Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nagging question: is "vulcanizing fluid" just plain old rubber cement?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nagging question: is "vulcanizing fluid" just plain old rubber cement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-17, 12:46 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I don't think so. If those chemicals were in the fluid, they would react with the uncured natural rubber in the fluid and harden it. What would keep that from happening? Basically the idea is a non-starter. I'm telling you that vulcanizing fluid is just rubber cement, period.
Is this the definitive answer?
Old 10-05-17, 12:47 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Is this the definitive answer?
For now.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-05-17, 01:29 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't think there could be curstives already in the fluid. If those chemicals were in the fluid, they would react with the uncured natural rubber in the fluid and harden it. What would keep that from happening? Basically the idea is a non-starter. I'm telling you that vulcanizing fluid is just rubber cement, period.
I figured, if it really was "vulcanizing", some secret formula for the solvents and accelerator kept it from happening until the solvent evaporated. In the 60's true vulcanizing required a 2-part mixture. I don't know, except that searching for the product I cannot find anything on any "vulcanizing cement" product that convinces me that it's different from "rubber cement" so I'm inclined to believe you.
Old 10-05-17, 02:48 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts

Here's An Incredibly Sketchy Way To Fix A Flat When You Don't Have The Right Equipment
Old 10-05-17, 02:50 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
We used to use flaming patches on tractor tubes when I was a kid. Those were FUN!
Old 10-05-17, 02:53 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22595 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Hot
Old 10-05-17, 05:39 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I heard that rubber cement was made in the same factory in China in the same molds by the same people, so I vote that it’s the same.
Old 10-05-17, 10:49 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Amazon. I bought a pack of 48 patches back in 2014 for $2.39 from China that I'm still working on.

https://www.amazon.com/Joylive-Bicyc...395W5T8TT7K00E

Looks like they've gone up in price.
I saw those, but the reviews are so horrible I stayed away. Won't stick. Too stiff. Etc.

if you say they work, then i'll try them. better than $2 for 6 patches from park.
Old 10-06-17, 01:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
As a plastics/rubber chemist ...
Are you made mostly of plastic or of rubber?

I had heard Japan had come a long way with robotics,. but you had everyone here fooled.
Old 10-06-17, 01:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by nycphotography
I saw those, but the reviews are so horrible I stayed away. Won't stick. Too stiff. Etc. if you say they work, then i'll try them. better than $2 for 6 patches from park.
I bought the same patches ... and six tubes of really cheap vulcanizing fluid labeled "Rubber Cement." For the cost of one of those brand-name "Patch Kits" which will actually patch maybe six ties, I got about four years worth of product.

Results have been excellent .... but that might be because I was using a generic adhesive and a generic patch.

I just applied a patch about an hour ago and am going to pump it up now. If the tire explodes and shards of vulcanized rubber pierce my brain ... it probably won't affect the quality of what I post, so no worries.
Old 10-06-17, 05:25 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Are you made mostly of plastic or of rubber?

I had heard Japan had come a long way with robotics,. but you had everyone here fooled.
Mostly plastic. My rubber involvement was much less.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-06-17, 07:24 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by nycphotography
I saw those, but the reviews are so horrible I stayed away. Won't stick. Too stiff. Etc.

if you say they work, then i'll try them. better than $2 for 6 patches from park.
It's a different seller than the ones I bought and mine came in a roll not a sheet, but they look exactly the same. I've had no issues with them. I ran out of vulcanizing cement err... umm rubber fluid a few years ago and bought a park tool patch kit for more fluid cement and I found the Chinese stuff of better quality (probably because it gave me cancer when I used it).
Old 10-06-17, 09:19 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...has anyone added the "I'm rubber and you're glue..." thing to the thread yet ? If not, I got dibs.
Old 10-06-17, 10:19 AM
Maelochs

It's a different seller than the ones I bought and mine came in a roll not a sheet, but they look exactly the same. I've had no issues with them. I ran out of vulcanizing cement err... umm rubber fluid a few years ago and bought a park tool patch kit for more fluid cement and I found the Chinese stuff of better quality (probably because it gave me cancer when I used it).
As for the patches being stiff ... i confess I have had issues when I wasn't careful about sticking them on Really skinny tubes, where the patch diameter was significantly greater than the tube width. I found a little extra care and sometimes an extra shot of "magical amazing secret-sauce vulcanizing compound" fixed it right up.
Old 10-06-17, 10:25 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

As for the patches being stiff ... i confess I have had issues when I wasn't careful about sticking them on Really skinny tubes, where the patch diameter was significantly greater than the tube width. I found a little extra care and sometimes an extra shot of "magical amazing secret-sauce vulcanizing compound" fixed it right up.
They are stiffer than the tube material. They don't effect the performance any though in my experience.
Old 10-06-17, 02:54 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Pro tip: cut some patches in half for the skinny tubes.

Normally, the hole is near the seam in the tube anyhow, and the flat edge of the patch can nestle right up against the seam without having to sand it down.
Likes For f4rrest:
Old 10-06-17, 03:25 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...I had no idea so many people still patched tubes. I thought tubeless was the future of road biking ?

Anyway, from what I can gather at the Rema booth at the last bike show I attended, the secret trick that most people skip or just don't know about is to "stitch" the patch surface with a little wheel like thingie they make especially for that purpose, but that nobody seems to sell any more.

I have used various improvised implements over the years, based on the same principle of applying considerable pressure to lines along the entirety of the patch by rolling the tool (or if that's all you have, a metal tyre iron) in a sort of cross hatched pattern. It seems to work, but I still have failures from time to time....and I'm using Rema patches and their approved contact adhesive.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 10-06-17, 04:47 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22595 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I had no idea so many people still patched tubes. I thought tubeless was the future of road biking ?

Anyway, from what I can gather at the Rema booth at the last bike show I attended, the secret trick that most people skip or just don't know about is to "stitch" the patch surface with a little wheel like thingie they make especially for that purpose, but that nobody seems to sell any more.

I have used various improvised implements over the years, based on the same principle of applying considerable pressure to lines along the entirety of the patch by rolling the tool (or if that's all you have, a metal tyre iron) in a sort of cross hatched pattern. It seems to work, but I still have failures from time to time....and I'm using Rema patches and their approved contact adhesive.
You can buy them on EBay. Just search " Rema stitcher."
Old 10-06-17, 05:32 PM
rpenmanparker 

...I had no idea so many people still patched tubes.
Funny thing about all this is I don't. I stopped patching tubes years ago. I just undertook this study for the grins.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 10-06-17 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-06-17, 07:15 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I'm patching unsealable punctures in my tubeless tires. From the inside. So there.
Old 10-07-17, 03:40 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used glueless patches successfully on innertubes and tubeless tires. Or should I call them rubber-cement-less patchez
Old 10-07-17, 08:57 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Buy a 4 oz bottle of Elmer's Rubber Cement at a place like Target https://www.target.com/p/4oz-elmers-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds where it will cost you $1.72 for a multi-year supply for at-home patching tubes. It's the same stuff that is in the tiny tubes that dry out the first time you open them. If it begins to get too thick, just add a solvent like paint thinner or better yet, Coleman fuel if you have some.

The real bonding is done by the very sticky surface on the patch that is underneath the foil covering. If you prepare the tube by cleaning it with a solvent on a q-tip you don't have to roughen the surface with those little scrapers that come in patch kits. Works much better. There are lots of Chinese vendors who sell 1" patches for a little more than a dollar for 25. Most of the kits come from China anyway so they are the same patches. $1.06 postpaid Sport Tyre Tube 25mm Cycle Rubber Patches Bike Tire Repair Piece Tool Puncture I cut them in half or quarters for 700C tubes.
Old 10-07-17, 12:10 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Buy a 4 oz bottle of Elmer's Rubber Cement at a place like Target https://www.target.com/p/4oz-elmers-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds where it will cost you $1.72 for a multi-year supply for at-home patching tubes. It's the same stuff that is in the tiny tubes that dry out the first time you open them. If it begins to get too thick, just add a solvent like paint thinner or better yet, Coleman fuel if you have some.

The real bonding is done by the very sticky surface on the patch that is underneath the foil covering. If you prepare the tube by cleaning it with a solvent on a q-tip you don't have to roughen the surface with those little scrapers that come in patch kits. Works much better. There are lots of Chinese vendors who sell 1" patches for a little more than a dollar for 25. Most of the kits come from China anyway so they are the same patches. $1.06 postpaid Sport Tyre Tube 25mm Cycle Rubber Patches Bike Tire Repair Piece Tool Puncture I cut them in half or quarters for 700C tubes.
I agree with you but want to point out that the sticky surface on the patch is not exactly a glue. It contributes to the bond by supplying the vulcanizing chemicals to the mix. The natural rubber in the cement is what becomes the real adhesive when activated by the vulcanizing chemicals. Then it chemically attaches to both the patch and the tube effectively bonding the patch to the tube.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-07-17, 01:23 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Like bottled water, I don't feel ripped off because I'm not paying for the content of the bottle, I'm paying for the convenience of it delivered in the bottle.

I don't think twice about the price/volume of the vulcanizing fluid. It's about having it in a tiny tube to carry on the road. I don't buy high enough volume for it to matter.

But then again I'm a tubeless/glueless man now
Old 10-07-17, 01:53 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
I don't think there could be curstives already in the fluid. If those chemicals were in the fluid, they would react with the uncured natural rubber in the fluid and harden it. What would keep that from happening? Basically the idea is a non-starter. I'm telling you that vulcanizing fluid is just rubber cement, period.
Isn't the answer the lack of oxygen and this is shown by the way the tube gets rock hard fairly quickly after having been opened and the contents exposed to air?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.