Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

'18 Specialized Crux: need help solving creaking BB

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-21-21, 06:31 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts

I can't seem to solve BB creak in my '18 Specialized Crux (PF30 BB, bearings press into frame cups against retaining ring). I'm running Sram Rival 22 PF30 crank. Here's what I've tried:
  • Pressed bearings in dry = bad creaking
  • Pressed bearings in w/ grease = even worse creaking
  • Pressed bearings in w/ blue loctite = less creaking (creaks when pedaling hard, or out of the saddle)
  • Pressed bearings in w/ red lactate = least amount of creaking (still creaks when out of saddle)
In all cases, crankset is torqued to spec, and I've tried varying amounts of preload to see if that would make a difference.

So . . . what's next? New bike?
Old 12-21-21, 08:15 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Pedals, chainring bolts, even cleat bolts- 'cause you know those pesky noises...
Old 12-21-21, 08:16 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Pedals, chainring bolts, even cleat bolts- 'cause you know those pesky noises...
I know it's not cleats (same shoes + different bike = no creaks), but I'll re-torque the pedals and chain ring bolts. Thanks!
Old 12-21-21, 10:26 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Had this issue a while back also. I turned out to be my pedal bearings that were dry and long over due for lube.
Let us know what you discover !
Likes For frogman:
Old 12-21-21, 11:23 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I can't seem to solve BB creak in my '18 Specialized Crux (PF30 BB, bearings press into frame cups against retaining ring). I'm running Sram Rival 22 PF30 crank. Here's what I've tried:
  • Pressed bearings in dry = bad creaking
  • Pressed bearings in w/ grease = even worse creaking
  • Pressed bearings in w/ blue loctite = less creaking (creaks when pedaling hard, or out of the saddle)
  • Pressed bearings in w/ red lactate = least amount of creaking (still creaks when out of saddle)
In all cases, crankset is torqued to spec, and I've tried varying amounts of preload to see if that would make a difference.

So . . . what's next? New bike?
Try a one piece BB like BBinfinite or a thread together BB like wheelsmfg. They can help enforce bearing alignment on a BB shell with poor tolerances.

If you have to try different goop, try an actual bearing retaining compound like loctote 609.

Also make sure the bearings are smooth when installed. Worn bearings can creak.
Old 12-22-21, 01:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
When I accelerate hard I can hear the spokes of my wheels creaking. Maybe yours do the same and just think it's the BB?

IMO, most people think their BB is a issue when it's really not.
Old 12-23-21, 07:11 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
A few years ago I had BB creak that was hard to diagnose - mainly when honking up a slight incline out of the saddle - I was running Chorus with press fit cups holding the sealed bearing in the BB - my mechanic was experimenting with Loctite 660 at the time and suggested we try it - he took out the bearing , smeared a thin coating of the Loctite on each side and then reassembled everything - the next day the hideous creak was gone - if you Google Loctite 660 you can read more about it - red Loctite is a threadlocker , the creaking is a surface to surface issue .

Last edited by blinky; 12-23-21 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-23-21, 04:30 PM
blinky

Here's a pic of the bike parts that were involved with my creaking situation a few years ago - red is the press fit cup or sleeve , green is the crank arm spindle , and yellow is the body of the sealed BB bearing - all Campy chorus - that shiny area between yellow and green is where the Loctite 660 is applied , the cup/sleeve is slid over it , the pair cure overnight , & your ready to go creak free the next day .
Old 12-23-21, 06:39 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

23 Dec update:

Lubed pedals (speedplay)
Tightened pedals
Torqued chain ring bolts

Still creaking.

I'm going to order actual bearing retention compound and give that a shot. It's cheaper than going with a one-piece BB solution.
Old 12-23-21, 09:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Did you check and make sure any quick releases or thru-axles or other bolts and such are all properly lubricated and torqued? I have been in the situation where it was not the bottom bracket it was a dang QR skewer that was slightly loose.

Check all the bolts everywhere, make sure your wheels are properly tensioned, make sure you don't have any worn out bearings and if still creaking and you checked the whole shebang, like others have said try a thread together unit and also get a new bike because N+1 and threaded bottom brackets are so much nicer and a nice titanium gravel bike (or cross bike if you are racing cross) would be a good way to go.
Old 12-24-21, 06:03 AM
blinky

Is this what you have ??
Old 12-24-21, 08:31 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Originally Posted by blinky

Is this what you have ??
Close. The cups are much more shallow -- they are only the depth of the bearing. There's a circlip that keeps the bearing from pressing all the way into the BB area. The entire BB area, aside from the cups, is carbon. The cups appear to be epoxied to the carbon frame.
Old 12-24-21, 08:37 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Did you check and make sure any quick releases or thru-axles or other bolts and such are all properly lubricated and torqued? I have been in the situation where it was not the bottom bracket it was a dang QR skewer that was slightly loose.

Check all the bolts everywhere, make sure your wheels are properly tensioned, make sure you don't have any worn out bearings and if still creaking and you checked the whole shebang, like others have said try a thread together unit and also get a new bike because N+1 and threaded bottom brackets are so much nicer and a nice titanium gravel bike (or cross bike if you are racing cross) would be a good way to go.
Yeah, I've gone over the bike and checked everything; wheels are true/tensioned. This is my n+1 bike! I would have preferred steel, but got a good deal on this bike. Interestingly, my steel Lemond with a PF30 BB hasn't given me any trouble whatsoever . . . .
Likes For RNAV:
Old 12-24-21, 12:31 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by RNAV
Yeah, I've gone over the bike and checked everything; wheels are true/tensioned. This is my n+1 bike! I would have preferred steel, but got a good deal on this bike. Interestingly, my steel Lemond with a PF30 BB hasn't given me any trouble whatsoever . . . .
It sounds like you're experimenting with different compounds anyway so why not give the Loctite 660 a shot , it's meant for any cylindrical metal parts that are touching .

Last edited by blinky; 12-27-21 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-26-21, 02:30 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Creaking may originate in the interface between the spindle and the bearing, if its metal to metal (no plastic sleeve). I had this happen. Grease helps for a while. I've found no lasting solution, sadly. I may try some anti seize compound with solid particles or a moly lube. Its very annoying.