Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

favorite ride of 2021

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

favorite ride of 2021

Old 12-21-21, 05:42 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
favorite ride of 2021

your fave ride of 2021? longest? strongest? best company? best moment? personal best? best scenery? first ride post injury/recovery? whatever? combination of any?
what ride stirred you for what ever reasons(s) the most in 2021?

i'll start. an epic, must-do regional climb with oodles of scenery along the route. finally finally hit mt. lemmon, az. scenery on point and performance not great but waay
better than expected after a late night beforehand:

https://www.strava.com/activities/5121837109

and yah, we've got less than a dozen days left in the year. if you don't have a previous ride that jumps out to you, go get it and post.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-21-21 at 05:51 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-21-21, 05:58 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
A late afternoon/early evening ride this summer with my wife on our tandem. We took a ride after work, and hit the sweet spot when it seemed that everyone was at dinner. There was little traffic, and we climbed up through some woods in the late afternoon sun. The weather was perfect, warm but not hot, little noise, low angle sun through the trees so the woods looked cool and mysterious, it was one of those zen rides when everything seemed to work out well. We did a more challenging climb that I'd been hesitant to do on the tandem and it was easier than I'd feared, we made it without gasping. Then the descent around the other side of the loop, and back home. It was only about 1.5 hours, strenuous in spots but not close to our limits. We looked at each other after and agreed that that was a good ride.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 12-21-21, 06:54 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
Longest ride ever, first ever double metric. An epic ride in every way.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6153831388
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 12-21-21, 07:12 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts
Mine was a three day/two night trip from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh, PA on the Great Allegheny Passage trail. 150 miles total. The scenery, trail conditions, trail towns and people I met made it a wonderful trip and completely worthy of the GAP's reputation as a bucket-list type trip.

Eric
Old 12-21-21, 08:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
In early June I was riding 65mi with a large group of teens I help mentor when at mile 45 my front wheel hit a frost heave in the road, the wheel turned sideways, and I slammed to the ground. Ive ridden over that bump dozens of times over the last 5 years, but apparently I connected with it at a bad angle this time. I was going a little over 20 at the time and landed on my left shoulder, hip, and knee. Besides the chain falling off, the bike was perfectly fine.
I was behind my group at the time and couldnt yell loud enough to get their attention so I crawled to the side of the road to steady myself and got back on the bike. The next hour was slow and rough, but I wanted to finish. I caught up to the team and we rode the last 30min together.

I hurt, but didnt realize the extent- I broke 2 ribs, separated my clavicle, and my hip hurt for the next month.
Kinda dumb to have finished, but also oddly proud that I finished.

I will call that my most memorable ride of the year.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-21-21, 08:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
My favorite ride of the year-

I ride RAGBRAI each year and my oldest daughter wanted to join for a day this year so we spent the 6 weeks leading up to RAGBRAI doing some training rides here and there. She loves to ride and is plenty strong enough, but other activities take priority so I just wanted her to get some saddle time mostly.

She had a blast of RAGBRAI and loved all of it- the camping, the overnight town food and activities, all the outfits and costumes along the ride, the communities coming together at each stop thru town, etc. Seeing a wedding take place in a pass thru town of a couple local cyclists and getting Beekman's ice cream towards the end capped off the great day. She is pushing for a few days this coming year.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-21-21, 09:17 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

My favorite ride every year is always Kitchen Creek.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 12-21-21, 09:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
St. Albans, VT home to Philly self-contained over a two-week period, with a day off in Burlington after going sailing for the first time ever.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-21-21, 09:41 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by exercion
Mine was a three day/two night trip from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh, PA on the Great Allegheny Passage trail. 150 miles total. The scenery, trail conditions, trail towns and people I met made it a wonderful trip and completely worthy of the GAP's reputation as a bucket-list type trip.

Eric
I've done the GAP from Pittsburgh to Cumberland twice during cross-PA tours and once up and back from/to Cumberland to have dinner with a friend in Pittsburgh.

Definitely a great ride.

Did you visit Buffalo Bill's house from The Silence of the Lambs a bit off the trail in Layton, PA?
Old 12-21-21, 10:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
long ride, in the woods, in high heat & humidity, on trails I had never been on & finding water to jump in
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-21-21, 10:03 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Vail Pass

Old 12-21-21, 10:50 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
July, Canmore to Lake Louise and back (roughly a century). Parks Canada had closed part of the Bow Valley Parkway to cars so we had the road to ourselves.
We had planned to turn left at the junction and head in to town for lunch, but it turned out they were giving away free beer at the ski hill so we went there instead.
Got the T-shirt.
Likes For mercator:
Old 12-22-21, 08:51 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I've done the GAP from Pittsburgh to Cumberland twice during cross-PA tours and once up and back from/to Cumberland to have dinner with a friend in Pittsburgh.

Definitely a great ride.

Did you visit Buffalo Bill's house from The Silence of the Lambs a bit off the trail in Layton, PA?
Those sound like great trips. I'm not familiar with the movie enough to have heard of the house, but maybe next trip. I solo'd this one and now am trying to scare up a small group of friends to ride it next year.

Eric
Old 12-22-21, 09:01 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by exercion
Those sound like great trips. I'm not familiar with the movie enough to have heard of the house, but maybe next trip. I solo'd this one and now am trying to scare up a small group of friends to ride it next year.

Eric
The house is about a mile off the trail, in Layton, PA:

It recently sold again and has been turned into a "stay experience" place:

The Silence of the Lambs film location: Buffalo Bill's House (buffalobillshouse.com)

Old 12-22-21, 09:16 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Due to some health reasons I didn’t do any Epic rides this year. However, one ride does stick out. Our normal riding group consists of both men and women. One Wednesday night I was the only guy who showed up. The ladies started referring it Bill’s Harem Ride.

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-22-21 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-22-21, 09:30 AM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
your fave ride of 2021? longest? strongest? best company? best moment? personal best? best scenery? first ride post injury/recovery? whatever? combination of any?
what ride stirred you for what ever reasons(s) the most in 2021?

i'll start. an epic, must-do regional climb with oodles of scenery along the route. finally finally hit mt. lemmon, az. scenery on point and performance not great but waay
better than expected after a late night beforehand:

https://www.strava.com/activities/5121837109

and yah, we've got less than a dozen days left in the year. if you don't have a previous ride that jumps out to you, go get it and post.
I’m jealous, the Mt Lemon ride is definitely high on my hit list. Best ride of the year for me is the Concur the Coast which circles Corpus Christi Bay. Its the only day of the year that we can ride across the bridge on the north side of town. The view from the bridge is breath taking and the entire Corpus cycling community gets together so its a huge social meeting for us also.
Likes For N2deep:
Old 12-22-21, 12:58 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
My favorite of the year and also the longest was a 52 miler with about 3,000 feet of gain over rolling and steeper climbs. It involved two ferry rides and lots of water views.

Likes For kahn:
Old 12-22-21, 01:19 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I have so many great memories from this year, but if I had to pick just one ride: 90 mile mixed surface mess of a ride on a drizzly, blustery day with a group of badass adventure riders and racers. It started out way too fast, we kept getting lost, a couple of light crashes occurred, we wound up in people's backyards, horse trails, fast road descents, on fairly techy singletrack, farm tracks, highways etc. Both my bike and myself were covered in mud and horse s%^t by the end. I was soaked to the bone, bonking and mildly hypothermic. It was the best kind of disaster. Everyone was exhausted and laughing at the end.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 12-22-21, 03:29 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by kahn
My favorite of the year and also the longest was a 52 miler with about 3,000 feet of gain over rolling and steeper climbs. It involved two ferry rides and lots of water views.

Heh. My first ever unsupported bike tour started in Seattle. We left the old hostel location and rode a short distance to the Bainbridge Island ferry. Spent the first night at Kitsap park. 92 days later we made it to Bar Harbor, ME.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-22-21, 03:40 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Heh. My first ever unsupported bike tour started in Seattle. We left the old hostel location and rode a short distance to the Bainbridge Island ferry. Spent the first night at Kitsap park. 92 days later we made it to Bar Harbor, ME.
Wasn't that start in the wrong direction?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-22-21, 03:47 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Tour de Big Bear. Wife & I spent several days riding around town before. Weather was perfect & legs felt good. We both had a great time. Spectacular scenery.
Can't ask for much more than that.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 12-22-21, 03:59 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Wasn't that start in the wrong direction?
Seattle was a convenient meeting place. We went north to pick up ACA’s Northern Tier route in Mt. Vernon, WA. We then turned east.
Old 12-22-21, 04:44 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
A lot of them. I am always looking for stuff that will be epic, and I try to make every non-commute ride epic in it’s own way. But, some rides just stand out more than others, but because of my approach, for me there is no one favorite, but there are a few that are worth recalling. It helps that I take a lot of pictures on the bike, and I always upload at least one snap to Strava with every ride that isn’t a commute. So bear with me as I offer up my favorites of ’21, with short descriptions, and links to Strava if you care to see the tracks and photos.

#1) First Century for 2021. Rode the train to Kortrijk, and then proceeded to go up and over a bunch of famous Flandrien cobbled climbs. Yes, Paterberg, Oude Kwaremont, and Koppenberg featured in this torturefest, we finished climbing on the Muur van Gerardsbergen. The weather was sketchy, it had rained for several days, then it cleared in the morning, but the clouds and a light drizzle set in for the return to Brussels. It was perfectly Belgian.
#2) Muur de Huy Century. So the day prior to this I rode a nice metric+ century into Wallonia and on the ride comments a German friend of mine commented that I should go ride the Mur de Huy. Well, the weather the next day was froecastto be beautiful, no wind, sunny, and warm (10°C). So in a spur of the moment, I mapped it, and took off. And let me tell you, 19% for that long is emotional, and then you still have half the ride left…
#3) Highest Point in Belgium. Convinced a buddy of mine who as training to do Race Across France (as Race Across USA qualifier) to go with me. We rode 176km to get too the highest point in Belgium, which is 692m above sea level, but, if you climb the stairs to nowhere, you can stand 700m above sea level.
#4) Belgian exclaves for Frites. The next day, I had a hankering for some frites….and a visit to a part of Belgium that is entirely enclosed within The Netherlands. And it is not just one little enclave, but a series of them, some as small as one or two farm plots! Baale-Hertog they call it, and I visited. We aren’t out of February, yet…I promise it’ll slow down.
#5) First ride with the local club. We take a winter break, the club gets together informally, but not regularly. This was the first ride of the “pre”-season. We were all tired of COVID and really wanted a fast road ride, so we decided to get everyone together and go hammer. It was wet and messy, because it was still winter. But it was so much fun.
#6) KOMing home. First visit to my dad in three years, last time I was there, I buried my mom. I took a KOM I had eyeballed for 4 years…and then I proceeded to bag segment after segment all around my dad’s house for the next 10 days. It started a bit of a ruckus because some of the locals who didn’t know me (because I had moved away over 20 years ago) we’re not too happy at the “losses.” One of them knew me, and told them all to settle down, train harder and go take them back…so far none have been taken, but the clock is ticking…
#7) Back in the Schwarzwald. Had a long weekend, drove to Germany, and rode in the Schwarzwald again with another German friend. It was epic and worth the long drive to get there for it. Next summer, he and I are planning to do a Brussels to Stuttgart (or S->BXL) ride since it is planned to be my last summer in Europe. I love that guy.
#8) Grit! Gravel 130. A local gravel cycling consortium puts on several events each year. With COVID this was the first I could participate in for 2021. 130km, all sorts of surfaces: from tarmac to high quality gravel fire roads to single track and even some sand. It was cool to go ride an organized event.
#9) Rapha Prestige Tisvilde. Denmark! When someone says Denmark is cycling friendly, it’s not words. This ride was amazing. Even more so, my “team” vaporized. Plans changed, and life took over, so I went to Denmark alone to ride this. I hit up the Rapha store in Copenhagen, started a convo with one of the employees, next thing you know, I’m riding with the store! 2 days later we met up on the beach, and set off for a great ride all around northern Hovestaden. It was epically beautiful and fun.

I’m getting exhausted just reliving all of this. And there’s more…maybe another post tomorrow. Thanks for reading, if you clicked on the links, I hope the pictures were worth it.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-22-21, 05:38 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I believe the old hostel was down by the Pike Place Market?

My longest ride was across WA state from Bow-Edison to Newport, ID. Probably the same route you might have taken unless you did Stevens Pass. But your sounds like quite the REAL adventure. We were supported.
Old 12-22-21, 06:07 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by kahn
I believe the old hostel was down by the Pike Place Market?

My longest ride was across WA state from Bow-Edison to Newport, ID. Probably the same route you might have taken unless you did Stevens Pass. But your sounds like quite the REAL adventure. We were supported.
It was way back in ‘99, but I think it was near the Pike Market.

We went up to Concrete then Colonial Creek Campground then over Rainy & Washington Passes in the rain and snow to Winthrop for a much deserved rest day. Only stop in ID was Sandpoint, where we took another rest day.
Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.