Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Big guy who needs a bike

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-30-22, 08:21 PM
pottjar34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looking to rejoin the world of cycling. I’m 49-years-old, have a bad knee, am 6’6” tall and weigh roughly 380lbs! Yup! A big guy. Planning to work hard at bringing weight down.

Currently have a XXL framed bike, but two years ago when I went on it, both tires exploded before I got even an 1/8th of a mile. A bit scary. Trying to avoid such a predicament again.

Looking for a bike for paved trails that can accommodatemy current size.

I haven’t been able to find many options with exception of a recumbent bike called: GREENSPEED MAGNUM XL. It’s rated for my size and within my budget (under 4k).

Just wondering if anyone has any other recommendations. I was told that an upright bike is a better workout, so leaning more towards that if possible.

Appreciate any advice!

Thank you
Old 07-01-22, 05:38 AM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Lots of good options. Check out Zinn Cycles. Leonard Zinn himself is a tall cyclist and he specializes in bikes for big folks like us (I am 6'8", 220 lbs but was up to 300). Am looking at one of his Clydesdale road bikes myself; currently ride a Surly Disc Trucker and like it.
Likes For 400E:
Old 07-01-22, 03:09 PM
55tele

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Creo E-Bike XXL with Custom Wheels, 1992 Serotta Colorado II with Dura Ace STI, 2021 Zinn Ti Clydesdale Team XXL with Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Second the recommendation to check out Zinn...I have a Ti road / endurance bike from their Clydesdale line.....but pucker up...I spent almost 7 grand on mine before I was done.....
Likes For 55tele:
Old 07-01-22, 05:04 PM
pottjar34

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for that suggestion…umm…7k…😳..thats not in the cards for now…
Old 07-01-22, 11:15 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Look at Gunnar Bikes, I looked at the gravel bikes and they have bikes in the size of 68cm. I'm 6'-2" and ride a bike around 58-60cm.
Giant gravel bikes sizing indicates an XL would fit a height of 6'-2" to 6'-7". Your weight may be the limiting factor.
I look at the gravel bikes because they have the capacity of wider tires and that would work better for your weight.
With the Gunnar, they are more of a frame and add the parts so you can get some 36 spoke wheels, which would work better for your weight.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 07-02-22, 12:18 PM
pottjar34

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Could I use my existing bike? Changing the rims and tires to absorb my weight.
Old 07-02-22, 12:19 PM
pottjar34

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Could I use my existing bike? Changing the rims and tires to absorb my weight.
Old 07-02-22, 08:49 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Sure, I think that would be fine, I would just put the widest tires on the bike that will fit and try that.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 07-04-22, 10:52 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
If the frame and seating position of your current bike are comfortable, I would absolutely consider just getting a sturdy wheelset built. There are Clyde wheel options out there. Look for something with a higher spoke count.

I have a Velocity Cliffhanger on the back of my Kona Sutra and, though only 'officially' rated to 300lb, I have put my fat ass + loaded Ortlieb panniers out back and thrown on over a thousand miles.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 07-13-22, 11:34 AM
LethargicRush

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
When I got back into cycling a while ago I looked at Worksman. They mostly make bikes for industrial application, food carts, warhouses, so i at least know they make stuff sturdy enough and most there bikes, even there 2 wheelers have a capacity of about 400 lbs or so.
Likes For LethargicRush:
Old 07-15-22, 09:25 AM
streetstomper

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Just FYI, Diamondback specs their frames with a 300-pound weight limit, and Giant's the same. Frequently Asked Questions | Diamondback Bikes

What is the maximum rider weight for your bikes?

Our bike frames are tested to carry up to 300 lbs of rider weight which includes your body weight plus any additional weight like a pack.
If a Zinn is out of your price range, you can try one of the reputable Chinese framebuilders, either Waltly, Titan Cycles or XACD. Any of them can build a superstrong frame for someone your weight. Titan has the shortest production time right now, at about five weeks. Their production MTB frames start at only $800 plus shipping and they could build with larger diameter, thicker-walled tubes at not much additional cost, if any. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gro...260248593.html

At your weight, you should probably stay with 26" wheels. Smaller wheels are generally stronger. But get someone to tension and true the wheels, as machine-built wheels are notoriously weak.
Likes For streetstomper: