Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quality issues with new Wahoo Speedplays?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-21, 02:25 PM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I've been a Speedplay user for years, so I wanted to give the new, Wahoo versions a shot (liked the idea of not needing the grease gun anymore).

At first everything looked great - much improved packaging/instructions, clean pedal design, all-black cleats, etc. But something seemed off as soon as I began using them. My feet felt like they were constantly moving around on the pedals (almost like the cleats had a loose grip on the pedal) and there was some pretty serious clicking under any kind of load. Turns out the pedal was loose on the spindle allowing for a couple mms of side-to-side travel on both pedals.

Contacted Wahoo about the issue. After sending several pictures and videos of the issue, they told me to stop using the pedals "immediately" and send them back. I asked multiple times what the problem was, and if it was a common issue, but they avoided the questions each time (almost felt like they were hiding something).

Fast forward several weeks and
I am now on my 3rd replacement set from Wahoo! Same story each time - feel fine when I get them, start to feel loose after the first ~50mi, get home to realize the pedal is loose on the spindle. Keep asking the same questions and getting the same response - stop riding immediately and we will send you new ones. Really seems like they are having issues they don't want to acknowledge. No idea what is actually going on here but thought this was odd enough to share.
Old 07-07-21, 02:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yikes. Maybe there was a bad batch? I got a new set a month or so ago and they've been great.
Old 07-07-21, 02:33 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
At this point, maybe consider another brand?
Old 07-07-21, 02:40 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
My guess is that they don't know the root cause of the problem and don't want to speculate. One has to assume that a certain amount of testing happened before releasing them to the public and the issue you are experiencing was not seen at that time. For liability reasons, they may never disclose whatever they find but hopefully will take steps to assure it doesn't happen going forward. As long as they are replacing the product and not trying to blame it on you, I'd keep a close eye on the spindles and be patient.
Old 07-07-21, 03:04 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
At this point, maybe consider another brand?
If you're after what Speedplay offers, there isn't really an alternative.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-07-21, 03:27 PM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If you're after what Speedplay offers, there isn't really an alternative.
Ya, that's the challenge. Plus having them on multiple bike makes it a pain to change systems. I'll probably just go back to the old ones if I cant get this figured out.
Old 07-07-21, 06:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
A bit OT: has anyone figured out yet whether it's possible to install any of the after-market spindles in the Wahoo versions? I would want a set with +3mm spindle length. It seems to be taking Wahoo a while to start offering the other length options that they indicated would become available.
Old 07-08-21, 09:13 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
They will eventually get it right (I hope. I stocked up on the older ones and some cleats. I do use extended spindles but I have the older ones made by Ward, who no longer makes them.
Old 07-08-21, 10:57 PM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting that. I just switched from X2 pedals and have about 200 miles on my new zeros without that issue so I hope I’m good. I guess I’ll hang on to all my old X2 gear a while longer just to be sure.
Old 08-09-22, 10:46 AM
quadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bummer. I have the OG speedplays (the call is X1 or X2?) and it's still going fine although I worry about finding a new set of cleats as they wear. Assume I would have to go full Wahoo on this....

Anyone have old cleats (or the metal spring part for these old cleats?