Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Protips for a new track racer

Old 11-05-19, 10:42 PM
Nelli_Vigorelli

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Córdoba (FXD) / 2018 Specialized Enduro (MTB) / 2019 Cinelli Vigorelli Shark (FXD)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is Awesome!! Even if I`m not racing ( or in the condition to race anytime soon lol) this was good info!
Old 05-15-20, 07:32 AM
johncroom
John Croom

Bikes: TONS

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! This is good!
Old 05-18-21, 12:27 PM
m@tty

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Little modification to a chain whip with a neodymium magnet.

Old 05-18-21, 07:41 PM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by m@tty
Little modification to a chain whip with a neodymium magnet.

Best cog wrench ever, Runwell, chain whip obsolesce! https://velo-orange.com/collections/...cts/cog-wrench

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-18-21 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-05-21, 04:34 PM
brian44

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 30 Posts
This sticky has been an incredible help for this aspiring road-to-track racer.
Likes For brian44:
Old 09-27-21, 11:55 AM
BennyBikes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great tips, thanks so much to all contributors!
Old 01-15-22, 02:14 PM
sebasbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Currently i just started and i am running a 47~16 gear ratio. Should i get a 15t cog or get a 48 chqinring first ?
Old 01-15-22, 07:53 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Get cogs first. They’re cheaper and the steps in gearing are a more meaningful change. A single tooth on a chainring is a difference of only a few rpm at speed and generally you can get multiple cogs for the price of a single chainring.

Don't be afraid to go big either. Unless you’re a genetically gifted spinner, you can literally waste years of development chasing your tail with
earning how to spin at high ~160+rpm
Old 01-15-22, 08:17 PM
sebasbike

Originally Posted by brawlo
Get cogs first. They’re cheaper and the steps in gearing are a more meaningful change. A single tooth on a chainring is a difference of only a few rpm at speed and generally you can get multiple cogs for the price of a single chainring.

Don't be afraid to go big either. Unless you’re a genetically gifted spinner, you can literally waste years of development chasing your tail with
earning how to spin at high ~160+rpm

Thanks for the response. I am doing this by myself becauae there is an outdoor velodrome near my house.
​​​usually its empty and i just bike for an hour increasing my effort every 15 mins.
i got some good info from tejano on the forum and am moving to london next week were i can partake in velodrome clasea.
I dont even know how to measure rpm on a bike lol.
Old 01-18-22, 07:16 AM
m@tty

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sebasbike
Thanks for all the info. Currently i just started and i am running a 47~16 gear ratio. Should i get a 15t cog or get a 48 chqinring first ?
if from your other post you are moving to London and going to be using the track there you will want an 84’ gear so buy either a 15 tooth for 47x15 a 50t chainring for 50x16.
Likes For m@tty:
Old 01-18-22, 08:04 AM
sebasbike

Originally Posted by m@tty
if from your other post you are moving to London and going to be using the track there you will want an 84’ gear so buy either a 15 tooth for 47x15 a 50t chainring for 50x16.
thanks!!! will order one as soon as i get there!
Old 04-09-22, 02:00 AM
Bisexcycle

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Attack

Unless your already race fit and skilled can contend for podium

If the pack ever slows down enough for you to get in front go for it. Don't blow up or try to breakaway but take advantage of the fact that you don't have to chase down someone else's effort. Naturally the pack will pass by and you can slot in.
Old 04-18-22, 01:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Bisexcycle
Unless your already race fit and skilled can contend for podium

If the pack ever slows down enough for you to get in front go for it. Don't blow up or try to breakaway but take advantage of the fact that you don't have to chase down someone else's effort. Naturally the pack will pass by and you can slot in.
I would argue that anyone not strong enough to fight for the win shouldn't be the tip of the spear working harder than everyone else in the race. Maybe sit in and possibly get shuffled back, but you won't expend extra energy at the front of the paceline.
Old 05-07-23, 03:51 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 217 Posts
Hi all, I've been lurking here for a while and while I still haven't raced, I did attend the "try the track" clinic at Northeast Velodrome today and had a blast. More here, and sorry for the left side shot of my bike. Sugino road cranks and ring.

Racing today was an Omnium format which felt a little overwhelming as a first experience for me. I'm nearly 56 and have no racing experience at all. In the event, the other three newbies did compete and were able to do their own thing as it's a big track and the B level field got long and thin quickly. The youngest noob actually won a race by probably a quarter lap.

Hoping to be back for sprint night on Thursday, job permitting. Anyway, thanks, this thread has been invaluable for putting the bike together over the winter. The frame is from a 2005 Van Dessel triathlon/TT bike that for some reason has track ends, built up with mostly vintage parts from ads here, Craigslist, Facebook, ebay... Pinched pennies everywhere I could but still came to almost $600 with all the shipping. Fun though. One of the grizzled NEV regulars on a Tiemeyer pronounced it cool, that felt pretty good.
Old 08-26-23, 11:47 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove
Hi all, I've been lurking here for a while and while I still haven't raced, I did attend the "try the track" clinic at Northeast Velodrome today and had a blast. More here, and sorry for the left side shot of my bike. Sugino road cranks and ring.

Racing today was an Omnium format which felt a little overwhelming as a first experience for me. I'm nearly 56 and have no racing experience at all. In the event, the other three newbies did compete and were able to do their own thing as it's a big track and the B level field got long and thin quickly. The youngest noob actually won a race by probably a quarter lap.

Hoping to be back for sprint night on Thursday, job permitting. Anyway, thanks, this thread has been invaluable for putting the bike together over the winter. The frame is from a 2005 Van Dessel triathlon/TT bike that for some reason has track ends, built up with mostly vintage parts from ads here, Craigslist, Facebook, ebay... Pinched pennies everywhere I could but still came to almost $600 with all the shipping. Fun though. One of the grizzled NEV regulars on a Tiemeyer pronounced it cool, that felt pretty good.
Hopefully you see this. It's Aki from the track. Nice to see you were here. As you can see I was on here a lot before.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing: