Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Convert Specialized drop handlebar to riser

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-22, 07:19 AM
jimhillhome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, i am converting a specialized drop bar to riser. Can anyone direct me to brake/shifters levers i should look at? seven speed, 2 cog.
Old 12-03-22, 10:20 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Can't really make a reliable recommendation without knowing what kind of brakes (disc? caliper?) and the brand/model of the derailleurs.
Old 12-03-22, 10:47 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Assuming this bike had Shimano brifters to begin with, you can swap to Tourney SL RS35 3X7 shifters.

Did this bike have RSX brifters?
Old 12-03-22, 11:36 AM
jimhillhome

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for replying, it has Shimano SORA derailleur and caliper brakes.
Old 12-03-22, 11:41 AM
jimhillhome

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
its also 9 speed, sorry bout that.
Old 12-03-22, 12:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Not about the specific question but might be a factor anyway- As one raises the upper body weight shifts to the rider's butt. Often one finds that the narrow drop bar saddle to no longer support the rider with this increased weight. Also as the body becomes more upright there's a loss of pedaling efficiency, or the ability to apply as much power through as much of the pedal stroke as with the drop bars position. Often the rider finds that a more rearward placed saddle works better with an upright bar. The last aspect that many don't think about is the more upright body generally reduces the ability to "work" the bike. The reduced ability to lift one's butt off the saddle over bumps can mean more flats, some find that besides a wider saddle a wider rear tire helps too. Andy
Old 12-03-22, 12:36 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
First step is to figure a comfortable riding position. If you have a trainer you can sort out an approximate position between a no-hands upright and on the hoods. More upright might mean a shorter stem.

Since you are running a double chainring, a rear trigger shifter, road or mountain, with a front thumb shifter, for trim; plus it is a pretty no-brainer shift.

With road caliper brakes, you can use flat bar cantilever brake levers.

New cables and housing and you are set.

John
Old 12-03-22, 12:58 PM
jimhillhome

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your input, this project is for my wife , who has RA, and as a result has fused vertebrae in her her back and neck, she cannot bend her neck as I(we) do for normal cycling position. I got her an e-bike(upright vado) and she loves it and has made great progress, many times not using assist anymore, she has ridden our daughters bike which is 40 pounds lighter, and likes it, but she can't maintain the neck positioning on our 40+ mile excursions.
Old 12-03-22, 01:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by jimhillhome
Thanks for your input, this project is for my wife , who has RA, and as a result has fused vertebrae in her her back and neck, she cannot bend her neck as I(we) do for normal cycling position. I got her an e-bike(upright vado) and she loves it and has made great progress, many times not using assist anymore, she has ridden our daughters bike which is 40 pounds lighter, and likes it, but she can't maintain the neck positioning on our 40+ mile excursions.
Has she visited a knowledgeable fitter? That could help quite a bit in determining where things need to be and if she is in the optimal position for her body.

In terms of shifters this is probably what I would go with: https://www.microshift.com/models/sl-t09/ and brake levers probably these: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...0/BL-R780.html

Though if she is looking for less weight I would try a Vado SL the regular Vado is quite heavy but the SL versions are quite light and easy to ride.
Old 12-03-22, 01:54 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 232 Posts
Thanks for replying, it has Shimano SORA derailleur and caliper brakes.
Please provide us with a more detailed description of what specific components are currently on the bike (shifters, front derailleur & rear derailleur and brake caliper. The model #s are printed on most of parts.

With Sora 9 speed the front derailleur has 2 different non compatible versions.

Are the components all Shimano or mixed with other manufacturers?
Old 12-03-22, 03:08 PM
jimhillhome

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The front derailleur is also Shimano SORA, its all stock Specialized Dolce.
Old 12-03-22, 04:18 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
its also 9 speed, sorry bout that.
Shimano makes flat-bar Sora road shifters, SL-R3000 or SL-R3030 for triple chainrings. As for brake levers, you'll want dual-pull or cantilever-pull flat bar levers. For proper brake power, road calipers require a lever with a shorter cable pull than for linear-pulls or mechanical discs. Shimano, Avid, and Tektro, and Origin-8 are some good lever brands.
Old 12-03-22, 04:19 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I think the model number is needed. Sora FD-R3000 is it not compatible with prior Shimano Sora (3400, 3500), or Microshift. I think the FD-R3000 might be compatible with 9 speed mtb FD shifters.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 12-03-22 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-03-22, 04:49 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Which generation Sora? Sora 3400/3500 is different from Sora R3000, even though they are all 9 speed drivetrains.
Old 12-03-22, 06:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I might suggest she tries a recumbent. Or at least a recumbent exerciser bike to see if the vastly different head/body position works better for her. Andy
Old 12-04-22, 10:01 AM
jimhillhome

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The model number on the derailleurs is FD/ RD-3500. this came up in my search:

SHIMAN0 SORA SL-3500 2 x 9 Speed Flat Bar Road / MTB Bike Shifters Left / Right / Pair Shift Lever Black

Last edited by jimhillhome; 12-04-22 at 10:39 AM.
Likes For jimhillhome:
Old 12-04-22, 11:30 AM
icemilkcoffee 

The model number on the derailleurs is FD/ RD-3500. this came up in my search:

SHIMAN0 SORA SL-3500 2 x 9 Speed Flat Bar Road / MTB Bike Shifters Left / Right / Pair Shift Lever Black

That is indeed the right shifter for your FD /RD
Likes For icemilkcoffee: