Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Options for broken Campy Avanti front derailleur?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-22, 11:05 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts

I'm trying to help out a friend. The clamp on his front Campy Avanti derailleur broke the other day. His bike (some kind of Specialized) is prob 30 years old and a replacement derailleur is slim pickings locally, and eBay seems to be a struggle, too. I don't know how many rings he's got in back.

It doesn't seem like he can just swap in a Shimano 105, for example, as the cable pull seems different, right? Does that also mean the spacing between front rings with Shimano is different from Campy?

If he can't find an exact replacement, what are his options?

Thanks
Paul
Old 05-16-22, 01:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
2x or 3x front? Integrated shifters on a drop bar or downtube shifter?

Probably that old just get some new Microshift Front DR. However you can also probably find a used and period correct Campy front DR at a somewhat reasonable price on eBay.

Make sure it's for the correct number of chain rings though.
Old 05-16-22, 07:16 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I suspect the Specialized has Campy Ergo shifters. If so then the left hand one is not truly an "indexed" design and most any brand of ft der will work with it. Andy (who runs his Ergos with various Asian ft ders because they make better ones)
Old 05-17-22, 11:54 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I have many bikes running Campagnolo Ergopower. The front shifting is not indexed, and the front shifter produces about a dozen 'clicks' across its range. So you can install basically any road double front derailleur that has the right clamp diameter.

As far as Campagnolo front derailleurs working better than say Shimano or SRAM, I've not noticed. At my local bike Co-op we have a heavy bin of front derailleurs for all of $5 each. Since the 1 x fad took hold, we seem to have a surplus of front derailleurs.
Old 05-17-22, 09:07 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I suspect the Specialized has Campy Ergo shifters. If so then the left hand one is not truly an "indexed" design and most any brand of ft der will work with it. Andy (who runs his Ergos with various Asian ft ders because they make better ones)
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I have many bikes running Campagnolo Ergopower. The front shifting is not indexed, and the front shifter produces about a dozen 'clicks' across its range. So you can install basically any road double front derailleur that has the right clamp diameter.
I've not seen his bike up close, but he said the shifters are Avanti, too, which I assume must be like 105 vs Ultegra. I shared your feedback with him and he thinks it should work.

Thanks,
Paul