Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are Shimano Roller Brakes 100% upward-compatible?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-22, 01:13 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello,

A friend of mine rides a Dutch bike. The front brake is getting old and squeals when braking, even after adding some Shimano grease.

I can't read the model, and it might be a 41 or 45, ie. on the weaker side.

I'm thinking of ordering the strongest in the line, the C6000.

But before, I need confiirmation from an experienced user that they are 100% compatible, and I'll just need to 1) unhook the cable, 2) replace the brake, and 3) rehook the cable.

Thank you.

--
Edit: It appears it's available in two versions (9/10mm axle), so I'll first need to remove it from the bike to check before ordering :-/

Last edited by Winfried; 10-13-22 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-13-22, 09:58 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Hello,

A friend of mine rides a Dutch bike. The front brake is getting old and squeals when braking, even after adding some Shimano grease.

I can't read the model, and it might be a 41 or 45, ie. on the weaker side.

I'm thinking of ordering the strongest in the line, the C6000.

But before, I need confiirmation from an experienced user that they are 100% compatible, and I'll just need to 1) unhook the cable, 2) replace the brake, and 3) rehook the cable.

Thank you.

--
Edit: It appears it's available in two versions (9/10mm axle), so I'll first need to remove it from the bike to check before ordering :-/
your link notes it has a new lever ratio so may not give same braking with out a lever upgrade?
  • With new brake lever ratio BL-C6010

interesting called roller but looks like disc but am not all all familiar with these

Old 10-13-22, 10:08 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I would just chuck the whole boat anchor hub. My new roadster came with them. My expectations were confirmed. They are just plain stupid. This bike was soon refitted with my SA drum wheels, like I was planning from the start.
Get a SA drum brake hub, better yet a dyno XL-FDD. My first one has 29,000 miles including 8,100 on tour with a 120 lb bike.
ZERO drag and NO service needed. This old one works 100% the same as my new one.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-13-22 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-14-22, 04:32 AM
Winfried

Thanks for the input. The bike already has a dynohub, and I don't want to bother building a new wheel.

Thanks also about the lever that needs to be changed too.
Old 10-15-22, 08:01 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
interesting called roller but looks like disc but am not all all familiar with these
The thing that looks like a disc is actually a heat sink (or perhaps more correctly, a radiator).
Old 10-15-22, 09:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
The thing that looks like a disc is actually a heat sink (or perhaps more correctly, a radiator).
thanks, always learning here

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-16-22, 08:14 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Here's my "winter" bike. The roller brake solved the problem of rapid rim wear from abrasives in the environment (salt and slush). It's not as strong as a well-adjusted V-brake, but adequate for a rear brake.

After a while, the rear brake's heat sink is corroded enough that few observers think it's a disk brake!
Likes For sweeks:
Old 10-16-22, 04:18 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by Winfried
Assuming the original is also a Shimano roller brake, I think you can make the upgrade. I have 2 bikes with Shimano roller brakes (on the rear); one is the model shown in the image I posted earlier, and the other is an "entry level" model, as Sheldon Brown's site calls it... no heat sink/radiator. They are both interchangeable.
About the heat sink: in normal operation, I have never noticed any heat generation. I think the version with the radiator may not be necessary unless you're doing a lot of downhill braking.
Old 10-17-22, 10:19 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Assuming the original is also a Shimano roller brake, I think you can make the upgrade. I have 2 bikes with Shimano roller brakes (on the rear); one is the model shown in the image I posted earlier, and the other is an "entry level" model, as Sheldon Brown's site calls it... no heat sink/radiator. They are both interchangeable.
About the heat sink: in normal operation, I have never noticed any heat generation. I think the version with the radiator may not be necessary unless you're doing a lot of downhill braking.
They most certainly DO generate a lot of heat and hold it. Their instructions say do not touch for 30 minutes. LOL.
Old 10-17-22, 07:32 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
They most certainly DO generate a lot of heat and hold it. Their instructions say do not touch for 30 minutes. LOL.
Yeah, 30 minutes seems a bit long; even if it was red-hot it wouldn't take 30 minutes to cool off.
Old 12-21-22, 11:55 AM
Winfried

Confusingly, the C6000 is available in different models.

Am I correct in understanding the only difference is the washer, and if I order the wrong one, I could always re-use the existing washer from the IM-x model currently on the bike?
  • 3/8", M9, M10 : inner diameter of the washer?
  • 7,2mm/8,2mm : outter diameter?
  • 3.5/4mm = width?

--

Edit: Besides being available as plain brakes "-F/R" or "-F/R-DX" (whatever that means), the axle is indeed available in three different diameters (3/8", M9, M10) and the washer in five (!) different thicknesses (3,5,mm, 4mm, 7,2mm, 8,2mm 9,7mm)

Last edited by Winfried; 12-21-22 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-21-22, 10:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Unsure about compatibility issues but a couple of comments.

First it is rare that only a cable release and reattachment is only what's needed when replacing the brake, be it a rim acting or hub mounted type. Between wear, "found condition" and wanted function to not assume some bit of cable adjusting, at the least, is going in blind.

Second is that roller brakes are not intended to supply strong braking, unless the conditions make other designs suffer (like a rim brake in the rain). They are nearly only speced on transportation, commuting and treking bikes that side on the slow and sturdy side of the performance fence. These uses typically prioritize all weather efficiency and long life over max stopping abilities. Andy
Old 12-22-22, 02:17 AM
Winfried

Thanks for the infos.

I know those brakes are not meant for steep descents, but the bike owner didn't have the money to get a higher end cargo bike so had to settle for a Bakfiets.

However, an experienced tinkerer who lives in the Alps told me going from the original IM-4x to the C6000 — the strongest in the lineup — made a serious difference in braking power. Besides, they're compatible, and don't cost an arm.

One site that sells those told me that getting the wrong washers (axle/thickness) doesn't matter if the bike already has Roller Brakes, as you can just reuse the existing parts.

I'll report back when the owner has done the switcheroo.