Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Frame Material

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-22, 02:21 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Frame Material

I tried to keep up with all of the latest fads. I ended up with top end carbon bikes and to tell you the truth most of them rode like garbage. I am not a pro-racer and I'm not going fast enough to smooth the bumps out with speed. Then they started making carbon bikes for people who just tide. These carbon bikes are pretty light but to tell you the truth my bike and body weigh a little over 210 lbs. and changing this weight by a couple of percent as a normal sports rider doesn't make a detectable difference in climbing or riding on the flats.

So it began narrowing down to whether it was worthwhile to pay a small fortune to have a new or even newish bike.

I began riding more and more aluminum bikes and while they rode OK, I didn't like the cables ringing like a bell when they slapped against the headtube on the terrible roads around here. So now I will be turning back to steel bikes. Tomasso, Tomassini, Masi and other really nice bikes using modern groups and such can end up almost as light as a top end carbon racing bike,. Certainly as good as my Colnago C50 which I keep around for old times sake.

At 77 I neither climb fast enough nor have the guts to descend fast enough to make aerodynamic drag even worth mention. So shouldn't ai ride a nice comfortable bike that doesn't put my bank account in the red?
Likes For cyclintom:
Old 07-18-22, 02:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Why not?
Old 07-18-22, 02:30 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
I tried to keep up with all of the latest fads. I ended up with top end carbon bikes and to tell you the truth most of them rode like garbage. I am not a pro-racer and I'm not going fast enough to smooth the bumps out with speed. Then they started making carbon bikes for people who just tide. These carbon bikes are pretty light but to tell you the truth my bike and body weigh a little over 210 lbs. and changing this weight by a couple of percent as a normal sports rider doesn't make a detectable difference in climbing or riding on the flats.

So it began narrowing down to whether it was worthwhile to pay a small fortune to have a new or even newish bike.

I began riding more and more aluminum bikes and while they rode OK, I didn't like the cables ringing like a bell when they slapped against the headtube on the terrible roads around here. So now I will be turning back to steel bikes. Tomasso, Tomassini, Masi and other really nice bikes using modern groups and such can end up almost as light as a top end carbon racing bike,. Certainly as good as my Colnago C50 which I keep around for old times sake.

At 77 I neither climb fast enough nor have the guts to descend fast enough to make aerodynamic drag even worth mention. So shouldn't ai ride a nice comfortable bike that doesn't put my bank account in the red?
Nostalgia is a great thing isn’t it. In my memories, I Love Lucy was an amazing TV show, back seat of my 75 LeSabre was spacious, Hungry Man TV dinners were really good and Disco music was brilliant.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 07-18-22 at 02:35 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-18-22, 02:48 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
To be perfectly honest with you neither frame material nor 'design' have really anything to do with ride quality. Unless you have some kind of mechanical pivot in the frame (Trek Domane) all frames are so close in ride quality you'd never be able to tell the difference in a blind test. Tire pressure is another story.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-18-22, 02:54 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I tried to keep up with all of the latest fads. I ended up with top end carbon bikes
Given its widespread general use and its success in the pro peloton, carbon fiber has been one helluva "fad."

I began riding more and more aluminum bikes and while they rode OK, I didn't like the cables ringing like a bell when they slapped against the headtube
This can probably be addressed by improved cable routing.

So shouldn't ai ride a nice comfortable bike that doesn't put my bank account in the red?
That's certainly an option that many have chosen. I think the whole frame material debate is much ado about nothing; just get whatever inspires you to ride.

Last edited by Rolla; 07-18-22 at 02:57 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-18-22, 02:57 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Ride what you believe in.
We all make a cognitive assent in what we ride.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-18-22, 03:05 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
How dare you question whether you should buy a new bike? At the magnificent age of 77, you should definitely buy a new one, if for no other reason than to renew your passion for riding (and the accompanying desire to get your money's worth out of your new purchase). You're 77. You deserve a new bike. It's probably going to be your last bike (before buying your first recumbent, e-assisted trike). There really shouldn't be any discussion.

Edit:
Carbon is supposed to dampen the chatter vibrations, but like the other guy said, improvements in the ride begin with the tires. But why quibble? Get yourself a new steel bike, for goodness sake.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 07-18-22 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-18-22, 03:21 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
People think I'm crazy but I can feel a difference on steel bikes. I feel like the aluminum bikes have high frequency vibrations that steel doesn't pass along. I have noticed it in my car too, going from the steel version to the newer all aluminum version of the car.

I have an aluminum bike on its way but with a steel fork. I'm curious to see how it feels. Its a touring frame so I'm hoping for more relaxed position and wider tires. I think it should be comfortable.

You should ride any bike you want to.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 07-18-22, 03:30 PM
tornado60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
The best bike to own is one you will want to ride.
Likes For tornado60:
Old 07-18-22, 03:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked 10,941 Times in 4,675 Posts

Yes, you should.

I doubt that anyone will tell you otherwise.
Old 07-18-22, 03:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Ride whatever you want, no need to justify personal preferences for frame material.
Old 07-19-22, 12:16 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
After riding nice carbon it's hard to ride anything else. Just feels like what little power I am putting out is being sapped by inefficiencies in the frame design/materials. I still have a 90s Ti bike that makes it off the rack occasionally, but if I'm honest I just enjoy looking at it and riding my carbon bikes. A good aluminum frame feels nice, too, almost like carbon. I've ridden some entry level steel (Reynolds 520, 631) but have been unimpressed. Maybe I will pick up a 853 to try, but my better half may object to me procuring yet another bike I don't need.
Old 07-19-22, 01:53 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
My first road bike was an aluminum for a year, then moved to a 86 Nishiki Tri-a and got a Centurion ProTour15 (steel) for commute.
Using wider tires for commute is great and super comfy, but somehow the ProTour15 fells a bit heavier (have fenders + rear rack).
Last year I got a TI bike, Litespeed Firenze with carbon forks. Really light but something was not there. Flex? And max tire was a 25c.
This year took the Nishiki to a bike shop to have the rear brake bridge moved some 5 mm up to be able to fit a wider comfy tire on it and added all the bosses for fenders and racks.
Got the paint stripped and powder coated. Now I can fit a 700x32c on it
Likes For phtomita:
Old 07-19-22, 03:20 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by m.c.
People think I'm crazy but I can feel a difference on steel bikes. I feel like the aluminum bikes have high frequency vibrations that steel doesn't pass along. I have noticed it in my car too, going from the steel version to the newer all aluminum version of the car.

I have an aluminum bike on its way but with a steel fork. I'm curious to see how it feels. Its a touring frame so I'm hoping for more relaxed position and wider tires. I think it should be comfortable.

Steel transmits high-frequency vibrations much more efficiently than aluminum. Tap a pencil against an steel frame and you get a high-pitched ringing sound; tap an aluminum frame and you get a thud. Church bells are steel rather than aluminum for the same reason.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-19-22, 04:20 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I don't know why you would expect anyone else to tell you what you SHOULD ride. I have 6 bikes and they have either steel, CF or AL frames. I enjoy each for what it is. FWIW I'm 76 and weigh 190 lbs. I'm still fairly strong but,like you, not a good climber. But when I climb I can certainly tell the difference between my 17 b 11 oz steel Guru Sidero and my CF 15 lb Guru Photon.

Last edited by bruce19; 07-19-22 at 04:24 AM.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-19-22, 05:34 AM
m.c. 

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Steel transmits high-frequency vibrations much more efficiently than aluminum. Tap a pencil against an steel frame and you get a high-pitched ringing sound; tap an aluminum frame and you get a thud. Church bells are steel rather than aluminum for the same reason.
Then there's just something about aluminum I don't like.
Old 07-19-22, 05:37 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
Ride what you want...I don't care
Old 07-19-22, 05:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Steel transmits high-frequency vibrations much more efficiently than aluminum. Tap a pencil against an steel frame and you get a high-pitched ringing sound; tap an aluminum frame and you get a thud. Church bells are
typically bronze.
Likes For tcs:
Old 07-19-22, 05:55 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
...on the terrible roads around here. So now I will be turning back to steel bikes.
One word for you: Kirk Terraplane.

Last edited by tcs; 07-19-22 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-19-22, 06:55 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
People think I'm crazy but I can feel a difference on steel bikes. I feel like the aluminum bikes have high frequency vibrations that steel doesn't pass along.
Church bells are steel rather than aluminum for the same reason.
I think most high-quality bells are actually bronze, or even brass.

But I do agree with your basic premise--the prevailing wisdom always has been that aluminum dampens road vibration.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-19-22, 07:21 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

unless they built an Al replica of your previously steel car, it’s likely that many other design and material factors are at work here. Anyway, no car is “all-aluminum” or “all-steel” - they’re a complex mix of metals, alloys, plastics, glass and rubber, all of which contribute to the feel. To say “I can feel the aluminum at work here” is delusional
Likes For Litespud:
Old 07-19-22, 07:44 AM
m.c. 

Originally Posted by Litespud
unless they built an Al replica of your previously steel car, it’s likely that many other design and material factors are at work here. Anyway, no car is “all-aluminum” or “all-steel” - they’re a complex mix of metals, alloys, plastics, glass and rubber, all of which contribute to the feel. To say “I can feel the aluminum at work here” is delusional
I don't know what the car is technically made from. The Mercedes dealer told me its all aluminum. It doesn't feel as isolated as the old ones. On certain roads it feels "buzzy" for lack of a better word, sort of the feeling the aluminum bikes have, to me. My mechanic said the steel cars absorb harshness from the road and the new cars don't. Why are you putting words in quotes that I did not say?
Old 07-19-22, 07:53 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I don't know what the car is technically made from. The Mercedes dealer told me its all aluminum.
Consider the source. He probably would have told you it was made from pure tungsten or molybdenum or carved from mammoth tusks if he thought it might earn him a sale.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-19-22, 07:55 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Why are you putting words in quotes that I did not say?
Quote marks don't automatically indicate that he was quoting you.
Old 07-19-22, 08:01 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
I feel like the aluminum bikes have high frequency vibrations that steel doesn't pass along.
Look, everyone! We have found the extremely rare "golden butt" who can tell the difference between steel vibration and aluminum vibration!

Reality: Essentially all of the compliance comes from tires, saddles, and bar tape. In comparison to these bits, all frames are rigid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.