Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Does anyone make a bike like this?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 01-03-16, 11:27 AM
B2mac

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana; 2010 Trek FX7.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 62 and looking for my ultimate retirement bike. I ride mostly paved or crushed lime trails. Usually 25-50 miles per trip. I currently have a 2005 Gary Fisher 'Nirvana' and a 2010 Trek FX7.5. I bought the Trek last year because I wanted to try a bike with a carbon fork, 32c tires, and bar ends. The 7.5 had these plus it had a triple crank which I like, and a 9 speed 11-26 rear cassette. It is also about 3-4# lighter than my Gary Fisher. While I like the bike, I'm not sure I have found my 'ultimate' bike yet. I don't think the upgrades made as much difference as I expected they would. I am familiar with the n+1 syndrome which I may be suffering from.

I would like my next bike to be able to handle 35c tires for comfort. I would also like it to have 105 or similar quality components. I would be willing to pay for a carbon frame if I thought it would improve comfort significantly and would handle the 35c tires. The Trek FX7.7 Domane frame gets good reviews but can't handle 35c tires which seems to be the case with all the carbon framed hybirds that I have found. I also would like to keep flatbar handlebars. I think I would like to keep the triple crank since I live in an area with quite a few hills and my wife would probably ride this bike when we ride together. She currently has a FX 7.2. We've had very little trouble with the triple cranks we've had. It's possible I could be convinced to go with a compact crank if everything else on the bike checked out. Anyone know of a bike that would fit this criteria? The wider tires seem to be the biggest stumbling block for carbon framed bikes.

In the back of my mind I think that I might not be happy unless I try a carbon frame bike but I also like to not have to worry quite so much about theft or possible frame failure and I do like kickstands. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-16, 11:48 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by B2mac
I am 62 and looking for my ultimate retirement bike. I ride mostly paved or crushed lime trails. Usually 25-50 miles per trip. I currently have a 2005 Gary Fisher 'Nirvana' and a 2010 Trek FX7.5. I bought the Trek last year because I wanted to try a bike with a carbon fork, 32c tires, and bar ends. The 7.5 had these plus it had a triple crank which I like, and a 9 speed 11-26 rear cassette. It is also about 3-4# lighter than my Gary Fisher. While I like the bike, I'm not sure I have found my 'ultimate' bike yet. I don't think the upgrades made as much difference as I expected they would. I am familiar with the n+1 syndrome which I may be suffering from.

I would like my next bike to be able to handle 35c tires for comfort. I would also like it to have 105 or similar quality components. I would be willing to pay for a carbon frame if I thought it would improve comfort significantly and would handle the 35c tires. The Trek FX7.7 Domane frame gets good reviews but can't handle 35c tires which seems to be the case with all the carbon framed hybirds that I have found. I also would like to keep flatbar handlebars. I think I would like to keep the triple crank since I live in an area with quite a few hills and my wife would probably ride this bike when we ride together. She currently has a FX 7.2. We've had very little trouble with the triple cranks we've had. It's possible I could be convinced to go with a compact crank if everything else on the bike checked out. Anyone know of a bike that would fit this criteria? The wider tires seem to be the biggest stumbling block for carbon framed bikes.

In the back of my mind I think that I might not be happy unless I try a carbon frame bike but I also like to not have to worry quite so much about theft or possible frame failure and I do like kickstands. Thanks in advance.
Get a mountain bike and put the tires you want on it.
Old 01-03-16, 12:02 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Any reason you can't fit your Trek with 35c tires? That bike has V Brakes, which should have clearance for wider tires.

You can talk yourself into spending a whole bunch of money, but it seems to me the Trek is a fine bike that has a lot of potential. Moreover, I don't know if modern 105 components (2 x 11) is any better than what you currently have (3 x 9) for what you are looking to do. And I don't see how, unless you are competing, that carbon fiber makes sense for what you are trying to do. I would suggest you go the other way and consider steel. Maybe something like the Surly Ogre.

Last edited by MRT2; 01-03-16 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-03-16, 12:06 PM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Comfort..... Change the gearing and tire pressure.
Old 01-03-16, 12:23 PM
B2mac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks MRT2. Fitting the Trek with 35c tires is certainly an option. As far as the carbon frame, I would not be looking at it for speed but rather for increased comfort. I have heard so much about the Domane frame and the IsoSpeed decoupler that I find it tempting. The problem is I can't find one within 80 miles to test ride. I've also read good things about the Roubaix frame. From what I've read the lower quality carbons aren't much better than good aluminum. I might consider steel also, though I haven't checked them out much yet.
Old 01-03-16, 12:28 PM
MRT2

Thanks MRT2. Fitting the Trek with 35c tires is certainly an option. As far as the carbon frame, I would not be looking at it for speed but rather for increased comfort. I have heard so much about the Domane frame and the IsoSpeed decoupler that I find it tempting. The problem is I can't find one within 80 miles to test ride. I've also read good things about the Roubaix frame. From what I've read the lower quality carbons aren't much better than good aluminum. I might consider steel also, though I haven't checked them out much yet.
You haven't said, other than the tires, what you don't like about the 7.5. While I am sure they are making comfortable carbon frames such as the Domane and the Roubaix, it is a relative concept. These are bikes designed to go fast riding on narrow 25c tires, and it seems to me the advantage of carbon is weight and stiffness, and comfort is really tertiary. I could be wrong, of course, but it seems to me you can increase the comfort of your 7.5 by switching to a nicer tire. In any case, it is a lot cheaper than the thousands you will spend on a carbon fiber road bike.
Old 01-03-16, 12:40 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
A good carbon frame can be laterally stiff and vertically compliant, something that is hard to accomplish on metal frames with traditional tubes.

The stereotype is that cheap aluminum is stiff, cheap steel is heavy, and cheap carbon is stiff and rides like wood. Compliant aluminum, light steel, and compliant carbon exist but one must pay for the additional engineering and manufacturing steps.

Many companies offer different carbon frames ranging in verticle compliance for different types of riders and rides.
Old 01-03-16, 12:46 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have an alloy GT Eightball that can take 40c tires. I ride mine on pavement, hardpack and gravel trails.

If your bike takes wider tires, it should work well for your needs, if you're looking for more comfort.
Old 01-03-16, 01:17 PM
B2mac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comfort would be the main reason I would go with carbon which is why I would lean towards the Domane and the Roubiax. Lighter and faster are good too but not if it means sacrificing too much comfort. My wife would ride this bike when we go together or on group rides. She feels she is struggling to keep up and I was hoping a different bike might help. I think I feel the bumps as much or more with the Trek with 32c tires and carbon fork as I do with the Fisher with 35c tires and chromoly fork. I will probably switch tires in the spring. I use my Gary Fisher for any winter riding I do. All in all I agree it might be quite a bit to spend for a little comfort.
Originally Posted by MRT2
You haven't said, other than the tires, what you don't like about the 7.5. While I am sure they are making comfortable carbon frames such as the Domane and the Roubaix, it is a relative concept. These are bikes designed to go fast riding on narrow 25c tires, and it seems to me the advantage of carbon is weight and stiffness, and comfort is really tertiary. I could be wrong, of course, but it seems to me you can increase the comfort of your 7.5 by switching to a nicer tire. In any case, it is a lot cheaper than the thousands you will spend on a carbon fiber road bike.
Old 01-03-16, 02:21 PM
MRT2

Comfort would be the main reason I would go with carbon which is why I would lean towards the Domane and the Roubiax. Lighter and faster are good too but not if it means sacrificing too much comfort. My wife would ride this bike when we go together or on group rides. She feels she is struggling to keep up and I was hoping a different bike might help. I think I feel the bumps as much or more with the Trek with 32c tires and carbon fork as I do with the Fisher with 35c tires and chromoly fork. I will probably switch tires in the spring. I use my Gary Fisher for any winter riding I do. All in all I agree it might be quite a bit to spend for a little comfort.
Don't count on it. The FX 7.5 is a nicer bike than is the 7.2, but faster or stronger is still mostly about the rider. If your wife was crushing it with her FX 7.2 and wanted to see how much faster or further she could go with a lighter and/or stiffer bike, then I would say go for it. But if she is having trouble keeping up with her current bike, a lighter hybrid won't make all that much difference.

As far as your Trek being a little harsher than the Gary Fisher with the chromoly fork and the wider tires, I would concur. Steel fork + wider tires = a more comfortable ride. Try switching to a nicer tire and see if it makes a difference.
Old 01-03-16, 03:34 PM
B2mac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will probably wait until spring and try new tires on the FX7.5. I was hoping to hear from others who may have made a similar upgrade in bike to see if they were satisfied with the results. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-16, 05:59 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Methinks you nailed it with the N+1.
Classic
Old 01-03-16, 06:23 PM
B2mac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had thought that if the carbon bikes actually do offer significantly more comfort, that there would be a market for them as there gets to be more older riders like myself looking to upgrade.
Originally Posted by avidone1
Methinks you nailed it with the N+1.
Classic
Old 01-03-16, 09:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
don't fool yourself into believing that a CF frame will provide a material increase in comfort. CF does a decent job dampening high frequency road vibration, which is why CF forks have a reputation for being softer. But it does not flex much more than a steel frame of similar quality. Comfort comes not from the frame, but the tires and saddle.

If the Trek can manage the tires you prefer and is good on other key respects, I suggest you work with that. You can possibly make it more comfortable wit fatter tires at lower pressure, and/or a limited travel shock seatpost if you feel it necessary.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-03-16, 09:39 PM
RedRockRider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Giant Escape RX Composite 2014 Medium Flat Bar Road Gravel Rail Trail Bike | eBay

Maybe consider looking for one of these used (if this one isn't your size).

I have one and it's an awesome bike, carbon frame, mini-V brakes and looks like enough room for 700x40 or even larger tires.

I upgraded mine to a 105 compact crankset, and 105 mid/long cage rear derailer, and put better V-brakes on (Avid single digit 7's I think), all of which I picked up on flea-bay for a reasonable price.

I kept the rear cassette it came with, which is an 11/34, so in combination with the compact crank the gearing is plenty low for even the steepest of hills.

Last edited by RedRockRider; 01-03-16 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-03-16, 10:33 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
........ I am familiar with the n+1 syndrome which I may be suffering from......In the back of my mind I think that I might not be happy unless I try a carbon frame bike ......
I also retired and have contracted the "the n+1 syndrome"... although never formally diagnosed. So far the only suffering I've experienced is a little irritation of the wife.

I found a strong desire to experience many of the bikes I missed out on in my many years away from riding. It all started when I bought some older winter project bikes (one at a time). I'd restore, ride, enjoy, and educate myself about each bike. Then I'd sell it and try another. Some bikes seem to have found a home. And I cured the irritated wife problem by negotiating a number of bikes I can own at any given time (then I almost immediately exceeded that number). I was at a LBS the other day and they had a great price on a new cross bike that was my size. I left it in the store... but I keep thinking about it.

The bikes are only a small part of the fun... but they are a part. I like to think of my herd/collection as "estate enhancement".

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 01-03-16 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-03-16, 10:45 PM
B2mac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red Rock Rider, Thanks for the heads up on the Giant Escape. I had been watching CL for an Escape RX. Not sure if I want to buy it without ever having a chance to ride one. I will admit I've read great things about them.
Old 01-15-16, 05:51 AM
Lordfartblaster
The Duke of ShartBriar

Bikes: Highly modified Norco Indie 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes,