Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why have this forum at all?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-23, 01:17 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts

A forum that is about advocacy and safety that does not allow any statements about politics is a fraud. Why the pretense?

An advocate is by definition "one who supports or promotes the interests of a cause or group". To promote a cause such as bicycle safety is inherently political. Politics is defined as competition between competing interest groups or individuals for power and leadership (as in a government) and is at the heart of the gains of motorists at the expense of bicyclists (and the environment).
Old 04-11-23, 01:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I think one of the problems is not distinguishing between "political" (of which "Advocacy" is a major component) and "politically partisan," which is what many people actually mean (I presume).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-11-23, 02:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
We've been here many times before, and I have no idea why we have to revisit this question so often. I'm not a mod here, but wonder when they will run out of patience.

So, again.

There's advocacy, or we might say Issue politics, and there's general politics. So feel free to post here about a specific bike related advocacy or political issue, but stay away from general partisan issues.

For my part, I actually don't get involved in advocacy because it's too much like preaching to the choir. Instead I try to focus on safety info that might be of value to readers here on BF.

Then again, if this forum isn't your cup of tea, leave it those for whom it is.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-11-23, 02:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
There is a politics forum. There is absolutely nothing keeping you from getting access to the P&R forum and discussing the politics of bike advocacy in that forum, where it is allowed. It is not allowed here. If your post is fundamentally about politics, it belongs in P&R. If you have a problem with the forum rules, then maybe this forum isn't for you. I guarantee that most people don't want to talk politics in a bike forum

There really isn't anything to discuss about this so I'm closing it.
Likes For unterhausen: