Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

199? Diamant Frameset

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

199? Diamant Frameset

Old 05-14-22, 07:20 PM
600RD 

Bikes: Merlin Titanium, Scapin KS Pro, Marin Pine F.R.S., Marin Rift Zone 2, State All-Road Black

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
199? Diamant Frameset - ID help please

Hi,

I recently found this interesting look Diamant frameset on eBay and was hoping to get some more information if anyone has any.

Here's what I do know:
  • The frame has a number hanger suggesting it could be a pro or team frame
  • It's most likely a Columbus Nivacrom tubeset, or something from that era, as the downtube has a very aero shaped, OS profile. It's a very thin gauge.
  • I believe there are two Diamant brands, one is Belgian (this one) and another is German. The latter was purchased by Trek in 2002
  • Serial number is A856016
  • It came with a Record bottom bracket and possible headset (decals have been removed/polished off but the top nut is Campy)
  • The fork is...interesting. It's aluminum. bladed, oversized and very "aero".
Please find a photo below:

If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated!

Last edited by 600RD; 05-14-22 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Added context
Old 05-15-22, 02:35 AM
DanseMacabre

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 43 Posts
A lot (all?) Belgium Diamant frames were built by Martelly.
https://www.martelly.be/
He built frames for a lot of smaller brands in Belgium and the Netherlands, like Cornelo and some from the Dutch brand Union. I really enjoy their paintwork, Diamant and Martelly are often really nice looking. Very much racing bikes, not much for touring I assume.
I heard you can contact him and ask about an old frame you have and he does sometimes reply with some information.

In Belgium they are widely available second hand. Jus look here:
Martelly on 2dehands.be
And here:
Diamant on 2dehands.be
Old 05-15-22, 07:38 AM
600RD 

Bikes: Merlin Titanium, Scapin KS Pro, Marin Pine F.R.S., Marin Rift Zone 2, State All-Road Black

Originally Posted by DanseMacabre
A lot (all?) Belgium Diamant frames were built by Martelly.
https://www.martelly.be/
He built frames for a lot of smaller brands in Belgium and the Netherlands, like Cornelo and some from the Dutch brand Union. I really enjoy their paintwork, Diamant and Martelly are often really nice looking. Very much racing bikes, not much for touring I assume.
I heard you can contact him and ask about an old frame you have and he does sometimes reply with some information.

In Belgium they are widely available second hand. Jus look here:
Martelly on 2dehands.be
And here:
Diamant on 2dehands.be
Thanks for all of this great information! I'll send him an email
Old 05-15-22, 12:49 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by 600RD
Thanks for all of this great information! I'll send him an email
I emailed Martelly a few years ago about a frame of his that i have and got a response within 24 hours.

Excellent at giving you bike information.
Old 05-15-22, 02:20 PM
600RD 

Originally Posted by Manny66
I emailed Martelly a few years ago about a frame of his that i have and got a response within 24 hours.

Excellent at giving you bike information.
He did just that!

The mystery deepens though. He said that he made many dozens of welded frames for Diamant but that all of them had polished welds, unlike this example :/ . He said he doesn't know anything about this frame.

I assume that he and his team didn't manufacture all of the Diamant frames. I wonder if this one was after their contract was up. To his point, it seems like QA was not great, even though these appear to be relatively high end tubes.
Old 05-16-22, 06:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Really neat paint and some cool design touches on the frame. That fork though...huh.
I bet this would rock a steel chrome fork really well.
Old 05-17-22, 10:09 PM
600RD 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Really neat paint and some cool design touches on the frame. That fork though...huh.
I bet this would rock a steel chrome fork really well.
Agreed…it’s really awful and I think it weight as much if not more than a chromoly fork would. I’ll keep an eye out for one. I know VO sells them as well.