Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I Said I Would Never EVER Buy An E-Bike...but

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I Said I Would Never EVER Buy An E-Bike...but

Old 07-10-21, 01:19 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
If that day ever comes to me, it'll be a Lambretta or a Vespa retro scooter. Always wanted one, but I'd got my motorbike before they became popular in the 60s.
Now, 'er indoors, despite my non-smoking habit (I never looked cool doin' it) and saving over £60k in the process, won't let me have a little Harley.
She says I'd live longer smoking . . . .
And suddenly I find the roads are vastly more dangerous than they were! Something to do with COVID, I'm told.
Old 07-10-21, 02:07 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Very cool.
Not quite as legendary, but still a very serious ex-pro, Sean Yates also now rides a Ribble e-bike and explains in the video below why:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1G6Q7nPz7Q
Back when I paid attention to racing he was one of my favorites. It was awesome to see him gaining so much time on the downhills. I wonder if he bombs downhills on that ebike...
Likes For Marylander:
Old 07-10-21, 02:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
If that day ever comes to me, it'll be a Lambretta or a Vespa retro scooter. Always wanted one, but I'd got my motorbike before they became popular in the 60s.
The Honda SuperCub would also be a cool alternative to an ebike. Not as cool as a Vespa but much cheaper. Actually cheaper than many ebikes.
Old 07-10-21, 11:27 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Whew, a little expensive. But, it does look like it is nicely made, and has endured two kids, and perhaps can be passed to some more kids in the future.

I will be curious whether the kids evolve to 100% pedal powered as they get into their later teens and twenties. But, if both parents pedal, that will make a difference.

Do you do any flatter road riding? Commuting?
Google: Trek Domane+ LT9, and tell me if only 75+ year olds ride a bike like that. Why does being 20 mean you have to ride 100% powered? The hair shirt mentality around cycling has got to end. E- power does NOT mean you aren't working. It means that for the same work you can go faster, further or perhaps, both! And, sometimes that is important. I see nothing wrong with riding with e-assist all of one's life! It's progress, Cliff. One day the motors will be built in. Perfectly healthy people will have implanted motors in their joints to make them stronger, not just when they are old, all the time. Strength and it's benefits are useful at any age and will be. You'll (your great-great-grandkids) be able to knock off a Century ride in 2 hours. Not because your bike is e-assist but because YOU (they) are!

Last edited by Leisesturm; 07-10-21 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-10-21, 11:30 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The Honda SuperCub would also be a cool alternative to an ebike. Not as cool as a Vespa but much cheaper. Actually cheaper than many ebikes.
Can you also pedal a Honda SuperCub?
Old 07-11-21, 06:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Can you also pedal a Honda SuperCub?
No more than you'll pedal a 40 pound ebike. That's why you have a motor!
Old 07-11-21, 07:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8187 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Google: Trek Domane+ LT9, and tell me if only 75+ year olds ride a bike like that. Why does being 20 mean you have to ride 100% powered? The hair shirt mentality around cycling has got to end. E- power does NOT mean you aren't working. It means that for the same work you can go faster, further or perhaps, both! And, sometimes that is important. I see nothing wrong with riding with e-assist all of one's life! It's progress, Cliff. One day the motors will be built in. Perfectly healthy people will have implanted motors in their joints to make them stronger, not just when they are old, all the time. Strength and it's benefits are useful at any age and will be. You'll (your great-great-grandkids) be able to knock off a Century ride in 2 hours. Not because your bike is e-assist but because YOU (they) are!
Who is a $12.5K bicycle for? Maybe a 75 year old with a fat pension. Most people I know don't spend that much on a bike, e or otherwise.

You (or anyone) can ride an e-bike all you want, it's just not the same thing as a bicycle. I'm not against them and maybe someday I will consider one. Some of my friends already have them. But it's not the same thing as being 100% human powered.

AS for the rest of your post, you've watched too many episodes of The Bionic Man. A century in 2 hours? 50 mph average? Tough to average 50 mph on a motorcycle in some areas. If you need to average 50 mph you should wear full moto gear and have a motorcycle under you.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-11-21, 12:15 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
From the OP:

Although I've expressed how much the e-bike has added to my wife's enjoyment of biking and her ability to ride with me, I can still see where reckless, inexperienced e-bike riders are ruining the bike paths in my area. E-bikes are very quickly starting to outnumber traditional bikes, and they are now being ridden by teenagers who are gunning them down the paths as if they are riding motorcycles. The ones with the fat tires are the worst offenders. Watching the chaos created by these bikes out on our favorite bikeway today reminds me that this "revolution" is not ALL for the better.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 07-11-21 at 06:36 PM.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 07-11-21, 01:22 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
The MUPS by the beaches in SoCal are loaded with e-bikes.
I tend to ride in the hills and rarely see e-bikes.
Old 07-16-21, 07:52 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts

Easy fix for traveling...
Likes For eatontkd:
Old 07-17-21, 07:12 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
From the OP: We went out again this weekend. She's a little more comfortable with the bike now, so she's not just blasting off and leaving me in the dust every two seconds. I did notice, though, that, of the hundred-or-so people on the bikeway, a much older man and I were pretty much the only two cyclists riding without a motor.
Papa Tom, why don't you just admit that you are now damaged goods and get on with it. Once you do, you will feel pretty stupid for not doing it sooner and clinging to your old thoughts about bicycles being primarily exercise machines.
It does not take long for the e bike to change the way you view bicycling. You go from "I need my exercise today" to a credit card tour of the Erie Canal. bike path. Along the Erie Canal ,the towns are about 5 miles apart. About the length of time for a horse pulling a canal boat to need a rest and nourishment.. You go from sweating to enjoying the air and sounds. You eat sweet potato fries with honey outdoors while sitting canal side. You carry little more than a tooth brush , a change of cloths, a charger and sleep in canal side bed and breakfasts.. Water bottle is optional. as you don't sweat and there is plenty of water stops along the way. You stop and take in the history sites along the way.. In the end, you never sat on the couch, watched the depressing news or mowed the lawn. At the end of the day you are happy, closer together and not whipped. You live longer because you are happier.
Bicycling is NOT about exercise. Exercise is just a bonus, e bike or not.
Your perspectives change drastically. with an e bike. I will never look back. How drastically did my perspectives change.
A coast to coast e bike ride is in my future. I went from weight weenie high pressure tires to this comfortable heavy long distance rig. My longest day so far has been 144.5 miles.

Not exactly what you would expect for traveling long distance at greater than 100 miles per day.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 07-17-21, 07:13 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8187 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
Originally Posted by eatontkd

That thing would be great in a cross wind. Geez, at that point just get a motorcycle. Or even use (gasp) human power.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-17-21, 07:21 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

From the OP:

Although I've expressed how much the e-bike has added to my wife's enjoyment of biking and her ability to ride with me, I can still see where reckless, inexperienced e-bike riders are ruining the bike paths in my area. E-bikes are very quickly starting to outnumber traditional bikes, and they are now being ridden by teenagers who are gunning them down the paths as if they are riding motorcycles. The ones with the fat tires are the worst offenders. Watching the chaos created by these bikes out on our favorite bikeway today reminds me that this "revolution" is not ALL for the better.
I have not seen the teenager problem at all but, I bike with a bunch of Gerry's after rush hour weekdays. Average age of our three rides a week group is about 76
What I noticed about my own riding is that I tend to obey traffic laws much better as there is not problem getting going again. I slow down more for kids and dogs because there is little penalty for getting started again. I have finally learned to track stand as the fat e bike is easier to stabilize. Slowing drastically and waiting to pass is fun because I get to feel that acceleration again. What is not to like.

Last edited by KPREN; 07-17-21 at 07:27 AM.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 07-17-21, 07:26 AM
KPREN

Originally Posted by eatontkd

Solar on a bike is largely worthless as it takes too much time to charge and compromises handling. Much better to run a big battery and have very fast charging. I have a 15 amp 900 watt charger that is much easier and a lot less bulky. On a lunch stop, I can put 40 miles in the tank.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 07-17-21, 07:06 PM
freddy12

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am 61 and tried an ebike for the first time and loved it. My wife and I will be renting them on a trip for a more extended trial. I can definitely see them in our future.
Likes For freddy12:
Old 07-18-21, 09:14 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I am 58 and still a very enthusiastic rider. My wife is a little older, grew up in the city (without a bike), and never really had the passion to build up the muscles needed to bicycle into old age. But I still love to ride with her and she really enjoys easy, short, flat rides in the fresh air. However, her ability to tackle even minor hills has significantly deteriorated in recent years.

When someone suggested we her get her an e-bike, I immediately got up on my high-horse, ripped this person a new butthole, and declared that I would never even CONSIDER such blasphemy. After all, bicycling means applying absolutely nothing but one's personal energy to propel a two-wheeled vehicle forward. Anything else is called MOTORcycling.

Tonight, I broke down and bought her an Aventon Pace 350, one of the most basic e-bikes on the market. I don't want to get into a debate about whether e-bikes have any right to exist, but for the sake of anyone on this group who might be sensing their riding days coming to an end, I want to suggest that, with one of these pedal-assist bicycles, you can count on being able to ride until the day you drop dead.

Until today, I wouldn't even LOOK at anything but a "real" bicycle; but when I hopped on this baby, turned the pedals half-a-revolution, and felt the motor take over, I decided right then and there that I will never again worry about growing too old to enjoy my long day rides and overnight trips. Even the type of hill that would render a route completely off-limits for her feels like nothing at all on this bike - and that's with only the minimal level of pedal-assist. Soon, SHE will be waiting for ME at the top of each climb!

For now, having one e-bike in the family means I can take my wife along to explore the places I used to just come home and talk about. But in the far-off future, having a second one for myself is going to make growing old much more palatable. So have no fear, my old folk comrades! The e-bike is your friend!
Actually the argument over e-bikes is just about over. People on e-bikes have won. Out on the trails I see an ever increasing number of e-bikes.

Last edited by rydabent; 07-18-21 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-18-21, 02:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by KPREN
Papa Tom, why don't you just admit that you are now damaged goods and get on with it. Once you do, you will feel pretty stupid for not doing it sooner and clinging to your old thoughts about bicycles being primarily exercise machines.
It does not take long for the e bike to change the way you view bicycling. You go from "I need my exercise today" to a credit card tour of the Erie Canal. bike path. Along the Erie Canal ,the towns are about 5 miles apart. About the length of time for a horse pulling a canal boat to need a rest and nourishment.. You go from sweating to enjoying the air and sounds. You eat sweet potato fries with honey outdoors while sitting canal side. You carry little more than a tooth brush , a change of cloths, a charger and sleep in canal side bed and breakfasts.. Water bottle is optional. as you don't sweat and there is plenty of water stops along the way. You stop and take in the history sites along the way.. In the end, you never sat on the couch, watched the depressing news or mowed the lawn. At the end of the day you are happy, closer together and not whipped. You live longer because you are happier.
Bicycling is NOT about exercise. Exercise is just a bonus, e bike or not.
Your perspectives change drastically. with an e bike. I will never look back. How drastically did my perspectives change.
A coast to coast e bike ride is in my future. I went from weight weenie high pressure tires to this comfortable heavy long distance rig. My longest day so far has been 144.5 miles.

Not exactly what you would expect for traveling long distance at greater than 100 miles per day.
This is a refreshingly honest view of ebikes. A fun motorized contrivance that allows you to go places and do things you couldn't using only your own abilities. No whining such as "I still have to pedal...." or "I can work just as hard...." Embrace the motor!
Old 07-20-21, 02:06 AM
PrettyCurious

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4300, 2021 GoExpress

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
I'm 60 and I still work 50 hrs a week.
I never gave ebikes a thought until I saw an ad for one. I had planned on getting my bike out this summer. 16 years ago, I married a non rider. He golfs. we moved here 8 years ago, hung up my Trek, and never took it out again. I had some serious health issues the last two years, and last summer I thought I was over all that, then I injured my leg. It took too many doctor visits and finally getting referred to an ortho doc last fall who told me it was my IT band. I have to stretch it every day, and it still bothers me, but it's better than it was, and at least I can sleep.
I decided to sell my motorcycle because I just don't' like riding with cars, and it's too big to ride where I do like to go: trails and dirt roads.
So what sold me on the ebike was:
1 I could ride it immediately, instead of having to work to get in shape to enjoy riding again.
2 I could ride farther. I have to ride 2 miles of paved roads before I get to the the road roads. I love riding on the dirt roads. I pass houses, farms, horse, cows, you name it. Most of my rides are 10+ miles - 20+ miles on the weekends, since I still work.
3 I don't have to worry if my left hip/leg, or right knee will flare up in protest, and I would have to limp home. (this model even has a walking mode)
4 Did I mention I am riding by myself? If a dog starts to chase me, I can hit the throttle and out run him. LOL ( I do carry protection)
5 This bike folds up. I can put it in the car and take it places.
6 This bike can be ridden without the motor, which is what I wanted because in actually, I don't use it much. I use it uphills, on the way back when there is a head-wind, ect. I set the pedal assist on 3 (there are 9 levels), and it doesn't kick in until I start going up a hill.

Since I just ride for pleasure, I avg about 12 miles an hour on my own power. I like it that way. lolly gagging down a dirt road . . . .
Likes For PrettyCurious:
Old 07-20-21, 04:37 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
I'm 60 and I still work 50 hrs a week.
I never gave ebikes a thought until I saw an ad for one. . . . .
Great post, PC. I recommend that others go back and read this one.
Old 07-20-21, 08:16 AM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
When I first returned to riding I gave e-bikes a serious look, mostly because I have a tendency to get in over my head, such as riding or hiking a long way out and having difficulty getting back. Fortunately I seem to have gotten better at that. But I went with a standard bike, have ridden it a great deal, and really enjoy it. But I use it for recreation and exercise, not commuting and errands.

I live in a rural community 12 miles away from the town where I buy groceries and do other errands. I'm increasingly conscious of using my car for that and keep thinking an e-bike would be a nice solution, especially if trying to get home before frozen produce melts. The major issue, however, is I don't know of a route that doesn't involve a state highway, which makes it risky (many here have bike-hostile attitudes as well). So no e-bike for me just yet, but if a safer infrastructure ever exists (either here or someplace I move to) I may get one.

For a general tidbit, the shop where I bought my bike said e-bikes are especially in demand, even more than their regular bikes. It's in a medium sized city (Akron) near a very popular multi-use path. When I bought my bike, just as the pandemic was starting, another customer was getting an e-bike so he could avoid taking busses and didn't want the expense of a car.
Old 07-20-21, 08:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
When I first returned to riding I gave e-bikes a serious look, mostly because I have a tendency to get in over my head, such as riding or hiking a long way out and having difficulty getting back. Fortunately I seem to have gotten better at that. But I went with a standard bike, have ridden it a great deal, and really enjoy it. But I use it for recreation and exercise, not commuting and errands.

I live in a rural community 12 miles away from the town where I buy groceries and do other errands. I'm increasingly conscious of using my car for that and keep thinking an e-bike would be a nice solution, especially if trying to get home before frozen produce melts. The major issue, however, is I don't know of a route that doesn't involve a state highway, which makes it risky (many here have bike-hostile attitudes as well). So no e-bike for me just yet, but if a safer infrastructure ever exists (either here or someplace I move to) I may get one.

For a general tidbit, the shop where I bought my bike said e-bikes are especially in demand, even more than their regular bikes. It's in a medium sized city (Akron) near a very popular multi-use path. When I bought my bike, just as the pandemic was starting, another customer was getting an e-bike so he could avoid taking busses and didn't want the expense of a car.
Great point about commuting/errands. My wife works in a small town about 5 miles up the road, which is quite hilly. It can be ridden easily enough on a normal bike, but can get a bit sweaty with the climbs, which is not what you want when arriving at work. An e-bike would be a great option in that situation. Faster and less sweaty than normal cycling and far more environmentally friendly than using the car.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-20-21, 09:01 AM
KPREN

Originally Posted by Sertsa

Let me know when you want to try it. I live in Wadsworth.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 07-20-21, 10:11 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Not for me. The one aspect of the "revolution" I can 100% support is the ability to commute/shop/whatever without getting hopelessly sweaty. The savings in energy, resources, emissions and just getting a car off the road are an absolutely resounding plus in my view.

But.......flame suit on.....it ain't cycling. Not really. And I can't help but be kind of turned off by the seeming enthusiasm for some in "embracing" physical limitations and infirmities. Not having to work to get into shape? Really? "Embrace the motor"? I'll embrace the motor with the same enthusiasm that someday I might have to embrace using a walker. Hold on, just getting the last button secured on that flame suit.

But.....then again.....aging is a reality. Yesterday I went (trigger warning, literally) to a place where one might go to improve ones marksmanship skills. And noticed again that 61 year old eyes don't readily focus on sights and target at the same time. I might have to make a few modifications. Are aperture sights/optics the e-bikes of THAT world? Maybe so........

And let's not forget that bikes themselves are a labor saving device. For any distance, they beat the heck out of walking.

And, hypocritical me, I'm already known to occasionally lean on a cane..........

Two geezers with canes last August. I'm on the left. About 11,000 feet.
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 07-20-21, 10:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
And I can't help but be kind of turned off by the seeming enthusiasm for some in "embracing" physical limitations and infirmities. Not having to work to get into shape? Really?
It might not be something to look forward to. But I would much rather ride an e-bike than no bike at all. For some that's what it really comes down to. I saw some old guy pushing his bike up one of our local hills a few days ago. I would have thought an e-bike would have been more fun and closer to cycling than walking with a bike.
Old 07-20-21, 11:10 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Not for me. The one aspect of the "revolution" I can 100% support is the ability to commute/shop/whatever without getting hopelessly sweaty. The savings in energy, resources, emissions and just getting a car off the road are an absolutely resounding plus in my view....
Commuting is the only use-case that makes any sense to me too, but I don't really have a problem if people like riding e-bikes as long as they're not jerks about it.

I was on a fairly remote bike path in Wisconsin a few weeks ago with a mechanic friend of mine on a 400k, and we passed a couple on the side of the path with a flat tire on one of those 20" fat-tire step-through electric bikes. We would normally stop to help someone with a mechanical but blew right by because we were on the clock and pretty sure it wouldn't be a quick fix. Hope they made it home ok.
Likes For kingston:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.