Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker 100 Challenge #8

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker 100 Challenge #8

Old 05-17-22, 08:46 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I got a good 12 miles in yesterday. I did much of my reagular route, a ride to and through Discovery Park. To start the ride I was clocked at 20 miles an hour on the radar, slinked along train tracks and rode a steady incline to the North entrance.

Up a nice lower mid gear hill, a sharp downhill, over to The Daybreak Star and through the woods. Coming past the Indian Center is another incline. Next is the really sharp downhill to the Lighthouse.
That's Puget Sound on the other side of the trees.

Can barely see the bike by the door.
Next was back up the bluff.

The rest of the ride was along the very scenic Magnolia Bluff, no pictures of that, I like to speed back home along at that part.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-17-22, 09:44 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Great weather today. Nearly hit two chickens. I've never seen any on that road before.

Todays ride: 10 miles, 700 ft
Total: 75 miles, 4030 ft

Old 05-17-22, 11:10 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
Having won the prestigious "nicest takara from the least nicest takara award" in the previous edition of this challenge, I felt like I needed to do something special to up my game this time around. So, as you may have seen in my "A Visit to the Atelier" thread, I did this while the frame was sitting with bare metal. (And when I say "I did this" I mean it like Stacey King remembering the night that he and Michael Jordan combined to score 70 points. That is, @gugie did most of the skilled work to show me how it's done, I sloppily melted some silver in the vicinity of the bosses on one tube while overheating everything, and then he fixed it.)

And after a bit of sanding, it doesn't look so bad.

No money changed hands to make that happen, but I will be putting the value of the bosses and brazing material into my budget at a total of $5, which brings me to $65.

My other update, while I wait for suitable weather to paint the frame, is that during the Saturday night pizza spectacular at Eroica California I picked up a front derailleur from the box of goodies that @Kilroy1988 so generously shared.

With the replacement derailleur now in hand (but carefully in hand, because the lower front edge of the cage is razor sharp!), I think I've got $35 left for paint and cables. I may even be able to splurge on some decals.
Old 05-17-22, 02:05 PM
DonkeyShow

Had an older gentleman call my bike old and crappy today. =D Nice to meet you too Mr blue Cannondale with aero bars on Schaeffer rd.
Old 05-17-22, 02:48 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Had an older gentleman call my bike old and crappy today. =D Nice to meet you too Mr blue Cannondale with aero bars on Schaeffer rd.
I had a younger gentleman call me old and crappy today.
I had no retort.
Old 05-17-22, 02:54 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I had a younger gentleman call me old and crappy today.
I had no retort.
Haha.

For real though, I had a student who told another teacher I was like his favorite late grandpa last week. That was a first for me...deviating from father figure to grandpa figure.
Old 05-17-22, 03:37 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
I feel like the aero bars are the relevant bit of information here. Was it a carbon Cannondale?
Old 05-17-22, 03:40 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I feel like the aero bars are the relevant bit of information here. Was it a carbon Cannondale?
He needed the aero positioning so the insults would flow in the slipstream...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-17-22, 04:04 PM
DonkeyShow

probably not as he also griped about getting passed in the hills by carbon bikes.
Old 05-18-22, 08:19 AM
DonkeyShow

+5.5 miles 400 ft

trying to finish up before vacation on sunday
Old 05-18-22, 08:43 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
My enthusiasm for the Clunker 100 challenge continues to increase, so I was "In Again" this year, but so far unable to find a worthy entry. Been back in Oregon 2 weeks and the cold, wet Spring has impacted my annual yard cleanup plus greatly reducied daily riding opportunity. There have been few local yard sales. I haven't found any good Clunker candidates on our local Cl either. Yesterday was sunny for a change, so after a long day of yardwork, I went for a ride on my Raleigh Super Course, musing on what to do. Zooming down a hill, leaning into a curve at the bottom, I was again impressed with the ride and feel of this old Clunker. A veteran of the 2017 Clunker challenge, it's been a reliable ride for 5 years now. Why can't I find something like this again?? Actually that's my perfect solution: The "5th Anniversary Clunker Tour"

So that's my ride this year! Pics of my Super Course build are on pages 5 and 7 of the Clunker Challenge 100 #3 link on page 1 of this year's thread. That build came in at $59.75. Post challenge improvements:
1. Used saddle from NW Hub $5. 2. Pair of replacement tires, depreciated value $20. 3. Used fender set from NW Hub, $8. 4. Reynolds 531 replacement sticker for the disintegrated original, $7. 5. Sharpie blackout of "Motobecane" on crank arm to produce a Faux T.A. look, $00. Total for the 2022 challenge $99.75, leaving me an $8.25 Clunker Repair Budget. Don

5th Anniversary Clunker from 2017 Challenge

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 05-18-22 at 09:20 AM. Reason: add pic
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 05-18-22, 09:41 AM
Mr. 66

The Mondia got another 12 miles on last night. Which brings the mile total 43 miles.

The Green Gitane, I found a couple more freewheels. One being Shimano and the other is Suntour, the Suntour appears to have lower profile in the spacing. I have not been able to check. If the Shimano clears I'll use the '68 Simplex rd, if not then I will replace the '68 with an early 80's Simplex long cage claw rd. I have no qualms of putting the fantastic plastic back to the box o' poo. As it stands, no miles, still needs cup removed. I may end up bringing the Gypsy to Charles at Wright Bros. I know he has the VAR tools.

A new black beast, unlabeled, paint beat to poop, serial numbers filed off, rusty outside, the signs off life inside, fillet brazed rear triangle, a Schwinn Paramount. So me being who I am with, what at times seams like, Mountains of Crap have decided to put some pedals to the metals. Here it is the Cadillac of Schwinn now a Junkyard wars combatant.

The headset looks great on the outside, looked really bad inside. However the ball track is clear from the rust, is now rebuilt and ready to go. Off the rack in garage I pulled an old 27" wheelset, low flange Campy hubs on Matrix rims. These rims are almost identical to the Wobler Super Champion, with hook bead. The rear wheel has gotten some attention to address some minor damage. The rear has a tiny bit of hop, I don't think it will noticeable. Tires have been mounted, brand new Kenda 27-1 1/4". The tries were from a bike that was given to me from the Road Warrior, omg his bikes are real crap. Here's the donor.

It's a Tiger, I posted it for sale under parts, I got a good bite but the potential was not a mechanical and would have paid more for me to cable up. Nah screw that, I may give this to the Bikery coop they are good at finding a spot for this type of transient.

Here is the Cadillac of all Schwinn.

I have had the frame a week $20, the wheels have been on the hook not a long time 4-5years were $35, roughly $15 for the stem bars and seatpost. Currently sporting Suntour ratchet shifter and GT-vluxe rear from a trashy street find of many moons ago. I do have Weinman red button quick release levers to go with the 610-750 calipers, as a take off from a MKM purchase last winter.

I don't think I'll be able conquer the $108 budget but it will be close.
Old 05-18-22, 10:16 AM
Andy_K 

No, I just can't accept that you'll be putting a Schwinn Paramount in the Clunker 100. My mind refuses to process this information.
Old 05-18-22, 03:59 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
First real ride on the Peugeot clunker:

Unfortunately, just a mile into my ride, the drive-side cotter reminded me that I didn’t get it inserted far enough to get a nut on it, and it worked its way loose. I tried banging it in with a rock found on the edge of that pond in the background, but that didn’t work. Instead, I walked/glided home, removed cotter, filed it down a bit, and reinserted, this time getting enough threads showing to get a nut on it. It might work now! Otherwise, the bike felt very smooth. Single-speed gearing is fairly low, which suits me fine. I might commute on it tomorrow or try again to do the 20-mile loop I was trying to do today.
Old 05-18-22, 07:20 PM
Mr. 66

No, I just can't accept that you'll be putting a Schwinn Paramount in the Clunker 100. My mind refuses to process this information.
When shopping at the Bikeworks warehouse sale wild, wild, seriously wild things can happpen...

On to the Paramount, I'm thinking Stronglight cranks. I know I have a good English threaded Stronglight bb. I found the spindle first in the box o' poo, the bb I first pulled is not the one I was thinking of. It is a Stronglight and I'm happy to have it. I've looked through so many parts for the Gitane I'm glad that I had this available. The spindle is 125 for a mid '80s triple. The bb looks ok, not clean, no rust. I clean of course, drive looks good clean track, I clean the the NDS nice that's good. Wait, ah dang! The NDS is cracked. I got to try the drive and those threads are bunged. Yoga breathes a plenty, lol, I briefly look again for the good set. Heck, I give up, I know where Campy thin cups are. Bob's the uncle.

That's enough wrench today, I've got 12 miles to to put on the Mondia tonight.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 05-18-22 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-20-22, 08:08 AM
ollo_ollo

Those Weinmann, true "Red Dot", levers are seldom seen now. (According to velobase + CR thread, only produced 1963-1965) Once had a first year, 1 owner, 1965 Schwinn Super Sport that came with them and currently have a set on a 1969 Motobecane Grand Record but suspect were not OEM on the Moto. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 05-20-22 at 08:42 AM. Reason: add info
Old 05-20-22, 08:56 PM
Andy_K 

Warm weather and low humidity meant I got to try out my new paint tent today. It barely fits in the garage,

Apologies for the non-drive side picture. It looks like the near seat stay needs another coat or two.

I feel like maybe I'm not using enough primer. I think this is the third bike I've painted with the same can of primer. That's good for the budget, though. The red paint (Rust-Oleum Sunrise Red) is a can I got a couple of years ago to test the match on my Allez. (it didn't match.) I figure between that and the partial can of primer, I'll mark down $10 for paint.
Old 05-21-22, 07:17 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
Apologies for the non-drive side picture. It looks like the near seat stay needs another coat or two.

I feel like maybe I'm not using enough primer. I think this is the third bike I've painted with the same can of primer. That's good for the budget, though. The red paint (Rust-Oleum Sunrise Red) is a can I got a couple of years ago to test the match on my Allez. (it didn't match.) I figure between that and the partial can of primer, I'll mark down $10 for paint.
No apologies needed if there is no drive train to show.

I usually only get one bike per can of primer. I don't use the entire can, but there isn't enough left to do another bike. For color, I'll buy two cans, in case I mess up, but one is normally enough.
Old 05-21-22, 09:53 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 133 Posts
I'm working on my entry and sometimes the chain comes off the guide /top pulley. Any ideas why that might be happening and how to fix/adjust?
Old 05-21-22, 10:09 AM
Mr. 66

Originally Posted by rgvg
I'm working on my entry and sometimes the chain comes off the guide /top pulley. Any ideas why that might be happening and how to fix/adjust?
That sounds like an alignment issue, have you checked the hanger? Your cage may be tweaked. Have you looked at your pulleys in co-plane to the cogs?
Old 05-21-22, 10:32 AM
ollo_ollo

Leaving Stayton/Sublimity

Oregon land preservation law requires large acreage per home once outside city limits

Still Westbound

Crossing to the EastBound side

Unscheduled stop Eastbound

Stopped half way through untangling to take these 2 pics

On the road again, Eastbound
It was cold and rainy Thursday and again Friday morning, so I continued with the inside painting projects that have filled my bad weather days since returning to Oregon. But the sun peeked out late Friday, so I cleaned up my brushes, and took the Super Course out to begin its 5th Anniversary Clunker Tour at 3:30 PM. Soon, I was Westbound on Oregon State Hwy 22 and the Super Course was moving right along with smooth, easy shifts. Destination: The local transfer station (i.e. the Tip for you Brits). 12 miles(19.3 km) out then back again Eastbound to home.

Took a few pics during water breaks, just standing over the Raleigh. Sorry for not including bike in the shots, will try to improve on next outing. My lung function is much better after surgery in November. Made a good recovery and managed to ride quite a bit in Florida but only for short distances. Longest was 16 miles, so I'm still a long way from being ready to ride Cino in July.

This route has a long, steep climb on the West end where I was hoping to avoid using my "two foot" gear! First 12 miles went well, but I had a mechanical while returning on the East bound hill. I took a water break and called home midway before starting up the hill. I was starting up the return hill in my small front/big rear combo when I stopped. Back pedaled half a turn to position the pedal to start out, but something in the drive felt loose, especially at the top of each stroke. After about 30 feet of this, I decided to stop and investigate, but the chain jammed. Going slow uphill, I managed to get a foot down without falling over. Chain was out of the rear DR and the DR wasn't maintaining tension. Action was very stiff, but switching to the big ring in front, I could still move 3 cogs up on my freewheel. I rode home that way and had a good workout. Will tear down the DR and see if something is broken or maybe it just needs clean/lube. So that's day 1 of my Anniversary Tour, 24miles/38.6 km, more later. Don
Old 05-21-22, 12:02 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
No miles on the clunker Nishiki this week but I did manage to get the BB overhauled:

Pretty clean; probably hasn’t been touched in all its 35 years of life:

Nasty grease!

Races look pretty good:

Added a rack so I can commute to work on this thing. That’s a 35 mile day, so adding to my already accumulated 32 miles, I’ll be done with this challenge. Then I can decide what to do with this silly bike. Probably sell it and put that $$ towards next years bike…

Old 05-21-22, 01:44 PM
nlerner

I did shakedown cruise #2 on my Peugeot clunker, a somewhat hilly 11 miles up through the arboretum. That’s Boston skyline in the hazy background:

Today’s mechanical issue was that the handlebar clamp loosened up so that the bars would rotate when I climbed (I learned that I pull on the bars a lot when climbing). Of course, I didn’t have the appropriate wrench with me, so I just had to be careful and couldn’t climb standing. Came home and tightened things up.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 05-21-22, 02:00 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Originally Posted by nlerner
I did shakedown cruise #2 on my Peugeot clunker, a somewhat hilly 11 miles up through the arboretum. That’s Boston skyline in the hazy background:

Today’s mechanical issue was that the handlebar clamp loosened up so that the bars would rotate when I climbed (I learned that I pull on the bars a lot when climbing). Of course, I didn’t have the appropriate wrench with me, so I just had to be careful and couldn’t climb standing. Came home and tightened things up.
Man, single speed through the hills. Impressive.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-21-22, 03:08 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Man, single speed through the hills. Impressive.
Oh, I wasn’t exactly setting a land speed record, but I do find climbing on a single speed helps build strength. I also have this bike (and my Milwaukee Cycle Co single speed) geared fairly low to tackle the hills and spin out on the descents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.