Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where to buy non-AXS SRAM groups?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-28-21, 06:58 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts

I’m specifically looking for a 2x11 hydraulic force or red group, but can only find either AXS (too pricy) or Rival(too heavy). I see companies like All City selling new bikes with 1x11 Force CX hydro, but I can’t even find that anywhere.

Is SRAM taking a buy-AXS-or-nothing approach, or is my google-fu inadequate?
Old 05-28-21, 12:00 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 444 Posts
https://www.texascyclesport.com/sram...lphaasc&page=4

just keep in mind that axs means 12 speed and red, force or rival 22 are dieing out 11 speed.

Nothing wrong with rival axs, except it has very little availability yet, except on new 2022 bikes.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 05-28-21, 03:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I don't think they are offering 12 speed mechanical shifting groupsets.

Last edited by GlennR; 05-28-21 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-28-21, 05:19 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I don't think they are offering 12 speed mechanical shifting groupsets.
I don't really care if it's 11 or 12 speed, or mechanical or electronic. I care about not spending $2500 for a group. I know I can spend less for Rival AXS, but it's stupid heavy.
Old 05-28-21, 06:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I don't really care if it's 11 or 12 speed, or mechanical or electronic. I care about not spending $2500 for a group. I know I can spend less for Rival AXS, but it's stupid heavy.
Force 22 mechanical rim brake

$1000
https://glorycycles.com/sram-force-2...hoCMAkQAvD_BwE
Old 05-29-21, 10:12 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
You may have read poor information posted on the internet. One early review was way off on the total weight. There's hardly any difference in the FD weight and the rear isn't much heavier. The crank's extra 100 grams or so is typical when solid aluminum crank arms are used. Shimano grx is the same way, with the cheaper 610 crank is about 100 grams heavier than the 810 series. Either of these cranks can be used with sram axs. I use the grx 48/31 to get more range than the cranks offered by sram. Force or red components can also be substituted.

Right now, it's hard to find a complete group anywhere.

For those complaining about weight, I always ask if you're racing at a high level and have your body fat down into single digits. If not, then then up to 200 grams or a half pound is trivial.
Old 05-30-21, 06:24 PM
LSUFANDAN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I just got a 2022 Tarmac SL7 Comp with Rival eTap AXS and like it so far. I read that its heavy but I can upgrade it over time. I wanted to use the Tarmac on my indoor trainer so I already ordered a Force cassette. Im going to install the force cassette on the bike and put the rival cassette on the Kickr Core. I don't really feel the need to upgrade the crank to force/red right now but maybe later.