Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket woes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bottom bracket woes

Old 05-19-22, 08:34 AM
ironhands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Bottom bracket woes

So FLBS is 3 weeks behind on repairs so I grabbed a new BB and set to work myself. Old one is toast. We're pretty sure it's a cartridge, but I can't get the old one out, ripped out the spindle to get a better look at what's going on. Using an 18" breaker bar, and the right tool, counter clockwise on the non-drive side. From what I can see, it's just seized and old, but showing a friend a photo, he believes there's a lock ring, but from what I can see, it seems to be just able to accept either the spindle tool or a wrench. Can anyone she's some light on this? If it is a lock ring and not just a cup, can you point me to a tool?

Thanks everyone, ride safe!
Old 05-19-22, 09:33 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
If it's a lock ring, channel locks. Turning correct direction for your BB threading?
Shoulda left the spindle in because you're going to have to bolt the tool in on tight ones. You can run a long bolt & washer or all thread & washer instead, but you really want the tool bolted in to not slip.
Some are really tight...

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribshe...mbrackets.html

This one the bearings were gone so the spindle was out and toll bolted in with washers and a long bolt.

Some are more stubborn than others.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-19-22, 09:37 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The cup reminds me of an old Suntour VX bottom bracket, but the teeth aren't the right size. It had a lockring and allowed for an adjustable chainline, IIRC.

Last edited by Rolla; 05-19-22 at 09:42 AM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-19-22, 09:43 AM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
If it's a lock ring, channel locks. Turning correct direction for your BB threading?
Shoulda left the spindle in because you're going to have to bolt the tool in on tight ones. You can run a long bolt & washer or all thread & washer instead, but you really want the tool bolted in to not slip.
Some are really tight...

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribshe...mbrackets.html

This one the bearings were gone so the spindle was out and toll bolted in with washers and a long bolt.

Some are more stubborn than others.
I hope I am! I'm not sure what's in it, flbs told me standard on non-drive side, reverse on drive side. Didn't really have much choice in keeping the spindle in, it was basically falling apart.
Would a locking typically be standard threading? Ordered a lockring wrench, should arrive tomorrow, thanks!
Old 05-19-22, 10:09 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
For some BBs we have used a pneumatic impact wrench and a BB tool with a 1/2 or 3/8 drive fitting on it. A very (thankfully) cups have had to be ground and broken out of the shell. Andy
Old 05-19-22, 11:03 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
You can also remove the lock ring with a hammer and cold chisel, with tangential impact.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 05-19-22, 11:39 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 256 Posts
Some shops might let you borrow this old jobber

Mine came in handy for a bunch of pre-9speed BB's.
It's a big goofy tool that people give me grief over. Until they need it. lol
Otherwise, yeah, wail on it with a big chisel and hammer. Ya got like eight notches to destroy!

Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 05-19-22, 12:41 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
A little penetrating oil may make things easier.
Apply and tap the ring with a small wrench to "ring it". The vibration helps the oil to wick in.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-19-22, 01:02 PM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Mine came in handy for a bunch of pre-9speed BB's.
It's a big goofy tool that people give me grief over. Until they need it. lol
Otherwise, yeah, wail on it with a big chisel and hammer. Ya got like eight notches to destroy!

Just picked one up actually 🤣. If it doesn't work. I might just break out the dremel
Old 05-19-22, 01:04 PM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
A little penetrating oil may make things easier.
Apply and tap the ring with a small wrench to "ring it". The vibration helps the oil to wick in.
Been spraying it with wd40, used some floss to open up the areas. And pulled my seatpost and sprayed a good 30 seconds into the frame. Never heard of ringing it, but I do have a small wrench and I don't feel bad about smacking it around 😂
Old 05-19-22, 01:11 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by ironhands
Been spraying it with wd40, used some floss to open up the areas. And pulled my seatpost and sprayed a good 30 seconds into the frame. Never heard of ringing it, but I do have a small wrench and I don't feel bad about smacking it around 😂
WD-40 is a poor penetrating oil. Only thing I use if for is degreasing gummed up shifters.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-19-22, 01:28 PM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
WD-40 is a poor penetrating oil. Only thing I use if for is degreasing gummed up shifters.
What do you recommend?
Old 05-19-22, 01:41 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

What do you recommend?
Something called PENETRATING OIL.
There's various brands.
I use Liquid Wrench in the can with a spout so I can use tiny amounts in a hypodermic needle.
Spraying it all over hell & beyond just makes a mess and wastes product.

For your case, I'd just remove the lock ring with a cold chisel.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-19-22, 02:14 PM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Something called PENETRATING OIL.
There's various brands.
I use Liquid Wrench in the can with a spout so I can use tiny amounts in a hypodermic needle.
Spraying it all over hell & beyond just makes a mess and wastes product.

For your case, I'd just remove the lock ring with a cold chisel.
Haven't been able to find anything but wd40 locally, the only penetrating oil that would ship before July for me is $26 a bottle, so looks like I gotta use elbow grease instead
Old 05-19-22, 02:19 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Haven't been able to find anything but wd40 locally, the only penetrating oil that would ship before July for me is $26 a bottle, so looks like I gotta use elbow grease instead
Ignore list since you are obviously unable to help yourself.
Ever hear of a store?
Old 05-19-22, 02:24 PM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ignore list since you are obviously unable to help yourself.
Ever hear of a store?
🤣 I did just say I haven't been able to find any locally, which would include stores, or did you assume I was just ransacking random garages? As my bikes not rideable, I'm pretty limited in the number of stores I could potentially visit as I don't drive. Not sure what the hostility is about, cheers, and thanks for the help 😁

Last edited by ironhands; 05-19-22 at 02:30 PM.
Likes For ironhands:
Old 05-19-22, 02:55 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 363 Posts
Liquid Wrench and PB Blaster are 2 penetrants that should be available at any hardware store. But I agree that you might as well try a hammer and punch on that lockring.
Old 05-19-22, 03:00 PM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Liquid Wrench and PB Blaster are 2 penetrants that should be available at any hardware store. But I agree that you might as well try a hammer and punch on that lockring.
Unfortunately I've only seen liquid wrench products at my Lowe's, but lubricant not penetrating oil. We're having supply issues in the great white north. I did see some PB on Amazon, but it's not shipping anytime soon, so yeah, as I said above, rather than oil, gotta go elbow grease and hope that the new lockring wrench is sufficient in combination with the wd40. Appreciate the help!
Old 05-19-22, 03:48 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
If you have any acetone and Automatic Transmission fluid on hand you can make about the best penetrating oil available by mixing them 50:50.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-19-22, 03:58 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
🤣 I did just say I haven't been able to find any locally, which would include stores, or did you assume I was just ransacking random garages? As my bikes not rideable, I'm pretty limited in the number of stores I could potentially visit as I don't drive. Not sure what the hostility is about, cheers, and thanks for the help 😁
Kroil is the best, PB blaster runner up. Acetone/ATF 50:50 mix if you want to make your own, but I just serviced 2 automatic transmissions this week and ATF is now $11/qt and used 10 quarts. Any auto parts or hardware store should have some sort of penetrating oil like liquid wrench or a CRC brand equal.

That's just Bill, ignore list a mile long. It's the internet, don't worry about it too much.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-19-22, 04:08 PM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
If you have any acetone and Automatic Transmission fluid on hand you can make about the best penetrating oil available by mixing them 50:50.
I do have acetone, I do a lot of 3d printing and miniature painting. Acetone and brake fluid make great paint remover. I'll pickup some ATF, thanks so much!!!
Old 05-19-22, 04:09 PM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Kroil is the best, PB blaster runner up. Acetone/ATF 50:50 mix if you want to make your own, but I just serviced 2 automatic transmissions this week and ATF is now $11/qt and used 10 quarts. Any auto parts or hardware store should have some sort of penetrating oil like liquid wrench or a CRC brand equal.

That's just Bill, ignore list a mile long. It's the internet, don't worry about it too much.
I'll have to make my own, there's literally nothing at Lowe's, appreciate the tip!
Ya, I've been on the internet since the 90s, there's always someone 🤣 have a great night!
Old 05-19-22, 04:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
I do have acetone, I do a lot of 3d printing and miniature painting. Acetone and brake fluid make great paint remover. I'll pickup some ATF, thanks so much!!!
seriously anyplace that has ATF is likely to have a penetrating oil.

I like stuff called freeze-off but that is probably hard to find

the other thing in these situations is hard whacks, steel steel to help break things loose, I have often found hard whacks help get things started better than long levers,

good luck

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-19-22, 04:25 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
You could always siphon a little ATF from your car since such a tiny amount is needed.
Old 05-19-22, 04:32 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Really, I don't know what your problem is...you have iron hands, just grab that thing and crank away.
Likes For spelger:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.