Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Recommendations on a fitness e-bike?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 05-11-22, 04:56 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts

I'll be moving to an area with a TON of trails, often some are 25+ miles long. I would really like to use the bike manually for the first stretch, then when say 15-20 miles out, use part of the motor to make the bike back home easier. I don't really know anything about e-bikes or what I should be on the lookout for.

The LeMond Prolog for instance has a great frame style and appearance, but pricey though. Any recs?
Old 05-11-22, 08:03 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
mid drive will feel like a bike and let you control how much assist you have. so yo Icahn spin at whatever cadence you want. but remember a e bike is a heavy bike and without power unless you ride slow will feel like a slug. but you can turn down the assist level really low to overcome that. I would try them at a local shop so you really know what your getting into. I like to go around 22 so I can do that and get the workout I want. or slower or faster.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 05-11-22, 09:56 PM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Anything by Cannondale but particularly the Quick Neo SL or Treadwell Neo 2, both are lightweight for an ebike so you can pedal them with the motor off.
Likes For Dewey101:
Old 05-19-22, 03:01 AM
Tabitha

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Addmotor E-53 Cruiser electric bike recommended

I recommend the Addmotor E-53 Cruiser electric bike. It comes with a 48V*20AH battery that ensures 125 miles of riding range. It has a high step frame style. Together with a rear rack, you can carry some items easily.
Old 05-19-22, 04:53 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
“Trail” covers a lot of ground, can you be more specific?
Hardpack railway trail? stone covered ATV trail? black diamond ski trail?

Also if you specify your range of budget for this ebike purchase, that would get better suggestions on return.
under $2k? $5k?
Old 05-19-22, 06:42 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Tabitha
I recommend the Addmotor E-53 Cruiser electric bike. It comes with a 48V*20AH battery that ensures 125 miles of riding range. It has a high step frame style. Together with a rear rack, you can carry some items easily.
This bike that you suggested isn't designed for the type of riding the OP plans on doing, and it sure as heck doesn't get 125 miles of range in real world riding.
Old 05-20-22, 12:30 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Specs suggest the bike recommended by Dewey is an excellent consideration for trail (bike path) riding. Just beware of some decent-looking bikes, but overweight with abominable pedaling platforms. Depending on your budget and proclivities, you might consider a DIY route as have many on this site.
Old 05-25-22, 02:15 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I had this same question. I currently have a Lectric XP 2.0. It was ok for my first experience into the eBike world, and I find myself riding my road bike less and less. So I'm looking for a fitness style eBike now. A Trek FX Sport would be perfect in eBike form, but I can't find anything like that. Seems like every eBike has fat tires and folds.
Old 05-26-22, 07:12 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Sounds like you want the smallest motor possible. A strong biker does 250 watts, so a small 250 watt motor will give you plenty of power in bike terms. The smaller the motor, the lighter the bike will be.

I like the idea of a Fazua motor as seen on something like the Canyon https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/electri...s/endurace-on/
looks like a normal bike, rides like a normal bike, and gives you a boost if/when needed.

The downside of any European focused bike is they are limited to 25km/hr. My first ebike was built like that and I found it had near infinite range, because I don't ride that slow. ;-)

I did end up throwing a small hub motor onto a road bike. 19lb bike became 29lb bike, and rides just fine with no power assist - its still lighter/easier than most mountain bikes.
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-26-22, 09:23 AM
2old

I built a fine riding if a little ponderous errand bike using my 1985 Fuji Mt Fuji MTB, BBS02 and four pound seat bag battery. It goes about 15 miles since the PAS is at level 3 (of 9) or less when I'm riding, and it pedals well enough that running out of battery on the <40 pound bike isn't a problem.
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-09-22, 09:48 AM
rbrech58

Bikes: Nishiki Comp II ('79), BMC UC01 ('12), LeMond Prolog ('21)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EJ123
I'll be moving to an area with a TON of trails, often some are 25+ miles long. I would really like to use the bike manually for the first stretch, then when say 15-20 miles out, use part of the motor to make the bike back home easier. I don't really know anything about e-bikes or what I should be on the lookout for.

The LeMond Prolog for instance has a great frame style and appearance, but pricey though. Any recs?
I bought the Prolog Fall '21 and ride it about 50-70 miles/week - mainly on paved trails. I ride out unassisted - and use the motor when I run out of puff - particularly the final few miles which are always uphill. The bike is super light - and handles great in manual mode. It IS very expensive, but perfectly meets my needs. 6+ months of trouble-free riding.
Likes For rbrech58:
Old 06-13-22, 02:21 PM
2old

Great looking bike and seems very functional. Some day maybe I'll move where road biking is safer, and this would be my first choice.
Old 06-13-22, 04:29 PM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Sounds like you want the smallest motor possible. A strong biker does 250 watts, so a small 250 watt motor will give you plenty of power in bike terms. The smaller the motor, the lighter the bike will be.

I like the idea of a Fazua motor as seen on something like the Canyon https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/electri...s/endurace-on/
looks like a normal bike, rides like a normal bike, and gives you a boost if/when needed.

The downside of any European focused bike is they are limited to 25km/hr. My first ebike was built like that and I found it had near infinite range, because I don't ride that slow. ;-)
In the United States, Fazua and Mahle - EbikeMotion class 1 systems provide assist up to 20 mph.
Old 06-13-22, 04:43 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by palincss
In the United States, Fazua and Mahle - EbikeMotion class 1 systems provide assist up to 20 mph.
You mean Porsche?

May not be widely known, but Porsche just bought Fazua! :-O
Old 06-14-22, 10:59 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
Am I the only one having indigestion with "fitness" and "e-bike" in the same sentence?
Old 06-14-22, 12:17 PM
2old

Those of us who have ridden them understand the concept.
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-16-22, 01:29 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2, 2017 Trek Verve 3, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 163 Posts
What's your budget?

For a traditional styled bike that is actually usable as a mechanical bike too, Check out the Trek Allant+. It has a nice mid drive Bosch drivetrain and is nice and efficient. I think they're $2500-3500. Not a budget e-bike, but not a Lemond either.

I just bought a heybike Ranger on Amazon for $1400. It would be PERFECT on your trails. However, this is the kind of e-bike that triggers snobbery from some of the folks above. It's got 4" fat tires on 20" rims and a 500 W motor; it weighs 71lbs. I can only reasonably pedal it unassisted up to 10 mph for any length of time. Only the first couple gears. On the other hand, I can put in as much or as little effort as I want and get up to 27 mph on level ground. That's in the highest gear, full assist pedaling crazy fast. I think it's really fun, and if you're not getting a workout, it's because you're lazy, not because the bike won't let you. This is the more common and affordable type of e-bike, with a brushless motor and planetary geartrain in the rear hub. When you start pedaling a hall effect sensor detects it and assists to whatever level you've got the PAS (Power Assist System) set to. I have mine set like so:

0 - Pure mechanical; emergency mode.
1 - 4 mph
2 - 7 mph
3 - 11 mph
4 - 13 mph
5 - 17 mph
6 - 19 mph (comfortable cadence in top gear)
7 - 24 mph (max)

You'll note that the bottom 4 speeds would be OK on a bike trail with good judgment. Not strictly legal in all areas, but if you're not being a jerk, you won't get bothered.

This morning before my commute to work, it was already 90°F and humid. I got to work with only a tiny bit of sweat, and not really from exertion. It's a nice option.

Another way to look at it is that you can pedal as if you're going 13 mph (a comfortable speed for me on flat ground on my Trek hybrid) but actually be going 20, and without needing a hardcore road bike.

The Trek Allant+ would do everything my Ranger would do except really soft surfaces like sand or snow.

In the heybike lineup, their Race model is more conventional and costs half as much as the Ranger. (They call it "Race" but it is really a hybrid style bike) heybike is a Chinese brand, but rather than going for bottom price, they actually have good customer support and that makes the bikes cost a couple hunge more than the super cheap, low quality ones.
Old 06-16-22, 01:39 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2, 2017 Trek Verve 3, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Am I the only one having indigestion with "fitness" and "e-bike" in the same sentence?
If you're not getting exercise on an e-bike, it's because you're lazy, not because they don't allow it.

Originally Posted by 2old
Those of us who have ridden them understand the concept.
Why are you mechanical bike snobs even posting here in the e-bike subforum? Bored? Trolling?

I've ridden mechanical bikes for the last 40 years and there's a certain charm to the silence, efficiency and simplicity to them, but e-bikes just open up a whole new world. They've pretty much replaced mopeds, among the lazier folks. They let us focus less on expensive, light weight bikes, aggressive riding posture with the butt up in the air and neck bent uncomfortably upwards and just enjoy the ride while still moving at a good clip. You can work as much or as little as you want.

e-bikes are capable enough that I'm surprised they're not taxed more by the government. (like mopeds)
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 06-16-22, 09:02 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Umm, arent all ebikes "fitness" bikes? I get a workout riding them. I just dont have to push the bike up hills anymore.

-SP
Likes For speedy25:
Old 06-20-22, 08:19 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Speedy: I'd say not. There are some, such as those by Super73, that have pedals that will not get used, as the bike is so heavy and inefficient. These types of bikes are getting more and more popular. The fat tire trend is skyrocketing because the electric drivetrain can overcome the high rolling resistance and wind drag on knobbies.
Old 06-25-22, 11:05 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I've always valued the (lockable) front suspension on mine, and the 3x8 gearing: it rides/feels like my RockHopper and makes it very versatile. I replaced the stock knobby tires last year to improve rolling on the paved roads that I do on 80+ percent of my ebike rides. I also value that my bike has both pedal assist and a throttle, though I rarely use the throttle. Finally, I value my front and rear hydraulic disk brakes. I'm pro-hub drive bikes, but I've never tried anything else and don't debate the matter. I also strongly prefer 26" wheels on all my mountain or mountain-type bikes, but that is definitely more personal. The only thing I don't like about mine is that I have to remove the battery to charge it -not a big thing, but just plugging it in would be nice.

Enjoy your patient shopping and eventual selection.