Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any other Burley Travoy style trailers out there? Or homemade ideas?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Any other Burley Travoy style trailers out there? Or homemade ideas?

Old 02-10-22, 10:08 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by zorkist
This is my homemade "Burley Travoy style" made from an external frame backpack and a heavier duty one made from raw components.
This looks cool. What type of "hitch" do you use so that it can swivel?
Old 02-10-22, 07:51 PM
zorkist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
This looks cool. What type of "hitch" do you use so that it can swivel?
This is my earliest "design".

These are the current status:

Last edited by zorkist; 02-10-22 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-11-22, 09:59 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
This is my earliest "design".

These are the current status:

Cool. Thanks
Likes For Harhir:
Old 02-12-22, 12:59 AM
zorkist

Backpack mode:

Likes For zorkist:
Old 02-26-22, 09:28 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
This is my homemade "Burley Travoy style" made from an external frame backpack and a heavier duty one made from raw components.
That is a BIG jug of water! I assume you just had it on there for load/road testing? Or were you hauling water for camp on a trip?

In any event, most excellent work! Thank you for posting. I really appreciate these home made "contraptions". There are a few of us out here that have some outside-the-box thinking abilities and it is really intriguing to see that in others and what others come up with. I especially like the heim joint hitch plate sewn/lashed on to the pack/trailer frame with 550 cord. Just awesome!

I would be curious how the hitch on the rack works, stability/handling-wise. Was there a reason for using that location as opposed to the axle or seat post? How does the rack handle the loads/forces of the trailer back there?
Old 03-01-22, 01:20 AM
zorkist

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
That is a BIG jug of water! I assume you just had it on there for load/road testing? Or were you hauling water for camp on a trip?

In any event, most excellent work! Thank you for posting. I really appreciate these home made "contraptions". There are a few of us out here that have some outside-the-box thinking abilities and it is really intriguing to see that in others and what others come up with. I especially like the heim joint hitch plate sewn/lashed on to the pack/trailer frame with 550 cord. Just awesome!

I would be curious how the hitch on the rack works, stability/handling-wise. Was there a reason for using that location as opposed to the axle or seat post? How does the rack handle the loads/forces of the trailer back there?
Thank you for your reply!

In my place there are many "raw water fans". I joined them to harvest spring water from the mountain as a regular exercise, although I don't think the water itself make any special benefit. Recently I haul 30 liters once a week.

When I started this DIY project the first hitch solution came into my mind was a seatpost mount too. At that time I had only a "quick release seatpost rack" on hand to start with, but it doesn't fit with the 33.9mm seatposts of my small folders. So I changed to the rack mount idea which also proved to be practical. I didn't use an axle mount mainly because of the consideration of overall length since I live in a pretty crowded city. It would be especially awkward for me when I have to stop in the middle of a zebra crossing with a long trailer.

I will try to shoot a video to show how the hitch works and do a measure of static vertical pressing force towards the rack as you mentioned when next time I go to haul water.

Thank you again for your response!

Last edited by zorkist; 03-01-22 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-01-22, 07:51 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Thank you for your reply!

In my place there are many "raw water fans". I joined them to harvest spring water from the mountain as a regular exercise, although I don't think the water itself make any special benefit. Recently I haul 30 liters once a week.
I didn't use an axle mount mainly because of the consideration of overall length since I live in a pretty crowded city. It would be especially awkward for me when I have to stop in the middle of a zebra crossing with a long trailer.
Interesting info. That makes sense now.

Just to contrast - a lot of my riding is in the country here in the US so "space" isn't really an issue. We do have multi-use paths (MUP's) - the paved paths through towns (mostly walkers but they are bike routes also so there are a fair amount of bikes too). They can get congested at busy times. I don't generally ride them during busy times, and on my longer routes I don't go through the "populated" areas of them - I just pass through. Though, one route I shaved off about 3 miles of road riding by weaving through the MUP's and several parks once I found how to get the trails to all connect.

There is another thread in here on the details of my trailer ideas - but this is what I use right now. Sometimes I use 1 tub, sometimes 2, depending on what I'm up to. I am going to take the set up on my next tour. I haven't "toured" with the set up yet, just going to the next big town over where a friend lives for a couple days at a time.

As for water - I have a 7 gallon jug that I use when traveling (vehicle) and camping at times. I did use it for load testing the trailer when I did my first run to my friends. That was my "torture test" ride - I think I had over 200lbs of gear with that and the trailer just to stress everything hard to see what the limitations were. That is when I designed and built my metal 3 axis hitch - the OEM rubber rod/spring hitch stretched and flexed too much (the trailer would "surge" with the stretching and that made handling awkward - the metal hitch takes out about 75% of it - the rest of it is the weight when its heavy).

We have a store in the US called Dollar General. On tour I like to stop at those. It seems every small town in the US has one. They have gallon water jugs that I like. They are thicker plastic than the ones from the grocery store and have a handle on top. That makes them durable and able to be hung from the bike racks in weird places pretty easy. I think I have 3 of them right now. I don't like to get "off the trail" on my tours - mostly a gear safety thing - I don't like leaving my stuff unattended when I need to duck in to a store or what ever. So the less I can stop the better. If I can go 4-5 days without a store run that is good. Having food and water along makes that possible.

Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 03-05-22, 08:47 AM
zorkist

I uploaded a video of hauling 30 liters of water down the mountain road.

And when hauling 30 liters of water with a hitch position of 70cm above the ground (in case of my Dahon 26" folder), the static vertical pressing force towards the rack is around 12.4 kgf as I tested.

Last edited by zorkist; 03-05-22 at 09:01 AM.
Likes For zorkist: