Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to remove shellacked bar tape?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 07:24 PM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok never encountered this one before (just lucky)

This bar tape on this aluminum bar set form the 1981 is cloth tape with shellac, or who knows what Fuji used. Peeling this stuff off by hand will take days.

Quick solutions? Battery acid? These are Nitto bars , worth saving.
Old 12-12-10, 07:30 PM
knewbike
I am not a deer

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1984 Fuji touring series IV

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shellac can be removed with denatured alcohol.
Old 12-12-10, 07:38 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Rubbing alcohol will soften the shellac.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 12-12-10, 08:29 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You want to be careful with the type of alcohol you use when softening a brush that has had shellac hardened on it, or softening a shellaced surface that you want to keep nice. Alcohol with too much water in it will make the shellac haze up. If you are not trying to save the surface, it is not so important what type of alcohol you use.
Old 12-12-10, 08:36 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Why will it take days?

There are two ways - either take a razor and go from center to end, then start peeling, or start at the finish end and just unroll. I've done it a number of times either way, and it takes all of 5 minutes. Max.
Likes For mickey85:
Old 12-12-10, 09:14 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
Why will it take days?

There are two ways - either take a razor and go from center to end, then start peeling, or start at the finish end and just unroll. I've done it a number of times either way, and it takes all of 5 minutes. Max.
This was my experience as well. Unless someone got sloppy putting it on, this should do it - and possibly a bit of alcohol on a green scrub pad to clean up the residue under the tape if the shellac was super-saturated.
Old 12-12-10, 09:43 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I agree with the cut-and-peel advice, alcohol will leave you with a sticky and nasty mess that you still have to cut and peel. Save the alcohol for cleaning up the mostly-bare aluminum.
Old 12-13-10, 08:17 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by IknowURider
Quick solutions? Battery acid? These are Nitto bars , worth saving.
Worth saving? In what scenario do you ruin bars by removing tape? Is the battery acid suggestion a joke? I don't follow.

I believe you are over thinking this one. I always run a razor blade along the underside of the bars.
Old 12-14-10, 07:50 AM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Try using GoofOff.
Old 12-14-10, 08:33 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Cloth tape with shellac should peel right off and leave nothing behind. I stripped some bars last night. I didn't cut the tape, I unwound it. It may have taken all of three minutes. Stop overthinking and just do it.
Old 12-14-10, 09:47 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had old gummed up tape on some bars, but it wasn't complete, so I just went over it with a wire wheel on the bench grinder. All glue and residue gone in 5 minutes.
Old 12-16-10, 08:37 PM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Cloth tape with shellac should peel right off and leave nothing behind. I stripped some bars last night. I didn't cut the tape, I unwound it. It may have taken all of three minutes. Stop overthinking and just do it.
I tried the usual razor blade method, unravelling with needle nose plyers etc. This is bar tape from the Fuji factory from 1981. It is incredibly stuck on. Serious attic baked-on mummification. The brake hoods were completely melted, like dripping/gooey.

You practically have to stand on the bars to get the tape off, and then it tears off in 1 CM bits and pieces, enough to make you insane. This could be a time consumer. I may just freak out and whittle it off with a hunting knife, but I don't enjoy making accidental cuts in aluminum bars.
Old 12-16-10, 09:55 PM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried the usual razor blade method, unravelling with needle nose plyers etc. This is bar tape from the Fuji factory from 1981. It is incredibly stuck on. Serious attic baked-on mummification. The brake hoods were completely melted, like dripping/gooey.

You practically have to stand on the bars to get the tape off, and then it tears off in 1 CM bits and pieces, enough to make you insane. This could be a time consumer. I may just freak out and whittle it off with a hunting knife, but I don't enjoy making accidental cuts in aluminum bars.
In that case get a gallon of denatured alcohol and a dishpan or something so that you can soak the bar. It will dissolve the shellac.

On second thought, make sure it's shellac by wetting a bit with alcohol. If it doesn't start to dissolve it may be lacquer.
Old 12-16-10, 10:48 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
How much can one say about this subject? Cut, rip, clean.
Old 12-17-10, 12:26 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Try spraying a light mist of denatured alcohol on a section, give it 3-4 minutes, and see if that improves the removal. Gradually work up the quantity and the time it sits until you find a technique that works well.

One thing you will want to avoid is having any shellac dripping onto any other bike parts (frame, rim, brake calipers, etc.). It's a real pain to remove. (Don't ask me how I know this.)
Old 12-17-10, 02:15 PM
IknowURider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, I'll try that. I'm thinking paint remover would probably be the stuff. I am just leery about accidentally gouging aluminum bars, a slit becomes a crack... If these were crappy aluminum bars or steel, I'd probably be ripping away with a serrated edge kitchen knife...
Old 07-29-19, 10:37 AM
justinsdrake

Bikes: 85 Schwinn Cimarron, Soma San Marcos, Yuba Mundo e-cargo bike, ratty old hard tail 29er and I stare at my wife's 87 Sequoia that she does not ride

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know its an old thread, but best one I can find. Any tips on removing shellacked tape from a frame? Bad decision. I know. But need help with removing it without destroying the powder coat underneath. Thanks!
Old 07-29-19, 11:00 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by justinsdrake
I know its an old thread, but best one I can find. Any tips on removing shellacked tape from a frame? Bad decision. I know. But need help with removing it without destroying the powder coat underneath. Thanks!
Shellacked tape over powder coat? Have you tried just pulling it off? That's normally all that is required, at least for handlebars.

Borax solution will dissolve shellac, nearly as well as alcohol. Works best with warm or hot water, but even cold it will still dissolve shellac over time. Maybe soak some rags and wrap around the tape for a soak? Might take a few hours or more.

As always with this sort of thing, test the finish first to make sure that the borax solution doesn't eat the powder coat.
Old 07-29-19, 01:35 PM
jpdemers

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, on nicer wheels.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Serious attic baked-on mummification. The brake hoods were completely melted, like dripping/gooey.
You're dealing with heavily oxidized materials here - chemically very different from what was originally present. The shellac will be a hard, insoluble, crosslinked polymer. The tape itself is likely to be brittle, so it breaks apart rather than peeling off.
A commercial paint stripper might soften up the shellac, enough to make removal easier. Scrape with a plastic blade of some sort (putty knife) if you're worried about the finish on the bars.