Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Has anyone replaced the rear hub bearing on a '18 Specialized Diverge ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-22, 09:42 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

Has anyone replaced the rear hub bearing on a Specialized Diverge?
Do I remove the freewheel first? If so, what tool do should I use? I don't think anyone makes a hex wrench this big.
(

I'm thinking of servicing the freewheel also)
Old 12-06-22, 10:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Hex wrenches are made in huge sizes. The bike industry offerings generally stop at 11mm but a good industrial supplier should have much larger ones. Not that I think you need a 22mm one

I think you have a cassette mounted on a freehub body, not a freewheel. What I can't say from the poor images is what type of bearing your hub uses. If the hub is a cup and cone design the freehub body likely also has C&C bearings and usually these get flushed with solvent and relubed with a medium weight oil. If the FH body had cartridge bearings than these are usually just replaced, instead of cleaned and lubed. Andy
Old 12-06-22, 11:54 PM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Hex wrenches are made in huge sizes. The bike industry offerings generally stop at 11mm but a good industrial supplier should have much larger ones. Not that I think you need a 22mm one

I think you have a cassette mounted on a freehub body, not a freewheel. What I can't say from the poor images is what type of bearing your hub uses. If the hub is a cup and cone design the freehub body likely also has C&C bearings and usually these get flushed with solvent and relubed with a medium weight oil. If the FH body had cartridge bearings than these are usually just replaced, instead of cleaned and lubed. Andy
The bearings are cartridge bearings. I was able to remove the one on the non-drive side. I wasn't able to remove the one on the freehub side (The side covered with green tape to keep me from losing the bushing) ) There isn't any access to drive the bearing out. If I find a big hex tomorrow, I'm tempted to service the freehub.
Old 12-07-22, 12:00 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
????

Cartridge bearing, just need a bearing press/extractor, where do you get the idea you need a hex wrench for that for?
Old 12-07-22, 10:01 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Most all the FH bodied and cartridge bearinged hubs I have dealt with require the FH body to be removed to gain access to the drive side axle bearing. I believe this is why the OP is talking about removing th4e FH body. Given the cartridge axle bearings I would expect that the FH body bearings are also of the cartridge type. Often these are fitted to the FH body with a tighter press fit (than what the axle/hub shell bearings have). I have found that warming the FH body in your oven (about 200* and for around 15 minutes) will help with both the removal and reinstall. However of all the bearings on a bike the FH body ones are the ones I do as little as possible. Once the FH body is removed from the hub shell (and some are LH threaded, some have the wrench engaging from the back side too) I use the end of my finger to spin the FH body bearings, one at a time, to discern their condition. Only if one or both feel rough will I go to the trouble to remove them. Andy
Old 12-07-22, 09:39 PM
AJW2W11E

Thanks for your help Mr. Stewart.