Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Asplosion Heard Around the World??**TdF Spoiler**

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 01:44 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last edited by UnfilteredDregs; 07-14-14 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-14-14, 01:45 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess he hit a pothole or a stone.
Old 07-14-14, 01:46 PM
GamecockTaco
You rode how far???

Bikes: '96 Trek 830; 06 Cervelo Soloist, 06 Scott Scale 70, 2013 Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
guessing the sun finally came out!
Old 07-14-14, 02:00 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Geez, I've been waiting and waiting on this thread.

Attached Images
Old 07-14-14, 02:03 PM
Flyingblind9

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 5 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad food in the middle of a ride??
Old 07-14-14, 02:03 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
BOOM

Old 07-14-14, 02:10 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Someone might want to post the words possible spoiler in the thread tittle.

It's bound to happen
Old 07-14-14, 02:14 PM
egear

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Salsa Pistola, Surly 1x1, All-City Nature Boy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I keep reading a discussion about how Specialized claims thew bike was run over by a car or something. Another rider said Contador suddenly went down right in front of him so I am thinking the frame failed and not the car that rode over it. This should be an interesting discussion.
Scary looking isnt it. I love steel!!!
Old 07-14-14, 02:16 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I bet he didn't buy that bike from his LBS. Damn counterfeiters.
Old 07-14-14, 02:17 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Looks to me like the front wheel hit something with enough force to snap the downtube and toptube. It doesn't look like a car drove over it.
Old 07-14-14, 02:18 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This came by on the live feed just before the end of the stage:

Questioned by letour.fr, Tinkoff-Saxo's directeur sportif Philippe Mauduit who jumped in the second team car to let a free seat to Alberto Contador after his retirement explained: “Alberto badly crashed. His right knee is seriously injured. The crash has been violent. I have his shoe with me, it's completely destroyed. According to some rumors, his bike has been broken but that's not the case. A bike fell from our racks after we fixed Nicolas Roche's bike. It's obviously too early to establish a diagnostic for Alberto. Once he'll reach the finish, he'll undergo an x-ray examination. Before pulling out, he told us that he was in an awful pain and he couldn't go any further on his bike. It's a pity because everything had gone well since the beginning of the Tour. We had a plan and today's race was unfolding exactly as we wanted. In a fraction of a second, it all fell apart, so we're immensely sad. Tomorrow, it's a rest day. After tomorrow, a new battle will begin. We'll stay united and a new Tour de France will begin for us.”
Old 07-14-14, 02:19 PM
macjager

Bikes: Domane 4.3 and Trek Crockett 5 disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
BOOM

probably get it on eBay cheap...
Old 07-14-14, 02:19 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asian frames are ruining perfectly american names!
Old 07-14-14, 02:21 PM
RIRview

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2 Project One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Looks to me like the front wheel hit something with enough force to snap the downtube and toptube. It doesn't look like a car drove over it.

That would be a hell of a hard hit to do that much damage--a pothole or stone wouldn't do that. Besides, if it was a huge pothole, one of the other riders would have seen it.
Old 07-14-14, 02:23 PM
Lazyass

Sounds like the frame snapped when he hit a pothole or something, but of course they can't come out and say that.

Initial reports on the Tour’s race radio, in French, and by NBC Sports’ Steve Porino, that Contador’s bike was “in pieces,” appear to be correct. “His frame snapped in half. They threw it in a heap in the back of the car,” Porino said, noting that he had arrived shortly after the crash.

Contador’s bike broke in the lower third of his down tube and on the top tube just in front of his seat tube. Both tubes were broken clean through, with just a few fibers holding the two pieces of the frame together.

How those failures occurred, though, is not entirely clear.

Specialized, Tinkoff-Saxo’s bike sponsor, initially denied reports that Contador’s bike had broken at all, either resulting in or as a result of the crash, or via some other externality. The company first stated that a bike had fallen off the roof of a car. That story was then amended — it still involved a car, but instead stated that Nicolas Roche’s bike had been run over earlier in the stage. This broken bike was the start of the rumors, it said.

“We have spoken to Alberto’s brother as well as his personal mechanic (Faustino Muñoz) and the mechanic who was at the scene (Rune Kristensen), and contrary to some early, unconfirmed reports, frame failure was not involved in Alberto’s incident today. Nicolas Roche was involved in a separate incident today and while his bike was laying on the road it was run over by a car causing it to break, potentially giving rise to the initial inaccurate reporting,” the original statement read.

But the photos do not lie. Contador is #31, and his race number is on the broken frame. The Roche incident relayed in this statement may be entirely factual, but it is clear that Contador’s bike broke as well.

Specialized later corrected itself again, stating that Contador’s bike that had been run over. A source within the team who was present at the scene of the crash explained that Contador’s mechanic, Faustino Munoz, grabbed his backup bike off the roof, then, seeing the condition of Contador, rushed to his aid, leaving the bike against the team car. The team car drove off and crushed the bike. Photos were taken, and the broken bike story took off.

The alternative potential explanation, of course, is that Contador’s bike broke on impact with a large pothole.

Read more at Details of Alberto Contador's Tour-ending crash - VeloNews.com
Old 07-14-14, 02:24 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by RIRview
That would be a hell of a hard hit to do that much damage--a pothole or stone wouldn't do that. Besides, if it was a huge pothole, one of the other riders would have seen it.
He was descending very fast.
Old 07-14-14, 02:29 PM
RIRview

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2 Project One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Sounds like the frame snapped when he hit a pothole or something, but of course they can't come out and say that.

Initial reports on the Tour’s race radio, in French, and by NBC Sports’ Steve Porino, that Contador’s bike was “in pieces,” appear to be correct. “His frame snapped in half. They threw it in a heap in the back of the car,” Porino said, noting that he had arrived shortly after the crash.

Contador’s bike broke in the lower third of his down tube and on the top tube just in front of his seat tube. Both tubes were broken clean through, with just a few fibers holding the two pieces of the frame together.

How those failures occurred, though, is not entirely clear.

Specialized, Tinkoff-Saxo’s bike sponsor, initially denied reports that Contador’s bike had broken at all, either resulting in or as a result of the crash, or via some other externality. The company first stated that a bike had fallen off the roof of a car. That story was then amended — it still involved a car, but instead stated that Nicolas Roche’s bike had been run over earlier in the stage. This broken bike was the start of the rumors, it said.

“We have spoken to Alberto’s brother as well as his personal mechanic (Faustino Muñoz) and the mechanic who was at the scene (Rune Kristensen), and contrary to some early, unconfirmed reports, frame failure was not involved in Alberto’s incident today. Nicolas Roche was involved in a separate incident today and while his bike was laying on the road it was run over by a car causing it to break, potentially giving rise to the initial inaccurate reporting,” the original statement read.

But the photos do not lie. Contador is #31, and his race number is on the broken frame. The Roche incident relayed in this statement may be entirely factual, but it is clear that Contador’s bike broke as well.

Specialized later corrected itself again, stating that Contador’s bike that had been run over. A source within the team who was present at the scene of the crash explained that Contador’s mechanic, Faustino Munoz, grabbed his backup bike off the roof, then, seeing the condition of Contador, rushed to his aid, leaving the bike against the team car. The team car drove off and crushed the bike. Photos were taken, and the broken bike story took off.

The alternative potential explanation, of course, is that Contador’s bike broke on impact with a large pothole.

Read more at Details of Alberto Contador's Tour-ending crash - VeloNews.com

Specialized is doing some serious PR spin on this one.
Old 07-14-14, 02:36 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
And look at his kit. Obviously got that from some cheap counterfeiter too, some of the letters are backwards.

Avoid the LBS at your peril kids.
Old 07-14-14, 02:37 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looks like a bike that has been run over to me.
Old 07-14-14, 02:40 PM
Lazyass

Could be a backup bike run over. But I would like to see the bike that crashed at 60kph if that isn't it.
Old 07-14-14, 02:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by RIRview
Specialized is doing some serious PR spin on this one.
Watch what you say. I hear they have some serious lawyers on their side.
Old 07-14-14, 02:53 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Looks like a defective/badly made frame which simply cracked upon impact with something. Specialized will do all they can to cover this up. They don't need this publicity. Do they make custom frames for Contador and not simply give him off-the-shelf ones?
Old 07-14-14, 03:00 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
This is so much BS. Nobody knows the true situation, but everybody is spouting off as if they do. Give it a rest until you know what's what. As for me I will believe the official story. Life is too short for stupid conspiracy theories.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-14-14, 03:01 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Who knows what really happened. However, Specialized changing their story 2 or 3 times after more pictures surfaced isn't doing them any good.
This thread already has the good phrases:
eBay
Chinese
Cheap
coverup
and off course Asplosion. How can you not read a thread with a title like this one?
Old 07-14-14, 03:03 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
This is so much BS. Nobody knows the true situation, but everybody is spouting off as if they do. Give it a rest until you know what's what. As for me I will believe the official story. Life is too short for stupid conspiracy theories.
Relax, turbo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.