Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is there an advantage to hookless rims?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is there an advantage to hookless rims?

Old 06-09-22, 12:35 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
You just touched on why they "work" over there= 15 psi. The issue isn't about burping on road it's quite literally about tires being blown off the rim. Its the other end of the spectrum.

The most troubling thing for me is that the parts of the industry that will talk about it openly just use in house rules of 150% of target pressure. That's a 1.5 safety factor. That's the LOWEST safety factor I have ever run into in my engineering life. Especially in a consumer product. The worst part is that not everyone even agrees on going that "high". Hushed anecdotes say some OE's have been fine with 1.2-1.3. Think about that: If they are rating a particular tire and rim combo to 70 psi then that means they have experienced blow off at 84 psi. Keep in mind that even all these years after we went to "wider" 23mm rims (13 years ago) we are still having an impossible time convincing people not to ride pressures in the 115 psi range for road. Old habits die hard. This is an absolute recipe for more than a handful of deaths. Also...84psi? how accurate is your crappy pump that you've used for 15 years? I've run across new *redacted* pump gauges that are as much as 15-20 psi off at lower pressures.
For road use, you will get no argument from me. My new carbon rims are hooked and I won't ride hookless on gravel or road.
Old 06-09-22, 12:49 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
I STILL run into recalled Shimano canti brakes that were recalled in the 80's 90's because the plastic spring retainer would crack. Still. Had a set walk in last week. It's been 40 years.
I think I have a set of those in the parts bin. Didn't know they were recalled, but remember being surprised that someone thought it was a good idea to make a crucial part that took repeated rubbing from the end of a spring out of brittle plastic. Might have chucked them when I could no longer get them adjusted right.
Old 06-09-22, 12:55 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I think I have a set of those in the parts bin. Didn't know they were recalled, but remember being surprised that someone thought it was a good idea to make a crucial part that took repeated rubbing from the end of a spring out of brittle plastic. Might have chucked them when I could no longer get them adjusted right.
They no longer cover replacement but they used to send out the replacement parts for years/decades. They now don't cover any of it. If you have them you're on the hook for a set of cheap canti's that work great as replacements.

Old 06-09-22, 01:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
H+Son sell quite a few hard anodized rims. The last set of rim brake wheels that I built up were Archetypes. Good rims. I mean, the brake track looked a bit ass after the first wet, gritty ride, but they were nice.
The larger issue is that the hard anodizing all but guaranteed that the rims would eventually begin cracking at the spoke holes. I went through quite a few MP4 Mavic rims with that problem back in the day.

Poorer braking than silver anodized rims, too. Campy brakes, a.k.a. "speed modulators," were already enough of a while-knuckle experience in panic stops without the added reduction in braking power from hard anodizing.
Old 06-09-22, 01:23 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Dangit - now I am revved up. We are about to record a new episode of the podcast so I am sure I will touch on this and rant slightly. *shameless podcast plug* give us a listen at Road Is Dead.
I'm gonna have to give it a listen.
Old 06-09-22, 01:42 PM
himespau 

They no longer cover replacement but they used to send out the replacement parts for years/decades. They now don't cover any of it. If you have them you're on the hook for a set of cheap canti's that work great as replacements.
Other than a set of super flexy Scott Drop-In bars (that I kind of regret getting rid of now), I don't really ever throw anything from my parts bin away even if I know I'll never use it again. Still have some old plastic friction stem shifters that I kept for God knows what reason. At least knowing there's no more way of fixing them means I might actually throw out those canti brakes the next time I see them when rummaging through one of my tubs.

Actually thought of you a couple nights back because I was racing on Zwift and saw someone with a [PSImet] team tag in my race and was thinking that I didn't remember having raced against one of your riders before. Also had been remembering what you thought about the integrity of Zwift racing.
Old 06-09-22, 02:03 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Well ...

Removing the hook = removing one layer of protection from the tyre blowing off of the rim. And ZERO benefits. Why bother?
Old 06-09-22, 02:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Well ...

Removing the hook = removing one layer of protection from the tyre blowing off of the rim. And ZERO benefits. Why bother?
It's already been stated a few times -- there is a manufacturing benefit.
Old 06-09-22, 02:16 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Only benefit that I could find is increased internal width for a given external fixed width making for an allegedly plusher ride.

The lack of sufficient safety margin for blowoffs is why I recently bought hooked rims.
Old 06-09-22, 02:19 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Only benefit that I could find is increased internal width for a given external fixed width making for an allegedly plusher ride.

The lack of sufficient safety margin for blowoffs is why I recently bought hooked rims.
Someone once told me it was that it made it slightly easier to get tires on the rims.
Old 06-09-22, 02:20 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Compromising safety just so ppl can have cheap(er) carbon rims, is not a benefit. Its a liability. By that logic customers might as well buy no name carbon wheels from freabay. Me. Id much rather have a semi no name china wheel than a hook less road wheel from any manufacturer.
Old 06-09-22, 02:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think the other poster was implying that they think there is no benefit to the consumer.
The consumer doesnt pay less for hookless, even though manufacturing is faster/easier/less waste.
Old 06-09-22, 03:06 PM
force10

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Dangit - now I am revved up. We are about to record a new episode of the podcast so I am sure I will touch on this and rant slightly. *shameless podcast plug* give us a listen at Road Is Dead.
Subscribed.
Old 06-09-22, 03:07 PM
force10

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
It's worthwhile to point out that old bikeforums member who "grew up" to become the editor of VeloNews and now Cycling Tips and runs the cycling Tips podcast and Nerd Alert podcast basically came to the same epiphany the other day and took to twitter about it.
Link?
Old 06-09-22, 03:12 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Wow! I started this to learn of the advantages of those rims. So, maybe a touch stronger, a touch lighter. And definitely cheaper to make. Less waste. Fatter stockholder portfolios. I'm supposed to risk my skin and bones for those advantages?
Old 06-09-22, 03:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Wow! I started this to learn of the advantages of those rims.
Lol. Yeah, right.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-09-22, 03:18 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
<snip> I'm supposed to risk my skin and bones for those advantages?
Apparently...yes.

This is truly really like the whole bottom bracket fiasco. A misguided endeavor based in manufacturing savings and trying to solve for bad quality by just eliminating a feature.

Old 06-09-22, 03:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,925 Times in 4,666 Posts
No. There is no benefit for the rider. All real benefits are on the manufacturing side. They are less expensive to mold and there is less scrap. The tradeoffs on the rider side of absolutely little to no control of the tires and their ability to reliably stay on the rims in road applications is borderline criminally negligent in my opinion. My opinion is meaningless though.
It's not meaningless to many of us around here.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-09-22, 03:32 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
. The tradeoffs on the rider side of absolutely little to no control of the tires and their ability to reliably stay on the rims in road applications is borderline criminally negligent in my opinion. My opinion is meaningless though.
Old 06-09-22, 03:42 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Wow! I started this to learn of the advantages of those rims. So, maybe a touch stronger, a touch lighter. And definitely cheaper to make. Less waste. Fatter stockholder portfolios. I'm supposed to risk my skin and bones for those advantages?
If you truly love the stockholders, you will.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-09-22, 03:45 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Guys,

I recently did a 71 mile gravel race over some pretty rough roads on hookless rims. I didn't die.

I'll just point out that motorcyle wheels, ATV wheels and automobile wheels are all hookless.
Old 06-09-22, 03:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Guys,

I recently did a 71 mile gravel race over some pretty rough roads on hookless rims. I didn't die.

I'll just point out that motorcyle wheels, ATV wheels and automobile wheels are all hookless.
​​​​​Since my previous post, I've had one more blowoff and one more death. This brings me up to eight and three, respectively. I figure I'll go back to hooked rims after I die seven times - that'll give me one more plus a bailout.
Old 06-09-22, 05:15 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Guys,

With steel beads.

I've had a tubeless bicycle tire blow off at below the rated pressure.
Old 06-09-22, 05:23 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've been using the new zipp 303s hookless rims for over 1000 miles with no problems. The 23mm internal width allows a lower tire pressure than my 19mm hooked rims. My Pirelli p zero tires were easy to get onto the rim and seated with a very old Silca pump. No problems so far. I've had mine up to 57mph.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 06-09-22 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-09-22, 05:31 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Compromising safety just so ppl can have cheap(er) carbon rims, is not a benefit. Its a liability. By that logic customers might as well buy no name carbon wheels from freabay. Me. Id much rather have a semi no name china wheel than a hook less road wheel from any manufacturer.
You didn't specify it was no benefit to the end user, just "ZERO benefits." Hookless is a benefit to the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I think the other poster was implying that they think there is no benefit to the consumer.
Okay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.