Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift Alternative ? This may be it

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-23, 06:28 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts

This modification of GTA V is getting VERY good. Called GTBikeV, it is an add on to GTA V that connects a smart trainer (or speed/cadence) that lets the user cycle around the GTAV world . As I got the game for free and GTBike V is free the only cost to me was the smart trainer and one of my bikes. To run the game the way I do you need quite a lot of computer power but I can also run it on my $400 dell laptop, just without the amount of detail and scale possible on my desktop.

GTBike V has been around for a while now but with the latest update it may be a great rather than a good alternative to Zwift or similar app. Before now it has been buggy and hard to set up but that has changed as now there is a stand alone installer that will download and install the needed files as well as workouts and workout plans (preloaded and user installable) It supports group riding (private server) or when using predetermined courses (NPCs). The only issues with group riding is that riders can bump into each other and get pushed off roads as well as the user / NPCs may be attacked by other NPCs or run over by impatient drivers. - really. Being said if you do get POed you can dismount and shoot them . The biggest drawback for me was well . . .GTAV. I had to add another mod to remove the foul language and gratuitous violence from the game.

I do use a steering device (steerzo) but you can also steer with a keyboard or controller. Alternatively you don't need to use any steering device at all as the game will follow pre determined courses of your choosing (similar to Zwift without steering). I typically ride other add on (mod) islands as they unpopulated and much safer to ride around in. If you especially adept you can even create you own jerseys, shorts, shoes, bicycles, etc to use in game. In the videos below are a couple kits I actually own.

I have done a few videos as well as an install guide on youtube.*some of the videos are with additional mods ie. Liberty City (NYC), Lake Louise, French Riviera, and Ugase City (Japan) in the links below. The videos are all done while on the trainer but I had a little fun post processing using the Rockstar video editor (in game).

Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 02-23-23, 08:12 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
That looks cool and I did recently buy GTAV just so that I could try the bike mod (haven't downloaded it yet). My big thing is that I really like chasing other people for motivation (races are so much more fun for me than workouts to the point where I just choose races that I think will make me work on certain areas rather than doing workouts), so I'm not sure how I'd do without that feature of Zwift.
Old 02-23-23, 09:07 AM
daviddavieboy

Originally Posted by himespau
My big thing is that I really like chasing other people for motivation
Racing on Zwift is a huge motivator for myself as well. Unfortunately I have "blown up" a few times going too hard as pacing is my downfall. Typically I am a touring/grand fondo/century length rider IRL so GTBikeV fits in well for conditioning. It is possible you may like the courses option in the game as it adds other bots which can be assigned a "strength" ie better climber, fast on flats, endurance. There is always one of them I cannot catch as they are programmed to nearly match the users power output. as long as your FTP and weight are set properly in the config file.
Old 02-23-23, 11:00 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
unfortunately i am unable to see any of your links or images. will be researching this though
Old 02-23-23, 11:38 AM
daviddavieboy

Originally Posted by spelger
unfortunately i am unable to see any of your links or images. will be researching this though
Odd as I checked with an incognito tab and all seemed fine. I am curious if others are having issues as well.

here is the link to the video list
https://www.youtube.com/@maugerville/videos
Old 02-24-23, 11:37 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
thx for posting this. interesting.
Old 02-26-23, 05:10 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Can you upload your GTA ride to Strava afterwards? 😁
Old 02-26-23, 06:22 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
I downloaded it and got the mod running today. I had never played GTA of any variety before and am not really adept with modding, so I had a lot of trouble and gave up. Visually, it looked cool and I liked that my sterzo smart actually did something for a change (zwift usually claims it can't recognize it, and, even when it can, it doesn't really do much. Here, I didn't have to do anything and it had me steering right away. I hated that I was in a race car firesuit and a motorcycle helmet and it kept moving over to cut scenes that took me off my bike and I couldn't figure out how to get back to the bike riding (and the pager kept covering up the bike computer). In theory, it looks interesting, but I think you need to be more familiar with GTA and it's controls/menu setup than I am and/or be a lot better with making/using mods. Maybe if I have a couple of weekends alone with lots of time to play around with it, I could get it up to where I would be comfortable with it. Graphics are a lot nicer than Zwift and I like the free steering, but Zwift is just so easy with the hop on and go of it all.
Old 02-27-23, 06:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
It looks really cool, but in no way an alternative to Zwift for me. It basically lacks all the things that attract me to Zwift ie. group rides, races, structured workouts. But if I had GTA I would certainly give it a go for variety.
Old 02-27-23, 09:32 AM
daviddavieboy

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Can you upload your GTA ride to Strava afterwards? 😁
Yes you can. The fit file is located in a activities folder accompanied by screenshots automatically taken during the ride.

Originally Posted by himespau
Maybe if I have a couple of weekends alone with lots of time to play around with it, I could get it up to where I would be comfortable with it. Graphics are a lot nicer than Zwift and I like the free steering, but Zwift is just so easy with the hop on and go of it all.
If you decide to give it another go I made a video to help. If GTA is installed already and working it literally takes 5 minuets to set this up.

Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 02-27-23, 11:13 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
finally took the time to search up gtav. had no clue what it was, now that i do...is there a free version that will work with this mod? not wanting to pay for a game that i will very very very likely never use outside the bike aspect.
Old 02-27-23, 04:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
they occasionally have sales. They have given it away too.