Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trigger Finger?

Old 03-26-22, 04:23 PM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trigger Finger?

I got a "trigger finger" or stenosing tenosynovitis on my left index finger.

I wanted to go back riding road cycling again, but my concern about my trigger finger not being able to pull brake or got finger locked while squeeze to brake. I planned to go to Orthopedics soon.

Anyone have this similar condition and how do you handle it? What can I do to avoid it?
Old 03-26-22, 06:39 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
I know one person who had that condition...It was repaired with surgery. I recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon ASAP.

I once had surgery for a severed tendon in my hand, and it involved a long recovery with lots of physical therapy. But without the surgery, I wouldn't have been able to properly grip a handlebar or a beer bottle -- so there was really no option for me.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-26-22, 06:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
It's usually my 3 smaller fingers that do the most work on the brakes. My index finger is too high on the lever to get much leverage.

Wish you the best for your surgery, physical therapy of what ever it is they recommend.

edit 03/39/22:
I've been riding a couple times since this post and realize now that I only use my middle and ring fingers to pull the brake levers on a drop bar road bike with STI's. It's the same whether I'm on the hoods or in the drops. My index fingers do nothing and my pinkies are on the shift paddles.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-29-22 at 07:53 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-26-22, 07:08 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
I had the same issue last year. Friends laughed when I told them my doctor said it was an overuse injury...
I wore a brace at night for 2-3 weeks and the condition went away. Pick up a brace at your local pharmacy.
Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 03-26-22, 08:31 PM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I know one person who had that condition...It was repaired with surgery. I recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon ASAP.

I once had surgery for a severed tendon in my hand, and it involved a long recovery with lots of physical therapy. But without the surgery, I wouldn't have been able to properly grip a handlebar or a beer bottle -- so there was really no option for me.
I visited my orthopedics last September for other injury (rotatory cuff on my shoulder) and asked him about the trigger finger. He said he could give it a shot, I had to decline it because I don't have insurance which I no longer employed. I told him I will be back as soon as I obtain new health insurance.

Originally Posted by Iride01
It's usually my 3 smaller fingers that do the most work on the brakes. My index finger is too high on the lever to get much leverage.

Wish you the best for your surgery, physical therapy of what ever it is they recommend.
I always use all four fingers to brake. I just tried squeeze brakes before I make comment here, it didn't hurt - but I'm more concern about locking or get sharp pain when I squeeze it.

Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
I had the same issue last year. Friends laughed when I told them my doctor said it was an overuse injury...
I wore a brace at night for 2-3 weeks and the condition went away. Pick up a brace at your local pharmacy.
Nice finger!!!

I tried bracket when I first got trigger finger. It didn't help, unfortunately. I noticed if I put some heat on it and it seems to relax it.
Old 03-26-22, 09:17 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Switch to hydraulics and don't use that finger? I have to say with hydraulic levers on the road bike I just use my two smallest fingers in general and one of those barely works from too many injuries, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't bend at all, but stopping is always secure.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-26-22, 09:31 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 284 Posts
I started taking a fish oil supplement every morning, 100 mg soft gel.
I also wore a finger splint at night when going to bed.
I no longer have a problem.
Old 03-27-22, 05:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'd see a doctor and get it fixed. You don't want it to get itchy.
Old 03-27-22, 08:33 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by JMH714
I visited my orthopedics last September for other injury (rotatory cuff on my shoulder) and asked him about the trigger finger. He said he could give it a shot, I had to decline it because I don't have insurance which I no longer employed. I told him I will be back as soon as I obtain new health insurance.

I always use all four fingers to brake. I just tried squeeze brakes before I make comment here, it didn't hurt - but I'm more concern about locking or get sharp pain when I squeeze it.

I tried bracket when I first got trigger finger. It didn't help, unfortunately. I noticed if I put some heat on it and it seems to relax it.
I have something different: Depuytren's Contracture, for which surgery is often recommended. Instead I did intensive stretches for many, many weeks but I finally got it stretched out and now it is essentially gone. Slow fix but it was free and avoided surgery. You might not have gone at the stretching long enough. Modern medicine is fixated on quick cures rather than long term changes that can avoid invasive treatments.
Old 03-27-22, 09:12 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I periodically have that problem, mine originates where the nerve exits the cervical spine or so I am told. The meaty part of the thumb pad will turn black and blue. It hurts all the time. The finger does not always stick out. One reason I switched to eTap
Old 03-27-22, 10:15 AM
roth rothar

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Cannodale SR600,Trek 520, Specialized Rock Hopper, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
I started taking a fish oil supplement every morning, 100 mg soft gel.
I also wore a finger splint at night when going to bed.
I no longer have a problem.
Did you try it just for the Halibut?
Likes For roth rothar:
Old 03-27-22, 02:16 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,941 Times in 1,904 Posts
splint the finger to keep it from being used.
Old 03-27-22, 05:03 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
A plastics guy with a hand specialty can fix a trigger finger in 10 minutes. If you need a carpal tunnel, see if you can get both on the same day.
Old 03-29-22, 11:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
Wifey had surgery
Old 03-31-22, 10:24 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 790 Times in 402 Posts
I had it from playing the guitar several hours per day. It bothered me for about a year (probably because I kept playing), and then went away by itself.
Old 04-03-22, 12:56 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I think I've had 4 or 5 of these. When you get insurance, find a hand surgeon, not a general ortho. Sometimes all it takes is a steroid shot in the joint below the finger. Sometimes minor surgery is necessary if the shot doesn't work. Personally, I've had the shot preventively, and it didn't totally prevent it getting worse, so I'll wait until it's painful the next time it happens to me.

I recommend asking the doc to give you the shot for the total Medicare price if you don't have insurance. Docs can charge what they want to charge. The rack rate can be $18,000, but all the doc will get for a Medicare recipient is the Medicare price (i.e. Medicare pays of 80% of the rate, and the patient pays 20%). It's common for the Medicare price t be 10% or less of the rack rate, but shots may cost more.
Old 04-03-22, 09:04 PM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Updated.

My doctor is sending me a referral to orthopedic. I only spoken to doctor through message on their website and described exact how it feel and move, etc... And then they are going to give me the referral shortly.

I doubt it will be a surgery since I can move my finger, but just feeling skipping, clicking, and sometimes got stuck. My mother have issue with her hands and she had to get surgery for it to loose some tendon (I think, I'm not expert on hand) on middle of her palms.

I hope I can get back on bike very soon!