Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

98' Lemond Zurich Rebuild

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-22, 07:15 PM
Scottmph

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross Check, 1998 Lemond Zurich (frame only)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Was recently handed down an old Lemond Zurich frame from a friend. I've never built up a bike before, but I will have some help from someone who has done it a lot but I need to acquire all the components first. I have two main questions:

1) this was a 2x9 speed when it was first manufactured. Most newer road bikes I've seen are 10-11, and the components meet those specs. Is it possible and advisable to put 2x10 on this bike? In general, do I have some latitude in slightly diverging from the stock build specs on this frame?
2) can anyone definitively say that 700c x 28mm tires have enough clearance for this frame?

Any additional advice from folks that have experience with these frames are welcomed. The price was right (free) and it's a beautiful frame, but building up a bike wasn't something I anticipated doing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-22, 08:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
It is modern enough that any curent/recent mechanical road drivetrain will work. 8, 9, 10, 11sp- all fine.
Pick the one you want and just make sure all components are compatible.

As for tires, use a hex wrench to check the space between the frame and tires at the chainstays, seat tube, brake bridge, and fork crown. You need to keep at least a few mm of space all around the tire to account for road debris, wheel wobble, etc.
Old 08-08-22, 05:38 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
You've got a very nice frame. Be good to it.

While, on a practical basis, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a 9 and 10 speed bike, like nearly none, as mstateglfr mentions, 8-11 will work, but keep an eye on component compatibility. You mention a frame..did you receive any components with the frame? You'll find that building a bike up can cost a few bucks. If you have, for example, a set of shifters that came with the frame..that may determine how you want to proceed.

With respect to 28mm tires..I have two Lemond road bikes, an '01 and an '02, and they both can run "28mm" tires (Panaracer GravelKing Slicks). The '02 is a titanium frame and 28s just nicely fit. The other frame, steel, fits 28s just fine. GK slicks are known to run a bit small (I've measured 26.7mm on H Plus Son Archetype rims). Tires in general can run slightly different sizes on different wheels.

jamesdak has a couple pre-2000 Lemonds, I think, and may know better on tires sizes for a '98.
Old 08-08-22, 06:06 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I ride a '06 LeMond Reno. The Zurich is spec'd with 25's, as is my Reno. I have Michelin Pro 4 tires- 25's-on it which leaves 3/8" clearance to the seat tube. Now, those tires actually measured out to 28, so if your geometry is similar, could use 28's-if the tires you use are true to size. BTW-that is a very nice frame! Have fun building iit up.
Old 08-08-22, 08:12 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
As stated above, you have a very nice frame set. I have a 2001 Lemond Tourmalet and a 2002 Poprad, I love riding both of them. The Tourmalet, I believe has about the same geometry as the Zurich, but I am not sure about any difference in the forks. My Tourmalet with the stock unicrown, steel fork fits 28mm, all brands I have tried, with no problem. I switched from threaded to threadless set up with a carbon fiber fork, it still fits the 28 mm I have tried on it, but the clearance is barely enough, maybe not enough for some. The Poprad is a CX bike, ergo, very different geometry and clearance. I actually ride the Poprad more due to being able to fit up to true 33mm tires. Knowing how much space you have to work with is definitely a help in deciding on tires, but brands very substantially in width. Also, with some forks, it is the fork crown or brake caliper that is the limiting factor, not the fork legs. The wheels are another factor in actual tire width. Unfortunately, without input from someone that has tried the specific tire, wheel, bike set up, it is a bit of guessing and trial and error.

Building a bike for the first time is a challenge, especially if you are as mechanically challenged as I am. It can be more costly than one anticipates, in particularly if one is set on specific items. It can also be frustrating at times. However, for me. when I finish a bike and all is operating as it should, the bike looks good and close to what I had pictured; it is high in satisfaction, feeling of accomplishment, and the real reward is a fine riding bike that you put together.
Old 08-08-22, 08:25 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Congratulations, I own a '98 Zurich with the classic red with white panels on the terrific Reynolds 853 frame and it came with 25mm but I now ride 28mm. You have a 130mm dropout spacing so as said any 8 to 11 speed groupset/wheels will nicely fit. I found the stock 2x9 Shimano Ultegra 6500 groupset flawless but parts always get harder to find with older groupsets.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 08-08-22, 09:11 AM
Scottmph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Congratulations, I own a '98 Zurich with the classic red with white panels on the terrific Reynolds 853 frame and it came with 25mm but I now ride 28mm. You have a 130mm dropout spacing so as said any 8 to 11 speed groupset/wheels will nicely fit. I found the stock 2x9 Shimano Ultegra 6500 groupset flawless but parts always get harder to find with older groupsets.
Thanks!
This is where my novice experience shows. Are putting more recent 10 speed group sets (e.g. Tiagra 4700) risky for this frame? I'd love to find the original group set, but as you indicated that may be challenging. Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to when looking at newer components? The majority of the responses on this thread have been unanimous on ensuring that all the components fit with another, but are there any considerations for newer grouppos on this frame?
Old 08-08-22, 09:21 AM
Scottmph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
You've got a very nice frame. Be good to it.

While, on a practical basis, there isn't a whole lot of difference between a 9 and 10 speed bike, like nearly none, as mstateglfr mentions, 8-11 will work, but keep an eye on component compatibility. You mention a frame..did you receive any components with the frame? You'll find that building a bike up can cost a few bucks. If you have, for example, a set of shifters that came with the frame..that may determine how you want to proceed.

With respect to 28mm tires..I have two Lemond road bikes, an '01 and an '02, and they both can run "28mm" tires (Panaracer GravelKing Slicks). The '02 is a titanium frame and 28s just nicely fit. The other frame, steel, fits 28s just fine. GK slicks are known to run a bit small (I've measured 26.7mm on H Plus Son Archetype rims). Tires in general can run slightly different sizes on different wheels.

jamesdak has a couple pre-2000 Lemonds, I think, and may know better on tires sizes for a '98.
Thanks for your help! It came with the original fork in addition to the frame.
Old 08-08-22, 10:07 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

It looks like the '98 model was Ultegra throughout. 9 speed Ultegra stuff (6500 series) is still easy to find on ebay. Shifters, front and rear derailleurs, hubs... I haven't looked for a crank lately so no idea there. Cassettes and chains are no issue. Rim brake wheelsets are available (try Velomine or Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. Velomine has high demand and sells out of various wheelsets quite often. Their inventory changes over time so you need to keep an eye on it). No idea on the cost of 10sp vs 9sp..haven't looked at 10sp stuff. Nothing these days is overly cheap. There's a seller (ezbikestore) on ebay for complete Jagwire cable sets at less than $25.

https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis...1998lemond.pdf

If you're buying a built wheelset, make sure you appreciate the difference in sound (noise) a rear hub makes. Shimano is quiet, many others are quite noisy. Pick your preference.

Last edited by fishboat; 08-08-22 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-08-22, 10:35 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Originally Posted by Scottmph
,,,The majority of the responses on this thread have been unanimous on ensuring that all the components fit with another, but are there any considerations for newer grouppos on this frame?
You should have no trouble as long as your wheels will work for you. Here is a source which in detail explains all the possible permutations:https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Cass...rt_2_3257.html. You can also use this sites search function and find a lot of data on upgrading 2x9 to 2x10.
Old 08-08-22, 11:04 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Thanks!
This is where my novice experience shows. Are putting more recent 10 speed group sets (e.g. Tiagra 4700) risky for this frame? I'd love to find the original group set, but as you indicated that may be challenging. Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to when looking at newer components? The majority of the responses on this thread have been unanimous on ensuring that all the components fit with another, but are there any considerations for newer grouppos on this frame?
Risky? No. There's nothing "risky" about a newer groupset on that frame. That said, a frame of that quality begs to be dressed with high-quality parts. I would have a hard time putting anything less than 105 on it.

A Zurich was my first true road racing bike purchase, and I was riding it for my first race win. Wonderful frame. I wish I still had mine.
Old 08-08-22, 12:16 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Thanks!
I prefer the 9 or 10 speed drivetrains. The 11 sp drivetrain requires the rear wheel to be dished even more than before, and you need to trim more with that wider cassette. Newer bikes solved these issues with wider 142mm hubs and electronic shifting. That's why I am not a big fan of older 11sp rim brake, mech shifting drivetrains.
Old 08-08-22, 12:27 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
The only risk is that you mentioned Tiagra 10 speed. There's nothing particularly wrong with Tiagra 10 speed, but it has a complication. Just about any other Shimano group (you want to keep all of your drivetrain parts - shifters, derailleurs, cassette, mainly, crankset and brakes don't matter as much - from the same manufacturer), you can mix and match parts as long as they're for the same speed (can be any mix of Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, whatever as long as they're all 10 speed or 11 or 9 speed - 8 speed Dura Ace or below is a different ball of wax), but Tiagra 10 speed isn't that way. It doesn't play nicely with any other 10 speed parts, so you have to get all Tiagra if you decide to go Tiagra 10 speed. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but, if you're sourcing used, it's a lot easier if you can be a bit more flexible.
Old 08-08-22, 08:21 PM
Scottmph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
The only risk is that you mentioned Tiagra 10 speed. There's nothing particularly wrong with Tiagra 10 speed, but it has a complication. Just about any other Shimano group (you want to keep all of your drivetrain parts - shifters, derailleurs, cassette, mainly, crankset and brakes don't matter as much - from the same manufacturer), you can mix and match parts as long as they're for the same speed (can be any mix of Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, whatever as long as they're all 10 speed or 11 or 9 speed - 8 speed Dura Ace or below is a different ball of wax), but Tiagra 10 speed isn't that way. It doesn't play nicely with any other 10 speed parts, so you have to get all Tiagra if you decide to go Tiagra 10 speed. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but, if you're sourcing used, it's a lot easier if you can be a bit more flexible.
Thank you! Wasn't set on tiagra, but this is helpful before I make any purchases.
Old 08-09-22, 03:15 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Scottmph , PM'ed you regarding a 6500 group set, but I think you may not be able to PM yet. Post here if you have interest but cannot PM yet.
Old 08-09-22, 05:26 AM
Scottmph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Scottmph , PM'ed you regarding a 6500 group set, but I think you may not be able to PM yet. Post here if you have interest but cannot PM yet.
Thanks. I'm interested, but can't PM yet.
Old 08-09-22, 05:05 PM
Scottmph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!
Old 08-09-22, 05:06 PM
Scottmph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I ride a '06 LeMond Reno. The Zurich is spec'd with 25's, as is my Reno. I have Michelin Pro 4 tires- 25's-on it which leaves 3/8" clearance to the seat tube. Now, those tires actually measured out to 28, so if your geometry is similar, could use 28's-if the tires you use are true to size. BTW-that is a very nice frame! Have fun building iit up.
Thanks for your help!
Old 08-09-22, 08:32 PM
easyupbug 

Thank you!
By the way my decals have taken a 20+ year beating and am looking for a replacement. There was a guy in Europe who reportedly had a nice set for a '98 but I can not make contact. Should you run across any
please let me know.
Old 08-09-22, 08:39 PM
Scottmph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way my decals have taken a 20+ year beating and am looking for a replacement. There was a guy in Europe who reportedly had a nice set for a '98 but I can not make contact. Should you run across any
please let me know.
depending on how much you want new ones, you may want to find someone who can design new ones for you. I have an older Surly and someone at my bike shop designed new decals for the bike. Might have just been lucky to have someone local to do that, but may be a better option than combing through eBay.
Old 08-20-22, 01:05 PM
606david

Bikes: lemond wayzata

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can you upload pics yet?
Old 08-20-22, 03:34 PM
Scottmph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't expect to see pics until November, at least.

Originally Posted by 606david
can you upload pics yet?
Old 08-21-22, 02:06 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I had a '98 Zurich and I loved it. The bad thing about the Lemond's and Trek's of that era is the paint is paper thin and peels off if you sneeze on it. Almost impossible to find one of those bikes today that looks good, they all need repainting.
Old 08-21-22, 05:38 AM
gamu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Good luck and post pics! There's a "Show your LeMond" thread over in the Road Cycling forum that has lots of great bikes posted, but can always use more.

I'm currently working on a '99 Tourmalet build. I have pretty much all the parts, just need the time to put it together. I scored a near-complete, like new Campy Record 9-speed groupset off craigslist for a good price. That can be a good way to get parts if you live somewhere with a lot of road bikers, though you need to be savvy enough to assess the condition of parts yourself or you could get taken advantage of. I think now is a great time to buy higher end 9- and 10-speed stuff, since it's neither the "new hotness" nor is it old enough to be "real vintage," so I've definitely seen some Ultegra, Chorus, and even Dura-Ace go for nice prices. If you want Record of that era, I still think the price is as good as it's ever going to be, but... you definitely pay a price for being a snob. I should know, since I just paid it.
Old 08-21-22, 05:57 AM
fishboat

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I had a '98 Zurich and I loved it. The bad thing about the Lemond's and Trek's of that era is the paint is paper thin and peels off if you sneeze on it. Almost impossible to find one of those bikes today that looks good, they all need repainting.
I've heard this a few times, but I've never narrowed in down to specific years. I just completed the second of two Lemonds that I've stripped and painted. The first was a 2003 Wayzata (bronze color, Wayzata and Poprads are the same frame/fork, one is flat bar and one was a drop bar). This frame had the original paint on it though hadn't been taken care of. Physically/mechanically the frame & fork were in great shape, however cosmetically it was...ugly. The paint on this bike was very tough to strip. I didn't want to media-blast it. Chemical strippers (box store type) wouldn't touch it. It took me 14 hours to get it stripped down to metal and ready for repaint. The second bike, a 2003 Poprad, was repainted before I bought it. Whoever painted it (thankfully) used cheap box-store consumer paint. This stuff stripped with of chemical stripper easily. It was ready for paint in a little over an hour. I did look at a 2001 Zurich a few years ago. I knew of the paint issue at that time. The paint on this 2001 seemed very sound. It had many scuffs on it and though the paint seemed to be holding up well.

Trek is certainly capable of sourcing and applying good paint. They did cure this issue..just not sure when it started and when they fixed it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.