Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I yelled at a cyclist, today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-22, 09:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Why do you keep calling motorists "cagers"?
Originally Posted by Airfehr
You are safe in your enclosure, car, cage. You also miss experiencing the world around you. I know the term from the motorcycle world.
You missed the point.
Old 05-08-22, 09:30 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Maybe because he had drivers roll down their window and throw a basketball at him while he was riding his bike.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-08-22, 09:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Walking around a college campus is pretty interesting. If I didn't dodge them, I'd routinely be crashed into by young people who are deeply engrossed in their cell phones.
Please don’t get me started on them and their phones. I often shop at a large indoor market that is somewhat of a tourist attraction. This time of years there are school field trips and things like volleyball tournaments at the convention center across the street. Countless kids (and parents) with their faces buried in their phones both inside and on the sidewalks.
Old 05-08-22, 09:45 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Please don’t get me started on them and their phones. I often shop at a large indoor market that is somewhat of a tourist attraction. This time of years there are school field trips and things like volleyball tournaments at the convention center across the street. Countless kids (and parents) with their faces buried in their phones both inside and on the sidewalks.
I can tolerate peds with their faces buried in their phones because at least I have enough control to avoid hitting them, what worries me is drivers who have their faces and all their senses buried in their smartphone or their infotainment system.
Old 05-08-22, 09:56 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I can tolerate peds with their faces buried in their phones because at least I have enough control to avoid hitting them, what worries me is drivers who have their faces and all their senses buried in their smartphone or their infotainment system.
As annoying as they are, cyclists are not the major cause of road fatalities.
Old 05-08-22, 10:25 AM
indyfabz

Until you’re standing at a vendor trying to buy a pompano for dinner and one runs into you from the side. Etc. At least it’s not as bad as the time I rode to Mt. Rushmore and walked around. Nearly lost an eye to selfie sticks a couple of times.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-08-22 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-08-22, 11:11 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
There. I defy you to come up with any other plausible interpretation of " the whole story was fabricated."

Yes, I drew reasonable inferences from what op actually posted. No, they are not "ignorant speculation".
You chose to put out an insult of posters on this thread and want to pretend that just because you didn't put names on it, it's unreasonable to react. As far as being triggered, I guess "come after you" means quoting your own generalized insult and showing why it doesn't hold water. Why does that trigger you so much that you end up denying saying things you obviously said?

Hey, don't want an argument? Maybe don't insult people whether or not you identify them by name. It's enough identification that they are people posting on this thread that you either meant to troll a response or you're completely clueless about what happens when you insult people. Your choice.

By his own account, the OP was able to safely pass the cyclist after 1km. OP was very clear what he was claiming was the "safety" concern, and it's not just speculation on my part that the particular concern is transparently implausible. You want to disagree with that opinion, fine.

Also by his own account, OP was "yelling" at the cyclist while passing him. It's my informed opinion as a driver that that is never a safe practice, and I really don't care what the context is. People shouldn't do that.
Lol. I knew you’d be back. You wanna start an Internet Slap-Fight? Let me unpack this mess.

First, I won’t offer an interpretation of “the whole story was fabricated,” because I never said that. You quoted me out of context. I’ve been quoted out of context before. Usually it’s a paragraph out of an entire document or a sentence or two out of a paragraph. But you didn’t even bother to quote the complete sentence. I said “it’s entirely possible the whole story was fabricated.” (post#150, bold added for emphasis). Am I really gonna have to explain to you the difference context makes here? Seriously? I’ve been around here long enough and read enough of your posts to know you’re not that stupid. You’re not. Willfully ignorant? Kinda looks like it.

And speaking of ignorance, you’ve demonstrated a lack of understanding of the word. Ignorant is “lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing.” You’re also unclear on the definition of speculation too. Speculation is “forming a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.” I recommend you consult a dictionary for confirmation.

The OP was an incomplete, one-sided anecdote about an exchange between two people on what I can only assume to be a road in Italy. The OP may have been the hero, may have been the villain, or the entire story may have been fabricated. I said that because it’s true. Such is the nature of a forum post whether here or any other forum. Given the post was incomplete, one- sided and an anecdote, combined with the three options (hero, villain, lie) it’s impossible for you, me or anyone else to make any fact based statements. Attempting to do so is, in fact and based on the definitions cited above, ignorant and speculative. But really, you and I both know that’s not why you’re agitated.

As I stated earlier, I never mentioned you. I never quoted you or challenged anything you posted. Yet you felt compelled to quote me (#129) over my quip about Opinion Police. I won’t go into this because frankly, your reaction to what is apparently an unbearable “insult” speaks far louder and clearer than anything I could provide. Suffice it to say that as of this post there have been ~182 posts and over 2780 views and yet you are the only one taking umbrage. That certainly raises an eyebrow, eh? For further edification I suggest a mirror and perhaps a bit of introspection. I offer the same to anyone who may have felt a twinge of guilt or burden on their conscience as a result of my “insult.” Luckily, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2700+ people managed to read it and feel nothing.

I won’t address the last part of your post because it’s irrelevant. Your Straw Man over “denying things you obviously said,” when I never actually said them is a waste of time. Your attempt to explain or advance your argument has nothing to do with me. You are (again) ignorant, as you know nothing about my thoughts on the OP because I have offered none. I’ll quote myself to protect the integrity of the context - “FACT: I wasn’t there so I can’t comment. Anything I say about the incident would be ignorant speculation.”

And finally, if you’re gonna continue with this petty Internet Slap-Fight, will you please at least do so with honesty? I’ve ignored the thinly veiled ad hominem BS (#161) and your out of context quote (#168), but if that’s gonna be your strategy, what’s the point? And no, I will not be blocking (ignoring) you out of spite. Nor will I be PM’ing you; everyone should be able to enjoy the quality content your posts provide. Now it’s a beautiful day here in the SF Bay Area so I’m going for a ride. I’ll be back in a few hours and we can take up wherever you leave us.
Old 05-08-22, 11:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by kedosto
lol. I knew you’d be back. You wanna start an internet slap-fight? Let me unpack this mess.

First, i won’t offer an interpretation of “the whole story was fabricated,” because i never said that. You quoted me out of context. I’ve been quoted out of context before. Usually it’s a paragraph out of an entire document or a sentence or two out of a paragraph. But you didn’t even bother to quote the complete sentence. I said “it’s entirely possible the whole story was fabricated.” (post#150, bold added for emphasis). Am i really gonna have to explain to you the difference context makes here? Seriously? I’ve been around here long enough and read enough of your posts to know you’re not that stupid. You’re not. Willfully ignorant? Kinda looks like it.

And speaking of ignorance, you’ve demonstrated a lack of understanding of the word. Ignorant is “lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing.” you’re also unclear on the definition of speculation too. Speculation is “forming a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.” i recommend you consult a dictionary for confirmation.

The op was an incomplete, one-sided anecdote about an exchange between two people on what i can only assume to be a road in italy. The op may have been the hero, may have been the villain, or the entire story may have been fabricated. I said that because it’s true. Such is the nature of a forum post whether here or any other forum. Given the post was incomplete, one- sided and an anecdote, combined with the three options (hero, villain, lie) it’s impossible for you, me or anyone else to make any fact based statements. Attempting to do so is, in fact and based on the definitions cited above, ignorant and speculative. But really, you and i both know that’s not why you’re agitated.

As i stated earlier, i never mentioned you. I never quoted you or challenged anything you posted. Yet you felt compelled to quote me (#129) over my quip about opinion police. I won’t go into this because frankly, your reaction to what is apparently an unbearable “insult” speaks far louder and clearer than anything i could provide. Suffice it to say that as of this post there have been ~182 posts and over 2780 views and yet you are the only one taking umbrage. That certainly raises an eyebrow, eh? For further edification i suggest a mirror and perhaps a bit of introspection. I offer the same to anyone who may have felt a twinge of guilt or burden on their conscience as a result of my “insult.” luckily, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2700+ people managed to read it and feel nothing.

I won’t address the last part of your post because it’s irrelevant. Your straw man over “denying things you obviously said,” when i never actually said them is a waste of time. Your attempt to explain or advance your argument has nothing to do with me. You are (again) ignorant, as you know nothing about my thoughts on the op because i have offered none. I’ll quote myself to protect the integrity of the context - “fact: I wasn’t there so i can’t comment. Anything i say about the incident would be ignorant speculation.”

and finally, if you’re gonna continue with this petty internet slap-fight, will you please at least do so with honesty? I’ve ignored the thinly veiled ad hominem bs (#161) and your out of context quote (#168), but if that’s gonna be your strategy, what’s the point? And no, i will not be blocking (ignoring) you out of spite. Nor will i be pm’ing you; everyone should be able to enjoy the quality content your posts provide. Now it’s a beautiful day here in the sf bay area so i’m going for a ride. I’ll be back in a few hours and we can take up wherever you leave us.

tl/dr
Old 05-08-22, 11:19 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

tl/dr
That’s it?! You’re gonna bail out just like that? C’mon man!
Old 05-08-22, 11:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Kedosto
That’s it?! You’re gonna bail out just like that? C’mon man!
No, your first sentence bored me and there's absolutely no chance there's anything interesting in there after you announce you're going full "slap fight".

Go ahead and slap fight yourself.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-08-22, 01:12 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
because they are stuck in a cage while we are free, kinda feel bad for them when they’re stuck in traffic
Old 05-08-22, 01:15 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

No, your first sentence bored me and there's absolutely no chance there's anything interesting in there after you announce you're going full "slap fight".

Go ahead and slap fight yourself.
Well, I’m back a little earlier than anticipated. It was just too damned windy. I hate the wind.

What is it with you quoting me out of context? I didn’t say I was “going full slap fight.” I asked the question “you wanna start an Internet Slap-Fight?” Again, context man, context! Our exchange is your doing, remember? I was asking whether you were looking for a fight. Clearly you aren’t. And we both know you read my post. Every. Single. Word. I don’t know if you realize it, but you’ve proven my point regarding how anything can be posted to a forum, true or not. Thank you.

I have to say I’m a bit disappointed in you. Given your usual Keyboard Machismo I never would has pegged you to collapse and fold faster than an Alibaba lawn chair. Probably for the best anyway, considering my time and your pride.

No worries. Somehow I’m sure we’ll meet again. Have a great day.
Old 05-08-22, 01:17 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Someone pulled up on me on a super steep descent the other day, I was going atleast 40 mph and this lady in a sports car pulled up within a foot from me. Was really scary. I don’t like taking the lane on that road because it slows traffic down, but in that instance it would have protected me from a clueless driver. She didn’t even acknowledge me at the stop sign. I fantasized about hurting her car but I’m kind of a ***** who wouldn’t hurt anything
Old 05-08-22, 01:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,292 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
because they are stuck in a cage while we are free...
Kind of like "cage free" chickens?
Old 05-08-22, 02:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
because they are stuck in a cage while we are free, kinda feel bad for them when they’re stuck in traffic
Do you never ride in a car, Larry?

No, scratch that. Even if you do never ride in a car (which I find nearly impossible to believe), the use of the term “cagers“ still comes off as some kind of ridiculous hipster doofus affectation. In other words, it’s right on point for you.
Old 05-08-22, 03:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

By the same logic, we're stuck on top of a bike on top of a seat post. Should we be called popsicles?

Sometimes I ride, sometimes I drive. I like biking better, but I don't think I'd feel free having to haul groceries on a bike in the middle of my New England winter.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-08-22, 03:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Maybe I am wrong, but I am assuming that you don't have a drivers license ??
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-08-22, 03:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Maybe I am wrong, but I am assuming that you don't have a drivers license ??

My guess is if he did, he would probably end up in a different kind of cage, if you catch my drift.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-08-22, 04:57 PM
indyfabz

Based on all your cycling related issues, you portrayed yourself as anything but “free.”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-08-22, 07:51 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
collapse and fold faster than an Alibaba lawn chair.
now that's damn funny.
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-08-22, 08:08 PM
indyfabz

I yelled at clouds all weekend.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-08-22, 08:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
I gave shifty eyes to a tree.
Old 05-09-22, 04:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I yelled at clouds all weekend.

I refused to argue with a bore.
Old 05-09-22, 08:56 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

I had a run-in with a cowardly moron, but he ran away.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 05-09-22, 09:14 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I yell at a cyclist every day to keep myself feeling good. Besides, if they never get yelled at, they would never appreciate how good non-yelled at days feel. Just a public service.

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.