Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is your average miles per week (or hours) for us old guys...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is your average miles per week (or hours) for us old guys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 03:38 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
This year between inside and outside I'm averaging 150 miles/week.
Old 12-15-20, 03:43 PM
sparky999
Cycologist

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
120 miles per week

I try to stay at around 20 miles per outing. I could do more, but I alternate with lifting and in the same day I use a climbing machine. I need impact training instead of just cycling...I’m 185 lbs, very fit, and I’ve always looked around 10 years younger....so, it works for me...I started collecting SS in October, but I’m still working remotely in the IT consulting field....
Old 12-15-20, 03:47 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
For 2020 my average is 6 rides and 116 miles per week. That works out to 7.5 hours per week and 4,700 miles this year.
Old 12-15-20, 03:51 PM
sparky999
Cycologist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that’s a good average. It also depends wheee you live. My area has a lot of traffic. It’s hard to pace yourself, unless I go up the Palisades, (NJ/NY) where there’s hardly any cross traffic, so you slip fright through, but there’s lots of hills, and they’re tough...
Old 12-15-20, 05:08 PM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
This topic made me curious to see just how bad I did this year. Checking my logs I came up with 48 miles/week.

I started the year with severe polymyalgia. Began to get that mostly under control by late spring. Then had an MRI show that I also had a partially torn rotator cuff in one shoulder.
Physical therapy helped that issue quite a bit, but the PT suggested shifting some weight off my arms/hands to help with the rotator cuff. Things went rapidly downhill from there when I totally screwed up my fit on my Allez. That caused six weeks of prostatitis. Antibiotics and staying off the bike finally cleared that up, but I missed some great fall fall riding weather.

I'm finally healed up, and have my fit back right. Now the lousy weather is finishing off any possible salvage for this year.
My average for the last 10 years is 85 miles/week.

I qualify for the 70 plus forum Btw.......

Best of luck to y'all. Impressive numbers so far.
Old 12-15-20, 05:23 PM
sparky999
Cycologist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hang tight

You have willpower. Best thing to have.
I’ve recovered form a bulging disk in my cervical spine, and I feel stronger now that I’ve ever felt...
can’t wait for the spring. I went out last on Sunday. 55 degrees, borderline comfortable.
did 25 miles as I knew it was the last one before the winter...
Old 12-15-20, 05:24 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I try to get 7 plus hours a week on the bike. I just need an hour or so a day to feel good. I don't really have any distance goals or speed goals. It's more about finding a balance and riding helps me stay balanced.
Old 12-15-20, 05:29 PM
sparky999
Cycologist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do about 8 hours per week...I try to keep my average speed...no specific goal, but I just need to keep my pace...
Old 12-15-20, 06:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
This would be really good as a poll.

66 and retyred.

During the ‘season’ I ride about 8 to 10 hours a week. Two hour rides are my sweet spot. Riding solo Over 50 it starts to get tedious says the guy who used to do double centuries. If there is a friend to chat with then 75 is doable. Average Mileage between 20-35 with 1000’ to 1500’ climbing

Last edited by rsbob; 12-15-20 at 07:12 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-16-20, 09:04 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
So far this year

106 mi 63 commuting 8.6 hrs per week
Old 12-16-20, 03:06 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
For the last 8 years I have been averaging just over 5000 miles per year, so about 100 miles a week. Right now for 2020, close to 154 miles per week and will hit 8000 miles.
Old 12-16-20, 05:17 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Last year, 50 weeks X 5 days/week X 2 X 5 miles per week = 2,500 miles
This year, 600 miles (first 3 months) + 9 months * 20 miles/month = 780 miles.

Cant' wait for COVID to end so I start riding to work again.
Old 12-16-20, 07:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Retired, 65. The goal is 2 hrs per day, 5 days/wk. Typical avg speed is 14-15mph with a stop. Picture days may be slower. 10 hrs per/wk can increase in summer with longer rides.
Yeah, almost 5 years later, still shooting for around 9-10hrs/wk of saddle time. Not 5 days per week now.
And realistically - that time/mileage for maybe 1/2of the year.
other weeks involve Winter, crap wet weather and aging Life.
Thank goodness for other active interests.
the acre of yard work is good exercise.

Roll on!

What happened to @tsl? the commuter man, committed to his bikes and miles.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-16-20 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-16-20, 07:27 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
normally, it's 125 miles a week. this year, having been in and out of employment multiple times, it's a little more than 160 miles a week. all miles are outdoors.
Old 12-16-20, 08:26 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
What happened to @tsl? the commuter man, committed to his bikes and miles.
Still rolling. Thanks for the mention.

BF went through a period a few years back where trolls seemed to escape from FB and infest themselves here. Life's too short, IMHO.

Since you asked, I took a different position with the city to top up my pension. I'm far from a political animal, and found working at City Hall quite disheartening--how the sausage is made, etc. But it did what it was supposed to do and I retired, discovering shortly afterwards that I'm far too much of an introvert and homebody to be left to my own devices. Six months and 20 lbs. later I was back at the library, only now, as the old guy who puts away the books three afternoons a week. Perfect high-rep upper-body workout, with a surprising amount of squatting and bending. The best part is that I can feign ignorance and direct everyone to the librarian.

As for cycling, you may recall I'm a transportation cyclist, who does a little (very little) recreation/sport/training/whatever cycling. Looking forward to the first snow commute tomorrow. They're calling for 2-4" overnight with another 1-3" during the day tomorrow.

I'm now up to two studded tire bikes--my treasured Trek Portland (half cross, half tourer) and a bottom-of-the-line Giant 27.5 MTB. The MTB primarily for the lower gearing. I find higher cadence helps with balance in the snow, but the added rolling resistance of pushing through the snow, and of course the slipperiness (even with the studs), makes a slower speed. So the 24T small chainring comes in handy.

In any event, by lengthening my commutes and shopping excursions, I get in my exercise. This time of year it's only about 10 miles per workday. Other days catch as catch can. For instance, 10 miles in 21F today to the PT, then the grocery store. In the warmer months, I shoot for 25-35 miles back-and-forth to work. However, measured in time I'm only about a half of summer commuting times as opposed to a third of the miles. See "slower speed" above....

In April 2019, I Fed-Exed my Litespeed to Kona and spent two weeks cycling around the Big Island. I was scouting locations to relocate there. That plan is on hold until I see how things recover post-Corona. If it's on your bucket list, I had an excellent experience with LifeCycle Adventures. A fully custom one-person tour was only a couple of hundred more than joining a group tour (who no-doubt would have laughed at my legs, flat-lander that I am). And it still included support van and moving my luggage from inn to inn. While I didn't pay for a guide, the support van guy rode with me a couple of days. (And never laughed--only scowled--at my legs.) Given a re-do, I'd pay extra for a full-time guide next time.

I was all set to go to Japan for about a month this past spring, but, well, you know...

Meanwhile, I moved across the hall to a bigger, corner unit apartment and have busied myself with redecorating and napping in the "reading" chair.

Anything new around here?
Likes For tsl:
Old 12-16-20, 11:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Still rolling. Thanks for the mention.

BF went through a period a few years back where trolls seemed to escape from FB and infest themselves here. Life's too short, IMHO.

Since you asked, I took a different position with the city to top up my pension. I'm far from a political animal, and found working at City Hall quite disheartening--how the sausage is made, etc. But it did what it was supposed to do and I retired, discovering shortly afterwards that I'm far too much of an introvert and homebody to be left to my own devices. Six months and 20 lbs. later I was back at the library, only now, as the old guy who puts away the books three afternoons a week. Perfect high-rep upper-body workout, with a surprising amount of squatting and bending. The best part is that I can feign ignorance and direct everyone to the librarian.

As for cycling, you may recall I'm a transportation cyclist, who does a little (very little) recreation/sport/training/whatever cycling. Looking forward to the first snow commute tomorrow. They're calling for 2-4" overnight with another 1-3" during the day tomorrow.

I'm now up to two studded tire bikes--my treasured Trek Portland (half cross, half tourer) and a bottom-of-the-line Giant 27.5 MTB. The MTB primarily for the lower gearing. I find higher cadence helps with balance in the snow, but the added rolling resistance of pushing through the snow, and of course the slipperiness (even with the studs), makes a slower speed. So the 24T small chainring comes in handy.

In any event, by lengthening my commutes and shopping excursions, I get in my exercise. This time of year it's only about 10 miles per workday. Other days catch as catch can. For instance, 10 miles in 21F today to the PT, then the grocery store. In the warmer months, I shoot for 25-35 miles back-and-forth to work. However, measured in time I'm only about a half of summer commuting times as opposed to a third of the miles. See "slower speed" above....

In April 2019, I Fed-Exed my Litespeed to Kona and spent two weeks cycling around the Big Island. I was scouting locations to relocate there. That plan is on hold until I see how things recover post-Corona. If it's on your bucket list, I had an excellent experience with LifeCycle Adventures. A fully custom one-person tour was only a couple of hundred more than joining a group tour (who no-doubt would have laughed at my legs, flat-lander that I am). And it still included support van and moving my luggage from inn to inn. While I didn't pay for a guide, the support van guy rode with me a couple of days. (And never laughed--only scowled--at my legs.) Given a re-do, I'd pay extra for a full-time guide next time.

I was all set to go to Japan for about a month this past spring, but, well, you know...

Meanwhile, I moved across the hall to a bigger, corner unit apartment and have busied myself with redecorating and napping in the "reading" chair.

Anything new around here?
SOS Welcome back, even if it's a short visit.
Old 12-17-20, 07:17 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
@tsl = Glad you are doing well.
Wish I coulda worked longer, but my memory got too shorter.
Traveling is fun.
Watch out for those snow & ice days.
Old 12-17-20, 11:06 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
For some reasons this year is going great. My average on the bike is about 12-13 hours a week. Being retired helps.
Old 12-17-20, 11:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Im now 82 and my average is right around 100 miles per week, mainly on my trike on in town MUPs.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 12-17-20, 01:02 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Pre-Covid I was getting about 60-75 a week with a short commute and a weekend ride. During Covid I upped it to 150-200 a week and have kept it there by doing a 50 mile round trip commute 4 times a week.
Just rolled over 6000 miles for 2020. Biggest year yet!.
Old 12-17-20, 02:18 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
55. Working full-time (currently from home, hopefully that will continue after things return to "normal").

I spend 5 hours/week on the erg (2 × 60-minute, 2 × 90-minute), which supposedly equates to 95 miles, then go for a long ride on the weekend. I'm gradually increasing the length of my "long" ride; it's currently at 85 miles.
Old 12-17-20, 03:47 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
My average for this year should be just over 100 miles per week but it was not consistent throughout the year. Turned 64 in July. Still working full time.

Mileage is up a lot from last year's 3200 thanks to Covid. My riding is in the early morning before work and on Sundays. Before the pandemic, I was getting up about 3:45 AM to get in 15 miles and have time to get ready for the miserable 57 mile (each way) commute. Because it was so early, I did it 2-3 days a week. On Sundays I would get in 50-75 miles usually. I also normally do a few international business trips, which are usually 1-2 weeks so a number of missed riding days.

I've been mostly working from home since early March, which means I can wake up later and ride longer and still start work earlier and I do it 3-4 days a week. And my weekend rides have gotten longer. I did two centuries this year and many 80-90 mile rides. And of course no travel.

I'm as tired of Covid restrictions as anyone but it has allowed me to ride more and saved me from a lot of hours sitting in traffic. Got to look on the bright side.
Old 12-18-20, 04:44 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Depends a lot on the season. During the long days of spring, summer and fall I can ride during the week so I average around 100+ miles per week. Now that we're approaching the winter solstice and I have to work fulltime I don't get out during the week so I only do about 50-60 miles on the weekends.
Old 12-19-20, 10:56 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
From April when I stopped going to the gym until today.

102 miles/week.
9475 feet/week climbing.
Old 12-20-20, 01:57 PM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
My dream is to drive (135 km) 84 mi to the village of velikoretsky for the church bell with the bell ringer Tikhon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.