for the advice, and for the encouragement. I do use Youtube a lot for many things and I've run across Park Tool videos so I know they're quality information.

I know the career is worth it, but it's such a drag getting through the school, especially at my age. I have to guess I'm not that far behind you, I'm in my 50s now and this is a second career.

It's not a free wheel but it is certainly cheaper than anything else I've seen. I want to take them up,and I really appreciate the offer, but I have other bikes so this repair is going to end up being a back-burner project. I'm thinking when I graduate and start working that I'll just upgrade the wheels on one of my other, better bikes and recycle those wheels onto this bike.
Old 08-13-22, 11:54 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Thanks for the advice, and for the encouragement. I do use Youtube a lot for many things and I've run across Park Tool videos so I know they're quality information.

I know the career is worth it, but it's such a drag getting through the school, especially at my age. I have to guess I'm not that far behind you, I'm in my 50s now and this is a second career.

It's not a free wheel but it is certainly cheaper than anything else I've seen. I want to take them up,and I really appreciate the offer, but I have other bikes so this repair is going to end up being a back-burner project. I'm thinking when I graduate and start working that I'll just upgrade the wheels on one of my other, better bikes and recycle those wheels onto this bike.
Funny, I graduated college about three years before I went back to get my nursing degree. At ~24 years old, we thought we were "old", grizzled, experienced. Compared to the 18 year old HS grads in the program, I guess we were. There were a couple of 30-somethings in the class, boy they were old! I went back for an MBA when I was about 40, but that was designed for older students - mostly evening classes for the grad courses, most of us were on the 2 class/semester schedule while working.

Hey, nothing worthwhile is a slide downhill! You have to pull the sled up first.
Old 08-14-22, 09:16 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Camilo
Funny, I graduated college about three years before I went back to get my nursing degree. At ~24 years old, we thought we were "old", grizzled, experienced. Compared to the 18 year old HS grads in the program, I guess we were. There were a couple of 30-somethings in the class, boy they were old! I went back for an MBA when I was about 40, but that was designed for older students - mostly evening classes for the grad courses, most of us were on the 2 class/semester schedule while working.

Hey, nothing worthwhile is a slide downhill! You have to pull the sled up first.
No doubt. I'm the oldest one in my class, but there are a couple that aren't too far behind me. Almost everybody else is young enough to be my child. Don't know how it was when you went through, but today all the instructors are talking about "when you go for your Masters" or "your Doctorate" , and I'm thinking, "Ya, you're not talking to me." I'm going to get my ADN and maybe a couple of certifications and just work the next 15 or so years until I retire.
Likes For VegasJen: