Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Emergency braking will wreck your tyres instantly?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Emergency braking will wreck your tyres instantly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-22, 08:09 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
You misunderstood me. I said use the front brake only, don't touch the rear brake.
I beg to disagree.
Originally Posted by Yan
Experienced cyclist riding on asphalt pretty much never use their rear brakes.
Street rider for 64 years here ("experienced"). I use my rear brake all the time; just never enough to skid the rear tire.
Originally Posted by Yan
I urban commute and touch my rear brake less than five times a year.
20 years of daily commuting (25,000 miles) in Chicago. I use my rear brake almost every time I use the front brake. I've learned how much to use each brake to get optimal stopping.
Originally Posted by Yan
The rear brake doesn't slow you down. When you apply it, your rear tire starts sliding.
The rear brake certainly doesn't provide as much stopping power as the front. But it contributes some stopping power, and will not make your rear wheel slide if you learn how to use it.

Here are a couple graphs from the book, Bicycling Science, 4th Edition, by David Wilson and Theodor Schmidt (MIT Press; Cambridge, MA 2020). These are from a study by J. Lieh published in Human Power eJournal in 2013 using a computer model.

Briefly, for an upright bicycle, maximal braking is achieved using both front and rear brakes optimally; however, the advantage over the front brake only is small. The book indicates the rear brake contributes only about 10% of the braking force. For a recumbent bike, the difference is quite large, with both front and rear brakes used together providing the shortest stopping time.

This is the graph for an upright bike. A small advantage accrues from use of both brakes together.

Quite a difference on a recumbent.
Old 10-24-22, 09:24 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
which is less expensive.. a tire or a hospital bill? and that tire looks like a piece of garbage.... Meanwhile, the charts and dictionaries are getting dragged out..RUN! HIDE!

Guys..the OP has responded ONCE to Defend himself.. let it drop, ok?
Old 10-24-22, 10:25 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Briefly, for an upright bicycle, maximal braking is achieved using both front and rear brakes optimally; however, the advantage over the front brake only is small. The book indicates the rear brake contributes only about 10% of the braking force.
It says in the graph that when using both brakes instead of front brake only, the stopping time from 50km/h to zero is improved from 1.95 to 1.9 seconds.

That supports my view of using the front brake only, no? With that kind of microscopic difference what's the point?

Stopping from 50 km/h to zero is less than two seconds is some kind of balls to the wall braking...
Likes For Yan:
Old 10-24-22, 11:00 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Experienced cyclist riding on asphalt pretty much never use their rear brakes.
What twaddle. There are lots of circumstances where rear braking is better - for example descending winding mountain roads - braking with the front screws up the bike handling around the switchbacks. Experienced cyclists know this.

Originally Posted by Yan
It says in the graph that when using both brakes instead of front brake only, the stopping time from 50km/h to zero is improved from 1.95 to 1.9 seconds.
With that kind of microscopic difference what's the point?
Not every braking move is an emergency stop, that's the difference.
Old 10-24-22, 11:47 PM
Yan 

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
What twaddle. There are lots of circumstances where rear braking is better - for example descending winding mountain roads - braking with the front screws up the bike handling around the switchbacks. Experienced cyclists know this.

Not every braking move is an emergency stop, that's the difference.
You shouldn't be braking around switchbacks. Brake before the turn and then accelerate through the turn. The rear brake is for heat management in long descents, for low traction scenarios, and for backup in case your front brake fails. It's not there to be used on a daily basis. Most people do not do mountain pass descents when commuting. If you do you are in the extreme minority.

About you second point: if it works for emergency braking then it works even better for regular braking. Why work your right hand when it is making such little contribution to stopping power? Just relax and let that hand rest, be kind to your body parts.

Last edited by Yan; 10-24-22 at 11:54 PM.
Likes For Yan:
Old 10-25-22, 04:30 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

That supports my view of using the front brake only, no? With that kind of microscopic difference what's the point?

Stopping from 50 km/h to zero is less than two seconds is some kind of balls to the wall braking...
To be fair, it was a computer simulation, and that graph was for a specific frame/mass bike (specs at the top of the graph). Yes, the reduction wasn't much.
Feel free to not use the rear brake!
Old 10-25-22, 04:13 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
You shouldn't be braking around switchbacks. Brake before the turn and then accelerate through the turn. The rear brake is for heat management in long descents, for low traction scenarios, and for backup in case your front brake fails. It's not there to be used on a daily basis. Most people do not do mountain pass descents when commuting. If you do you are in the extreme minority.

About you second point: if it works for emergency braking then it works even better for regular braking. Why work your right hand when it is making such little contribution to stopping power? Just relax and let that hand rest, be kind to your body parts.
1. Braking around switchbacks is sometimes necessary and all riders should know how to do it. Your response is twaddle.
2. This thread is not exclusively about commuting. Your response is irrelevant.
3. Your advice about non-emergency braking is pabulum.

I apologize for being blunt - I've had a lot of robo-calling telemarketers trying to sell me all manner of baloney today and my otherwise genial nature has soured somewhat.
Old 10-25-22, 04:21 PM
Yan 

1. Braking around switchbacks is sometimes necessary and all riders should know how to do it. Your response is twaddle.

I apologize for being blunt - I've had a lot of robo-calling telemarketers trying to sell me all manner of baloney today and my otherwise genial nature has soured somewhat.
No problem, no offense taken.

You clearly have a lot of opinions. You think I'm wrong, I think you're wrong, simple as that. No doubt both of us are experienced cyclists and our experiences have led us to different conclusions. I have no problem with that and how you operate your bike is not my concern.

We have both presented our respective views and the OP is now able to read and make up his own mind. Ultimately using one vs both brakes makes basically no difference to stopping distance, so the entire topic is simply trivial. The end.

For anyone else who wishes to read more about one vs both wheel braking: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Last edited by Yan; 10-25-22 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-25-22, 10:53 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts

After 3 childish posts from "them", it was ignore list.
Their ignorance is deafening or they are a inept troll.
Old 10-26-22, 09:15 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
After 3 childish posts from "them", it was ignore list.
Their ignorance is deafening or they are a inept troll.
LOL! Bill Kapaun and his almost-famous “ignore” button strikes again! He’s gonna ignore himself right out of the forum!
Old 10-26-22, 09:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
LOL! Bill Kapaun and his almost-famous “ignore” button strikes again! He’s gonna ignore himself right out of the forum!
Careful there. You’re going to be asked to leave a very exclusive club and forced to join the rest of us
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-26-22, 09:38 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Careful there. You’re going to be asked to leave a very exclusive club and forced to join the rest of us
The only time you get off the list is when Bill sees you quoted by someone not on his list. Then curiosity gets the best of him, and he unignores you to see what you said. There are so many people on his ignore list the chances of that happening are slim.

A day without Bill K. shouting to the world that he’s adding someone to his ignore list is like a day without sunshine!
Old 10-26-22, 03:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by kwb377
The theory behind ABS is vehicle control, not maximum braking. ABS allows one to maintain steering control, but it increases stopping distance. Maximum braking/minimum stopping distance is achieved via threshold braking (the point just before lock-up)...ABS takes the vehicle to the point of threshold braking, then releases the brakes momentarily, then reapplies, then releases, etc.
The huge, vast, massive majority of drivers have no idea what threshold braking is nor can they get anywhere near it with a passenger car on public road much less a track car on a closed circuit. While your post is true, 99.99999999999% of the people on the road will be able to stop faster and more in control with ABS.